Tiny Pin, Other Stuff & The Usual Clad.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to hit a park today because I haven't in a while. It's not very old but I figured I might get lucky anyway.

I got a hit almost immediately near a park bench and dug up a TINY pin of some type, maybe a lapel pin. At first I thought I may have found some good gold (again) but I didn't. It looks to be plated but there are no markings of any kind.

It's bent, has a cross, a crown and is marked "SPS" in blue lettering. If anyone knows what this represents I would love to know. I'm assuming it's for some type of religious organization.

Tiny pin and Other Stuff Sept.20 2014 001.JPG Tiny pin and Other Stuff Sept.20 2014 003.JPG

I also dug up another pin in another area that says "Herndon VA Youth Soccer" as well as an American Red Cross nail clipper.
I have to say that if nothing else, this a colorful bunch of finds today. You just never know what's underfoot.

Besides that there was plenty of trash and the usual clad, 20 in all; the oldest being a 1963D penny. I remember when digging up clad was exciting. Not so much these days.

More of The Usual Clad sept.20 2014 001.JPG

That's about it. There's nothing too exciting but I really enjoyed myself. The weather was perfect.
I'm gonna' try and get up early and pick a really good spot for tomorrow.

I ran into another friend a little while ago who is a third generation farmer on the same property. He gave me permission to hunt the farm any time at all. They have about 1700 acres. Maybe I'll take a ride over there tomorrow. It's less than 10 minutes away.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I love the Rosie. WH

That's not a silver Rosie. It's just there for scale to show how small the pin is!
I wish it was silver.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat pin there Garrett !

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the pin

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds! That 1700 acres will keep you busy for awhile!!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds! That 1700 acres will keep you busy for awhile!!

Yes it will. I don't even know where to start.

This family and mine go way back. My Dad and my friends Dad grew up together. My Mom dated both of them before picking my Dad. Ironically, there's an old house on the property that my parents lived in before my Dad built our house. This was before I was even born. It would be cool to find something connected to my own family.
4 of my siblings lived there as well when they were small kids (there are 9 of us). It would be neat to find an old toy or something that my siblings may have lost.

The original farmhouse is also still there. The family built and moved into a small rancher in 1970 and used the old house for storage ever since. The rancher cost a whopping 10,000 bucks to build back then.

It's a huge place overall with many outbuildings and a couple of barns. This not a small farm at all.

Across one road but still on the property there's another old farmhouse and a few old foundations. Unfortunately, a local radio station (WCBM AM 680) leases part of that area and has a 50,000 watt tower there. I'm almost certain that the high level of EMF will drive my machines crazy. I have no idea how close I can get. There are warning signs all over the place about the health dangers of EMF.

People have also been allowed to hunt the wooded parts of the property for as long as I can remember so there may be hidden treasures pretty much anywhere. I could hunt this place for years to come and never finish.

My friend's Dad, whose now passed, made a deal with the federal government in 1970 after building the new house. He agreed not to sell or develop the land other than that which was done for himself, the farming operation and his family, for a minimum of 30 years in exchange for ONE MILLION dollars, payable in the year 2000. It was some sort of federal farm land preservation program at the time.

So, in the year 2000, he received a check for a cool million compliments of Uncle Sam and the U.S. taxpayer.
Sweet deal eh?? He was already very successful and very wealthy in land alone. He could have gotten far more than a million had he sold.

He had NO plans to develop in the first place because his oldest son was to take over the farm, which he did and is still running it. All of his 4 kids; both boys and girls, were farming, driving tractors and running equipment before they were even 10 years old. This is a very hard working family.

But, we shall see what awaits. Dunno' if I'll go there today but it's definitely on the list.

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread