HUGE SILVER SCORE, A PILE OF SILVER HALF DOLLARS IN THE SUPERMARKET CASHIER TRAY!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went metal detecting, and stepped on a yellow jacket's nest, and end up getting a sting to the leg. I then go to the Supermarket, and a woman was putting coins in the self checkout station. I noticed a silver edge in the quarter section. I told her I collect coins, and I'm wondering if I can buy that quarter with the silver edge, sure enough she said yes, and it was a 1964 silver quarter. Than she says that the tray at the service desk is full of silver dollars, and that I could buy them. I figured that she might have an Ike dollar or two, but I figured it was worth checking. She then said some of them are worn, but they are from around the 1930's, at that point I'm thinking maybe there might be something there, maybe a piece dollar which would be incredible. Finally she pull out the tray and I feel like I might have a heart-attack, the tray was overflowing with walking liberty half dollars. She asked how many I would like, I quickly said, "I'll buy them all." She said OK, but she warned me that some of them are pretty worn. She took them all out, and put them in piles of two, the grand total, 16 dollars. I had no cash on me, and she said no credit cards, so I got $20 from the ATM, which was only 20 feet away from the tray. Than she hands the 90% 32 walking liberty half dollar to me, plus the four dollars in change, and I run to the car with them, clumsily dropping all of them on the pavement, but I picked all of them up, and made it home.

The dates are:

1917p X2
1934p
1934s
1935p X2
1936P
1936d
1937p X2
1938p
1939p X2
1940p X2
1941p X2
1941s
1942p X2
1942s
1943p
1943s
1944p X2
1944d
1945p
1945s
1946p X2
1947p X2

and finally my 1964p quarter.

20140921_183433.jpg 20140921_183557.jpg 20140921_184535(0).jpg 20140921_184121.jpg 20140921_183850.jpg 20140921_182941.jpg 20140921_183359.jpg 20140921_183856.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 41

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
tard comment level: over 9000. She could/would have been fired if she took a profit off those coins. It's a retail store, not a yard sale. :::facepalm:::
You're a very classy gentleman and the obvious brainchild behind the tard meter. -Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a very classy gentleman and the obvious brainchild behind the tard meter. -Happy Hunting!

Sometimes coarse sandpaper is needed for stubborn splintering burrs.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes coarse sandpaper is needed for stubborn splintering burrs.

Lol. I don't know what got into me with that first comment but I rescinded later down the thread. I'm very happy about such a score.

-Happy Hunting!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Lucky save you made! Nice! I guess we should all carry an empty back pack....you just never know!

Somebody's coin collection got spent.

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I don't know what got into me with that first comment but I rescinded later down the thread. I'm very happy about such a score.

-Happy Hunting!

I just saw that. For some reason, I missed your follow-up response. My sincere apologies. Is there a post delete button on this forum? I'll gladly revoke my response.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! What a score!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, your comment has made more sense than all I have read. We can all feel sympathy for im sure most of us have been thru hard times and had to make sacrifices on things we wish we didnt have to with that said whoevers choice it was to use these had good reason now in different circumstances and in somethimg more personal than a large corporate location I know alot of us would feel more apt to share our knowledge. Like you said. "Knowledge is power" Now just go pay it forward somewhere else for good fortune blessing you.

Thanks For Your positive post RayRay.., Was having a bad day but now I feel a little Better.

Thanks Again & Good Luck out there.

Davers

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find on that one, I'd bet it was a kid got his pa's collection and spent it. I've got a couple places where friends work that pull silver for me. couple months back two teens changed 2 rolls of quarters for candy and energy drinks, all silver Washington's.

Mike

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! No freakin way! Jealous. I pay attention to all the change that is given me anywhere now. I have exchanged dollars for rolls of quarters from the bank and other places to score some silver when I am bored and can't go detecting. I am surprised at what I find in those rolls.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERY MONTH, I BUY ONE OR TWO ROLLS OF QUARTERS FOR MY WIFE TO USE IN THE LAUNDRY. I GUESS I SHOULD START GOING THRU THEM BEFORE I JUST HAND THEM OVER.
ONCE AGAIN, MY IGNORANCE ABOUT CIRCUMSTANCE, REIGNS SUPREME. I WONDER HOW MANY SILVERS HAVE PASSED THRU MY HANDS, UNSEEN.
I HOLD NO MALICE FOR THOSE WHOM HAVE GAINED FROM BEING ALERT ENOUGH TO GAIN FROM IT, BUT I WILL MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT TO MY NORMAL PATTERN!
I ALSO HOLD NO MALICE FOR THOSE FOLKS THAT PICKED UP ON MY MISTAKE WITH THE SILVER CERTIFICATES, SOME FORTY YEARS AGO.

HAPPY HUNTING, NO MATTER WHERE YOU HUNT.
MIKEL
#/;0)~

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was at the store today I asked the teller if she had anything, then told her that in the past I got old walking liberty half dollars, she said that they were sitting there for months, and nobody was interested in taking a single one of the silver half dollars. Anyway, I got nothing today, but I figured out something else about the half dollars.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
When I was at the store today I asked the teller if she had anything, then told her that in the past I got old walking liberty half dollars, she said that they were sitting there for months, and nobody was interested in taking a single one of the silver half dollars. Anyway, I got nothing today, but I figured out something else about the half dollars.

Amazing story and congrats!

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Some crack head raided their grandpas coin collection, none the wiser as to what they had. Probably bought cigarettes or ingredients to make meth with them. Glad you were able to give them a new home. Congrats! That's unreal.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I would have given her more for the coins. You knew those coins were worth a lot more so you took advantage. All for a little profit.

Good luck to you

-Happy Hunting!

It's a supermarket. This was not this lady's personal stash of silver. ??? Good for him for being in the right place at the right time and using his head. Do you think the greedy, large chain, supersized supermarket gave the original customer anymore than face value?? Nope. Didn't think so!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread