CW Spur???

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this spur in a public park that a CW battle occured around. It has been broke and repaired for continued use.. Experts Please chime in in. Is this a Texas Confederate spur or post war..Weatern Arkansas is the area spur.jpg spur2.jpg spuyr3.jpg

Upvote 8

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice find

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, a caution-note. The following info is JUST a "rule-of-thumb"... which means, there are some exceptions to the rule. It's not an "always" rule.

Usually, when a BRASS spur's strapholder has two rectangular slots and the strapholder has a sloping connection to the spur's "arms" (like we see on yours), the spur is Confederate-made. Yankee spurs tend to have a 90-degree junction where the strapholder joins the "arm." To see what I'm talking about, compare that area on the brass spurs in the photos below. Remember, I'm only talking about spurs with two rectangular slots in the strapholder.

I know there is a collectors reference-book on civil war spurs, but I don't own it. Perhaps somebody here knows its title, and can check it to find an exact match for your spur.

Attachments

• horsegear_spur_CS-style_with-rowel.jpg
    horsegear_spur_CS-style_with-rowel.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 96
  • horsegear_spur_POSTWAR_US-Model-1903_marked-RIA-1904_sideview_TN.jpg
    horsegear_spur_POSTWAR_US-Model-1903_marked-RIA-1904_sideview_TN.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 90

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this one near my sons house on the farm this summer not far from this New York button. Great information. image.jpg
Great find!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VaNana and Corsair48, I did some additional research for you. The collectors' reference-book I mentioned (but could not name) in my previous reply is "Historic American Spurs." It is cited as the reference source at the following webpage, which shows several of the many-many varieties of civil war era Military spurs. (Many Civilian spurs also got used in the war, but collectors do not view those as Military spurs.) Unfortunately, that webpage shows only a few of the varieties of Confederate Military spurs.
Ridgeway Reference Archive  Horse equipment, spurs

VaNana, your spur is a US Cavalry Model-1859 Enlisted-men's spur.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, a caution-note. The following info is JUST a "rule-of-thumb"... which means, there are some exceptions to the rule. It's not an "always" rule.

Usually, when a BRASS spur's strapholder has two rectangular slots and the strapholder has a sloping connection to the spur's "arms" (like we see on yours), the spur is Confederate-made. Yankee spurs tend to have a 90-degree junction where the strapholder joins the "arm." To see what I'm talking about, compare that area on the brass spurs in the photos below. Remember, I'm only talking about spurs with two rectangular slots in the strapholder.

I know there is a collectors reference-book on civil war spurs, but I don't own it. Perhaps somebody here knows its title, and can check it to find an exact match for your spur.

There are two excellent books on spurs: Historic American Spurs by Howard Crouch, and The American Military Spur by R. Stephen Dorsey.

I recommend owning both.

That said, the spur most closely resembles the one numbered "CS4" in Crouch's book on page 54.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread