Found a toasted 1853 LC & toasted 1895 IH today.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't going to post these because they're toasted, but then decided to go ahead and post them anyway. I've never gotten these two coins in one day, so that makes it a good day for me.

The first find was an 1895 IH in pretty rough shape. I haven't tried to clean it up yet, but I don't think there's much hope for it. It was only about 5 inches down and gave a very good signal.

The second find was an 1853 LC. It was about 6 inches down and was an iffy signal. Glad I dug it! This one is pretty far gone, but at least I can see the date (I think). The back is really toasted, but that's the way it goes. I think I'm just going to lightly clean it with a soft dry toothbrush and then leave it alone. Looks too fragile to cook it in hydrogen peroxide.

Here's a few pics:

1853 LC dirty.jpg 1853 LC back dirty.jpg 1895 IH dirty.jpg 1895 IH back dirty.jpg

Upvote 9

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I hope I have found so many LCs that I consider not posting one just because it was toasted :P

congrats on the finds!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks a bit too toasted to put in peroxide. Nice finds though. Congrats! :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim sometimes if you get a bit of oil from your nose or forehead you can rub the face of the coin a bit and it will emphasis the high points on the coin and show just a bit more detail. Don't believe those will react well to the hp. That could be a candidate for olive oil or mineral oil. Though I'm not a big fan of the olive oil. Nice finds buddy. You've done well lately

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak em both in mineral oil, they will probably come out better then you think. Nice finds.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the "Toasty Duo!" am hoping to get some like that soon as the fields are cleared out here !!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I hope I have found so many LCs that I consider not posting one just because it was toasted :P

I still get a big kick finding them in any condition, but couldn't just ONE be in really nice shape? LOL!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll let them both soak in mineral oil for a few days. Worth a shot. Thanks for the tip!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Toast is good! especially better than no toast and no coin! I would be totally thrilled to find them and I wouldn't waste a heart beat posting them either! great finds

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice! are you sure it's 1853? Check out the head stylings of the late 1830s and your coin more resembles that...at least to me.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! are you sure it's 1853? Check out the head stylings of the late 1830s and your coin more resembles that...at least to me.

Definitely not positive, but the third digit looks like a "5" to me and the last digit a "3" or an "8". Since there were no 1858 LC's, I'm guessing 1853.

I'll have to check out some late 1830's LC's on eBay and compare them to my coin. Thanks for your help in trying to correctly ID it!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they look toasted, but I've seen some miracles happen :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread