BLASTING CAP. Is it dead, or still active?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked down at a rocky area while metal detecting and I saw what looked distinctly like a blasting cap. I picked it up, and decided to take it home to do research on it. I'm wondering if it is still active, or if it is used/dead. If it is active, what should I do with it. I found it while walking towards some old woods to metal detecting in. It was next to a water tower that looks to be from the 1980's, I assume it was lost/discard while building it.

20140917_190146.jpg 20140917_190243.jpg 20140917_190723.jpg

Thanks, Coinman123

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ummm you saw a blasting cap, picked it up and took it home without knowing if it's live?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Jeff, call the bomb squad.

Coinman, you found fireworks, take a 2 liter soda bottle, fill it halfway with gas, hang that puppy in the neck, use some bubblegum to hold it in place above the gas. Lite and run!

JK, lite the fuse and run

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks used to me, either way I'd toss it back outside.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow jersey has metallic firecrackers?

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
This is one of those times you call the authorities and give it to them to dispose of properly. Not sure if bringing it to your home to check its viability was really the best choice. You do want to continue to detect in one piece, right?
Good luck.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah....not sure I would walk into the local police station and toss it on the counter though. Might not take it well. Call first or throw it out.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes coinman123, it is a REAL blasting cap. It appears to have already been initiated but it only went "low order" when it detonated . It may still have explosive (possibly RDX) inside but it's stable and will not go off (unless you start smacking it with a hammer or toss it in a fire!). Because it may still have explosive material, I'd just wrap it in a paper towel and take it to your local police department and let them dispose of it. If they can't they should know who to get it to. Again, it's pretty safe as it is now but best never to mess with that stuff unless you really know what you are doing. First rule on the demo range was "Don't pick anything up"!

Looks like it's still attached to a piece of "shock cord" which is what was used to initiate it.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...........................HEEEERE'S YOUR SIGN!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like being alive then never pick up a blasting cap !!!

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
It's spent. I was a blaster for 12 years and seen tens of thousands of these. Its a non electric blasting cap that has been detonated. Keep it as a souvenir or discard it. No need to call the bomb squad. BUT, like other have said, next time if you are not sure, leave it be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread