Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New pictures on page 2.

I think my morning just started off right! I was at a new permission house site dating to the late 1890's. My v3i was giving me a bouncing signal between 40 and 70 at 5 inches when this popped out of the ground at 12 inches and I decided it was time to take a lunch break!! I was very surprised and NOT expecting this... I was 90% sure I knew what it was based off the lead backing with iron spots of long gone hooks! Sadly, the target was one I would have normally passed over based on the bouncing vdi readings and the two pieces of trash I had just dug with similar readings, however I was just reading a lot about masking with signals so I decided to dig everything today. Glad I did. Lesson Learned.

This is the first type of plate I have ever found. I rinsed it with just water... no brush... just water! I could not identify it until some dirt was removed as you can see in the pictures below.
How can I remove the rest of the dirt without hurting any patina? Mineral Oil? Peroxide? Any suggestions on cleaning a plate like this would be much appreciated. I have never tried to clean something with brass and lead together and I don't want to screw it up! I don't care if it has to soak in oil for months! I also don't know anything about breastplates, so any help on an ID would be great!

Front as found.
front uncleaned.jpg

Back as found.
back uncleaned.jpg

Rinsed with water.
front2.jpg
front1.jpg

Toothpicked!
Plate Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice save. Congrats on a real piece of treasure! GL&HH.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys! I put together a box a few weeks ago to better display the plate, so its now hanging in my office with some other period finds. Another two favorites in the box I dug 15 years ago, are the Three Ringer and picture frame (some silver plating is still visible on the back). The significant thing about those two are that I found them both in the same hole on top of one another. The bullet is a dropped Washington Arsenal Star Base that has been chewed or carved on the bottom. I still think about the soldier that was sitting on the hill I found them on, with the picture and passing time chewing\carving the base of the bullet.
IMG_20141124_074633381.jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on such a beautiful first! Looks like your buckle will be perfect after having it restored. Correct me if I'm wrong folks here but I often put a light coating of olive oil on my brass finds after cleaning to bring out more detail and then wipe it off and let it dry.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. A couple months ago I sent an email to one of the relic restoration experts in my area. I never heard back, so perhaps I had the wrong email address, or these breastplates might be much too common. While this plate is priceless to me, if I paid for a restoration, I am sure it would far exceed the value of the plate. I could probably buy a few plates in better condition, for the same cost. So I figured it was okay that I didn't hear back... its pretty beat up, but it displays well... if you get the lighting just right, squint one eye and look at it from an angle. :laughing7:

I have used a coating of olive oil on some relics before. I was concerned with this one that olive oil would darken the contrast between the brown background and raised eagle, so I just used Human Oil :evil4: haha I rubbed the high relief of the eagle with some oil from my skin to make it stand out. I suppose I could have done the same thing with olive oil if I got a super light coating to only touch the raised part of the eagle.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, might be worth getting restored.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great find. Congrats on your first plate. I would dry brush the front only. In the future, I wouldnt even put water on brass, often changes the color. Dont over clean, looks great how it is.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. Congrats on your first plate. I would dry brush the front only. In the future, I wouldnt even put water on brass, often changes the color. Dont over clean, looks great how it is.

Agreed! Nice find, and I would never consider a CW plate "common" in 2014!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! It's definitely not a common find for me, I just meant common when it comes to restoration. The restoration before and after pictures are incredible and seem to be on more rare artifacts. Finding this was a huge surprise... I was expecting a large piece of iron junk at that depth. I couldn't believe it when this came out. I've dug 100's of similar holes on similar signals and finally got a good one.

Thank you all again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread