Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shangalang had some family obligations and couldn't make it to dig w/me, so I decided to go out on a little solo hunt. Ended up being a BIG solo hunt! Video is below. :)

I decided to focus on an area which was loaded with shredded aluminum cans, and start there, to clear it out while I was fresh. I got a musketball (.58 cal), then a fired .69, then a couple lead bits and pack rivets amongst the can shreds. Then I got a signal which was a little bouncy like the cans were. Flipped out the first shovelful of dirt and it locked right in in the silver dime range. One more scoop and I was looking at a silver in the dirt!

Dime in Dirt.JPG

The coin had a reeded edge and was smaller than a Capped Bust coin, so it had to be Seated or Barber. Most likely Seated for the Reconstruction Era site I was hunting. After blasting the coin with some water, I could see the date of 1876-S, which was the same date as an earlier Seated Dime recovered from this field.

Dime in Hand.JPG

I wonder if this site was occupied by carpetbaggers, due to the fact that the majority of the non-New Orleans minted coins we've dug in the past 3 years have come from this field. Most planters did not have that kind of wealth after the Civil War and subsequent economic collapse in South Louisiana, and it seems strange that this is the only field we've dug San Francisco and Carson City coins on--as well as a high percentage of Philadelphia coins (in comparison, 90% of the Seated coins we dig at all of our sites combined were minted in nearby New Orleans).

I was really pleased with this find, and figured I could go ahead and finish clearing out the can slaw and head home happy. Little did I know what would happen next... :)

I actually started working out of the can slaw area as I continued gridding, which was great. I picked up a couple glass buttons. There was really little in terms of good solid targets, except for an occasional modern lead bullet or pack rivet. Then I got a banging signal really deep down (Fisher F75 read depth of 8 inches, but the target was actually almost 12 inches down). I took two full scoops out, and the target was still in the hole. One more scoop and it was out. I grabbed a handful of dirt, and a LARGE silver coin slipped through my fingers and fell on top of the dirt pile!!! SILVER HALF DOLLAR!!! :hello2:

Half in Dirt.JPG

I was wondering if it was a Seated or Barber, or maybe some newer, farmer-dropped silver half (Walker or Franklin). I had a hunch it was older. Crossed my fingers and blasted it with water to sweep the dirt away without damaging the coin. It was a SEATED HALF!! 1872!! Not a bad coin. Not bent by the plow, although it has been nicked by it once or twice.

Half in Hand.JPG HDcleanfield.JPG

As many of you know, Seated Halves do not come around often. I was lucky enough to dig one last year as well, but before that I dug one in 2008, and my Seated Half before that one was all the way back in 1993! I seem to be Half Dollar lucky down here. Dug a Walker in 2012, then a Franklin and a Seated in 2013, and now another Walker and Seated already for 2014. Can't complain! I think it rained silver down in the fields here!

I did some more rows, stoked by these great silver finds. Ended up with another couple small caliber musketballs, and on one of my last rows I dug the center from a Boyd's Battery. It's a little daisy shaped center from a late 19th c. quack medical device which created a weak galvanic current for electrotherapy and was meant to be worn against the skin as a pendant. :) I've dug several of these over the years, as I recall I found 2 in Kentucky or Indiana, and Diggergirl found one here in Louisiana, and I have now dug two down here. These things seem to find me...or maybe I just know what they are and recognize them when I do recover one. 8-)

At any rate, I got home with the silver coins and cleaned them to remove the staining yet preserve the character as dug coins. Below are the before (left hand side) and after (right hand side) photos. I was pleased with how much of the rust staining came off the reverse of the seated dime.

DimeObv.JPG DimeObvCleaned.JPG

DimeRev.JPG DimeRevCleaned.JPG

And here is the 1872 Seated Half Dollar:

HalfObv.JPG HalfObvCleaned.JPG

HalfRev.JPG HalfRevCleaned.JPG

All Finds.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 28

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a nice find! Big congrats, that's killer.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Love the Seated Half Dollar, great finds!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good post!

Finding the things you expect to find us just great, it shows your research is working; but finding what least expect to find, and finding new and different things, that proves how great detecting is!
Keep it up and congrats on the finds

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so jealous! Haaaaaa lol congrats

Someday I'll get my seated.

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That is a great day!! I've never managed more than seated dimes, so I am definitely jealous. Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice silvers, showing it pays off to work the trashy areas. Congrats

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still waiting for one of those, my chances are greatly reduced where I live but still a chance...great find there buddy, hope the rest of the year is just as productive!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post!

Finding the things you expect to find us just great, it shows your research is working; but finding what least expect to find, and finding new and different things, that proves how great detecting is!
Keep it up and congrats on the finds

Very well said. There have been so many surprises for us this year. Best hobby in the world.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still waiting for one of those, my chances are greatly reduced where I live but still a chance...great find there buddy, hope the rest of the year is just as productive!

There's always a chance. Seems like just about anything can be found just about anywhere. Congrats again on that killer cannonball. I'm still waiting for a complete one of those.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice silvers, showing it pays off to work the trashy areas. Congrats

I love working the trashy areas, but I have to be in the mood to do so. Probably not the time when I'm 5 hours deep in the hunt on a 100 degree day. Normally I at least walk through a trashy area on the way out at the end of the hunt, and dig a couple pieces of trash. The great thing about trashy areas is that they're least likely to have been hit by others, and the good news is that one only has to dig and dispose of each piece of trash once, then you never have to deal with it ever again.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your double silver day Buck. Love that half dollar, and that's one that I've yet to swing my coil over. Nice going!!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Buck. Congrats on the big silver. My seated half had a big hole in ms liberty's head.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Buck. Congrats on the big silver. My seated half had a big hole in ms liberty's head.

My second one had about 10% of it cut off. Hole or no hole, plow-damaged or not, these coins are always great to find. Congrats on snagging one!

Cheers,

Buck

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My second one had about 10% of it cut off. Hole or no hole, plow-damaged or not, these coins are always great to find. Congrats on snagging one!

Cheers,

Buck

No doubt its a great find in any shape or condition. You don't see many of the bigger seated. Usually just dime and half dimes.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Buckleboy.....

The ( well one of many) , only thing better would have been an 1890's Barber Half in F+ cond. LOL

A great Day IMO.

Davers

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt BB. I love seeing the big silver coins come out of the dirt. Congrats on a beautiful seated half! :notworthy:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
What a great coin to dig! You just don't see them very often, good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread