šŸ„‡ BANNER BULLDOZED CELLAR HOLE = GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGRURAL BUTTON & 11 COPPERS - NJ, FUGIO,

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BULLDOZED CELLAR HOLE = GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGRURAL BUTTON & 11 COPPERS - NJ, FUGIO,

Iā€™ve been detecting on & off for the past 30 years, but Iā€™ve been going at it steadily with a concentration on colonial-period sites for the past 10 years, recovering many good finds. The last three years have been incredibly productive for me likely due to a number of factors; Iā€™ve been very fortunate, and Iā€™m thankful for that. I donā€™t know how long I can keep riding this wave, but for now Iā€™ll just go with it and always hope for the best.

One elusive object on my most-wanted list for a long, long time was a George Washington Inaugural button, but not anymore! :hello2:

P9110024.JPG

I recovered this stunning George Washington Inaugural button this past Thursday at a late 17th century cellar hole, and it was worth the wait. The harder the climb, the greater the view! :icon_thumright:

Hereā€™s a wider view with the button (bottom and center) and my XP Deus. While the housing unit on the XP Deus in incredibly small (like cell phone small), itā€™s not a matter of scale that explains the apparent size of the GWI button. These GWI buttons are huge!

P9110026_01.JPG

Hereā€™s a review of events leading up the recovery of the GWI button. I have some pictures of the button after some careful conservation efforts near the end of my post. I hope you all like the end result.

I had searched this cellar hole several times over the past year and had little to show for all my efforts ā€“ a few coppers and little else. :dontknow: The cellar hole is in a wooded area tucked behind a modern building. My research indicated that the dwelling dated back to the late 17th century, and it appeared that no one had ever been there to search prior to my time on the site ā€“ detectorists and bottle diggers alike. It seems that searching in the woods is most definitely not my strong suit, as the site should have been much more productive. Anyway, planted crops throughout my area and dry weather prompted a return visit. I had brought a small arsenal of equipment ā€“ detector, digging tools, and a sifter, all of which would not be needed. Upon my arrival, I discovered that the entire area had been recently excavated with heavy equipment (possibly for a parking lot ā€“ ahhhhh!). I went to look for the cellar hole at the edge of the wooded area for a reference point. It was totally gone. I stood there only for a moment or two regretting the loss of the cellar hole while gazing out at a huge area of bare soil intermixed with broken brick, ceramics, and clay pipe stems. Then I thought to myself, ā€œWhat are you waiting for stupid?ā€ ??? I grabbed my detector in the car and ran back onto the site like holiday shoppers storming the doors of Walmart at the start of Black Friday! The hunting went a bit slowly at first, but I soon had a flat button, followed by my first copper in a half-hour or so. When I soon after recovered my second copper, I knew that I was onto something good.

The site proved to be very productive, and I took full advantage of the situation, so please understand that this is a compilation post. All the searching and aftercare of finds, along with responsibilities at work and home, resulted in little time for posting on T-Net, sleep (whatā€™s sleep?), or doing anything at a slow, leisurely pace. I recovered a total of six coppers and other assorted finds on my first trip over the course of two hours. I donā€™t pull six coppers up on a single outing very often; moreover, six early coins is my best total ever, which Iā€™ve done a few times, but never in the space of a mere two hour outing. Needless to say, I was motivated. I juggled my schedule and got back to the site the very next day ā€“ thanks in part to my understanding wife who understood my need to strike while the iron was hot. I hit the site again for another solid six hours and pulled another four coppers and an assortment of other interesting finds. Photos of the better finds from the first two trips are as follows:

A 1786 (Maris 14-J) New Jersey Copper - The reverse side was more corroded, but at least I was able to fully identify its variety. The 1786 Maris 14 obverse only has a single reverse combination.

P9160223.JPG P9160225.JPG

Curiously, this Fugio copper has been intentionally scratched with markings. I wonder if it was done to convey some type of message?

P9160230.JPG

Here's a wonderful 1803 Draped Bust - Fractional Error Cent, 1/100 over 1/000, Variety S-249. Removing the stubborn buildup of dirt on the obverse side was a challenge, but the end result was good. The reverse side of the coin is incredibly well-preserved.

P9160240.JPG P9160244.JPG

Here's a close-up view of the fractional 1/100 over 1/000

P9160251.JPG

This King George II halfpence is in good overall condition, but the date is a big weak (175?).

P9160257.JPG P9160262.JPG

Here's an 1828 Large Cent

P9160265.JPG P9160267.JPG

Here are the remaining coppers from the site.

P9160281.JPG

I haven't been able to determine anything specific about this small, delicate brass ring with a heart inscription on the bezel. I figured it for a trade ring, but those are of one-piece construction, while the bezel on this ring is brazed onto the band. I still think that it's quite old, but how old? 19th century? 18th Century? The other ring is gold over silver, a technique that does date back to the 19th century. It has no hallmarks.

P9160303.JPG P9170316.JPG

The site offered a selection of finds ranging from late 17th century to late 19th Century.

P9160295.JPG P9160292.JPG

This seal spoon bowl from the late 17th century to early 18th century (probably a trifid-handle specimen) has a makers' mark - RP. If anyone has information on this maker's mark, I would very much appreciate a post on this thread.

P9160296.JPG

No complete buckles have been found, but I came across a number of fragments. A clear majority of the recovered buttons had missing or squashed shanks. Is the GWI button part of this majority? Keep reading to find out! Note the big, decorative button that had its center torn out with the shank.

P9160301.JPG P9160299.JPG

Here's some of the other utensils that I found on the site. The little pewter spoon is complete but very deteriorated.

P9160280.JPG

As a matter of course, I also dug the customary bucket of crap. I made sure to include this image for a little "truth in advertising." Anyone new to the detecting who might check this thread should know what they're in for when it comes to really hammering a site. It's not all GWI buttons and old coppers!

P9110045.JPG

After two visits, I was up by 10 early coins ā€“ colonial and early US Large Cents. They were mostly recovered somewhat of a distance from the cellar hole and closer to the roadway. I still had a good deal of ground to cover right along the roadway. Thoughts of further finds yet discovered motivated me to push for a third trip to the site, and yes ā€“ third timeā€™s a charm! :icon_thumleft:

I got back to site five days later and the better finds seemed to be coming ever slower. I had found only a single flat button while making runs up and down the site immediately along the road, when I hit on a small worn silver coin about 1 & Ā½ hours into the hunt. It was a Spanish half-reale with a barely legible date of 1790. I later found out that it had been utilized as a button, as it a trace amount of applied silver for an apparent shank.

P9160282.JPG

As a standard practice, I follow-up on significant finds by sweeping around the initial hole, and upon making my first full circle around the half-reale, I hit on a loud, strong signal. A scoop of my shovel did not produce the target, but it remained loud and clear at the center of the hole. I reached for a handful of loose dirt and fished out what appeared to be a huge coin. I noticed it was very thin. It was a button. I knew that GWI buttons are enormous in size, and what I just recovered certainly seemed to meet my expectations for the proper size of a big GWI button. I took a quick, reflex-like gaze at the buttonā€™s design and my eyes focused on exactly what I was hoping ā€“ one of the GWI button designs. :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: Though the initials were just slightly obscured under a layer of dirt, I could immediately recognize the letters ā€“ GW set in an oval at the buttonā€™s center, and that was that! The button appeared to be in an excellent state of preservation, which thankfully allowed for an immediate, no doubt about it identification. I continued to examine the find to get past the disbelief of what I recovered. I found a completely intact, ramrod-straight shank protruding out the back seemingly in defiance of the bulldozers that had torn up the area only several weeks ago.

I had searched for a GWI button for years, and then it happens as easy as 1, 2, & 3. ā€“ locate a signal, recover the target, and identify the find. Strangely, it also seems to happen in slow-motion; at least thatā€™s been my experience. I sat in the dirt for a few minutes taking in the entire experience, yet I felt almost a nervous energy. But more than anything, it was fantastic! I took some pictures and shot some video. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about putting the video online, although I very much enjoy sharing the story and all the pictures on T-Net.

I continued to dig for few more hours and recovered copper #11, a 1785 Nova Constellatio along with other assorted finds.

P9160313.JPG

I walked off the site in near darkness and went home a bit tired but very happy. The tiredness faded as soon as I got home for a closer look at my prized GWI button find. After a light brushing, I had some concerns about its appearance :icon_scratch:, but I began treating it in the same fashion that I treat all my coppers and any copper-alloy finds. Over a five-day period, the appearance of the button improved considerably. I became quite concerned with the buttonā€™s condition at one point, as I began to notice a yellowish-brown hue on various areas of the design. I soon realized it was gold gilt still visible from when the button was manufactured back in 1789! :headbang: How cool is that? Anyway, hereā€™s the before and after photos and some other images as well.

This image shows the button on the evening that it was recovered. Lots of apparent potential, but also a lot of dirt that required careful removal.

P9110049.JPG

Here's the end result after four days of careful treatment. :icon_thumleft::hello2::icon_thumright:

P9160210.JPG

Here's an image of the button's shank that remained wonderfully intact. :hello2::hello2:

P9160208.JPG

Here's my favorite group shot of my GWI button and the better coppers recovered from the site. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

P9160276.JPG

I believe that the buttonā€™s overall condition and appearance is quite good for a dug specimen. I just love the contrast between the ā€œGW ā€“ LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENTā€ legend with its brown patina over the gold gilt background. After reading up on GWI buttons, Iā€™ve identified it as an Albertā€™s W1 11-A (narrow spacing) ā€“ ā€œGW ā€“ LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT.ā€ Itā€™s a big 34 mm in size. It dates to George Washingtonā€™s first inauguration back in 1789.

Sorry for going on for so long with all the details, but it seems appropriate for big finds. I did the hit the site again on a fourth trip, but the recovery of finds slowed down considerably. But how about some heavy rain or some different settings on my XP Deus to shake things up? I donā€™t think it over yet ā€“ not by a long shot. I have one remaining area of high ground that I have not yet searched thoroughly. Thereā€™s a heavy layer of iron to contend with in this specific area. Anybody have recommendations for the Deus when working in thick iron? Finally, Iā€™ve got one spot staked out that might be an early trash pit, as I began to dig lots and lots of oyster shells while recovering a target. Thatā€™s a hole I need to open up soon for further investigation. Bill D. ā€“ Iā€™ll be sending you a PM to request advice on digging that hole.

Well, Iā€™ve got to finally wrap this up. I'm busy preparing these finds for a display at the New England Treasure Show in Taunton, MA this coming Saturday. Iā€™m all fired up :headbang: for displaying these recent finds at the day-long event, which is being sponsored by a local metal detecting club. If anyone in the New England area is interested in attending, and itā€™s o.k. with the Admin., Iā€™ll provide a link on this thread. Just let me know if you would like to attend.

Again, sorry for the long post. I hope the story and photos are enjoyed by all. Thank you.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 124

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a fantastic hunt. congrats!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have no words to say just how amazing that all is. Good job on calling out that no permission poacher. I've got one at my church yard site, just haven't seen him/her yet but they like to leave there junk in there holes. GRRRR!!!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. What an amazing hunt. Congrats on the well deserved banner

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
welcome to the GW club! congrats! what a awesome site.everything is in great condition!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to extend my sincere thanks to the entire T-Net community for all your very kind compliments, your words of encouragement, and the banner votes. I'm a flattered with all your comments. Being able to share a discovery with such a vast number of people is quite an enjoyable experience, a wonderfully positive uplifting experience. ;D I'm getting ready for a local treasure hunting show this weekend, and it's been hectic, but a crazy, happy hectic. I really liked some of the posting on this thread, and I plan to post some replies as soon as I can catch my breath. I've never figured myself for a motivational speaker or coach, but I think it's fair to say that I fired up some of the membership with thoughts of just what might be out there waiting to be found. If my post prompts anyone to get out this weekend and score a big find, well then I couldn't be happier. I understand that I'm fortunate to live in Old New England with a history in my area that goes back to the 1630's, but even in my neck of the woods, you really got to want it if you want to make the bigger finds. I had a bad case of desire for all that England offers for detecting finds, so I did it. I went detecting in England for a week back in 2011. You know what? It was great, but I haven't any interest in going back. Maybe I'll go back some year, but not anytime soon. I'm staking my claim right where I live, and the only person I'm competing against is myself. Every year I'm trying to do more research, :read2: walk more fields, dig more holes, and enjoy this great hobby. Thanks again for the kinds compliments and the votes. I don't want to change the tone of this post but I didn't finish the whole story on the site jumper. He did sneak back to the site between my 3rd trip (when I got the GWI button) and my last trip. Yes, the knucklehead left some holes, so I knew he had come back. No worries - he hadn't dug many holes and his detector appeared to be pretty pathetic - Is Hasbro now making a metal detector? :laughing7: I don't think he uncovered that much as he was working an area heavy with iron. He was probably disappointed that finding something besides rusted cans required so much effort. Anyway, I had hammered the site hard for about 13 hours; he was welcomed to dig all the nails he wanted. :laughing9:

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow...just incredible!...thanks for great photos and details...LOVED THE DETAILS!!

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story and great finds
thanks for sharing
HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Late to the thread, though I'd like to send my congrats out to you and the great looking banner finds that you saved from the site.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That was a great post Silver Tree Chaser, it was very well written with great pictures! :thumbsup:
This is exactly how I like to post my finds, they need to be told as a story from start to finish.
Not just ... duuuuuh I found this at a site so here it is. :laughing7:
The condition of your finds are truly amazing, the soil on-site was very kind to the metal! :o

This is the kind of thing we all wish ... is to happen upon an old site that's recently had the top 12" of soil removed.
Congratulations on your finds and on making the BANNER for a 4th time! :occasion14:
Dave

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an amazing hunt and finds!

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily my first banner vote ever. Such a trove of history and artifacts, opportunity, and persistence. A level to which all hunters hope to achieve.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now , which button do I press to nominate banner?

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fine selection along with your prize. Great post & pics. Great the way you cleaned & preserved the button

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been one of the most interesting reads on treasurenet for me. Crazy awesome finds and just love the story. I almost called in to work this morning to hunt my favorite spots, due to your thread. :D Thanks for the time in posting these wonderful hunts! Voting banner for GW button and sheer number of incredible finds.

Better late than never on sending a reply - Call out to work to go hunting? Well I can't openly condone it, but let's remember that no on ever lies in their death bed wishing that they had spent more time at the office.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stunning...a lot of us work all year long to find any one of these finds, congratulations on a true bounty and your banner!

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
What a great story, op that is a fantastic Gw button! best of luck in the future.
Ps voted banner and thanks for sharing, your luck and perseverance is definitely a motivator for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread