Wow!! First Large Cent, Old Token and Other Stuff......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really excited about this one.

I went to a school where I once found an 1881 IH Cent in the hopes of scoring some jewelry or whatever else I could dig up. The first spot I hit immediately yielded an old token of some sort.

It's the identical size as a penny and says something like "national 499"(??) on the back and I think I can make out the letters "loney"(??) on the front .
There's a line of type under the "499" but I just can't make the letters out at this point.

After soaking it for a while I can make out a date on the bottom of either 1863 or 1865.

If anyone has a clue as to what this might be and/or how old it may be I'm all ears. It definitely looks as if it's been in the ground for quite a while.

Back:

First Large Cent & Old Token Last Hours of Summer 2014 001.JPG

Front:

First Large Cent & Old Token Last Hours of Summer 2014 002.JPG

Then, I had to relieve myself (which I normally wouldn't even bring up on a public forum but it's a major factor in the story) and decided to hike back into an adjoining woods. I had to climb a hill to get there.

I figured I might as well swing the detector on the way up the hill and I'm SO glad that I did because about halfway up I got a faint signal in all metal mode/max sensitivity and decided to dig it. I switched over to disc mode and the signals were bouncing all over the place which aroused my curiosity. About 7 inches down I found This:

First Large Cent & Old Token Last Hours of Summer 2014 003.JPG First Large Cent & Old Token Last Hours of Summer 2014 004.JPG

The oxidation was confusing my machine which explains the multiple signals. That usually means trash but you never know.

Had nature not called I would never have walked up that hill. You can bet I'll be scouring every inch of it now.

It's my very first large cent and I couldn't be happier, despite the poor condition it's in. I have no clue what the date is yet. It's currently soaking in olive oil. I'm hoping I can at least resurrect it enough to get a date off of it. I'm open for any and all suggestions from anyone who has ever had a similar coin dilemma.
I can read a few letters under a loupe and it's definitely a large US cent.

I even found some junk jewelry; a cool looking kids bracelet and a tiny "Holy Family" religious medal. A friend of mine has a 6 year old daughter who'll love the bracelet.

First Large Cent & Old Token Last Hours of Summer 2014 005.JPG

I also got the usual clad and trash but I'm not even going to bother posting any pics.

I hunted for maybe 80 minutes tonight and this was a great and definitely memorable hunt for me. It's amazing how sometimes you just get lucky and hit just the right spots.

I also intend to hit this place hard given what I've already found thus far. It's huge and I believe the potential is very good.
What a way to end the summer.

I started hunting seriously exactly 3 months and 1 day ago; the first day of summer 2014. As of the time of this post, there are only about 35 minutes left before fall officially kicks in.
What a great summer it has been.

Thanks for looking and HH

Last edited:
Upvote 9

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds, Congrats on the large cent

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats! don't stress my first 2 large cents were smooth.my third I only found half of it,appeared to be cut for some reason and finally yesterday dug one I could make out,1818.looks from the profile to be early 1800's but I'm no pro.a lc in any condition is cool.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a classic head. Only minted from 1808-1814

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually on further inspection it could be a later one. To toasty.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs! Congrats on the 1st!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the LC! I would try the toothpick method, If you still cant get a date try a pencil / paper rubbing. I also use the kids silly putty to do an impression.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, maybe in six months of soaking in that oil it will loosen up that crud and you'll be able to see a date. From what I can see from photos (hard to tell) hot peroxide would of been a good candidate. Once you get that oil on it I don't think the peroxide works as good. Dawn dish-washing detergent cleans oil great (thats what they clean those duck off with from oil spills) Peroxide does not hurt a coin, just sometimes that dirt/crud is clinging on to the little detail thats left. Sometimes it is covering that detail up. Your coin, your call. If I found it, I'd HP it then soak it in mineral oil. JMO.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, maybe in six months of soaking in that oil it will loosen up that crud and you'll be able to see a date. From what I can see from photos (hard to tell) hot peroxide would of been a good candidate. Once you get that oil on it I don't think the peroxide works as good. Dawn dish-washing detergent cleans oil great (thats what they clean those duck off with from oil spills) Peroxide does not hurt a coin, just sometimes that dirt/crud is clinging on to the little detail thats left. Sometimes it is covering that detail up. Your coin, your call. If I found it, I'd HP it then soak it in mineral oil. JMO.

I did the hot peroxide for about an hour before dropping it in the oil.

I'm picking up some distilled water today after finding a pretty good article on cleaning old/ancient coins. I think I just may be able to bring this thing back.

http://www.crustyromans.com/cleaning/

The smaller one has me intrigued as well. I'm beginning to see the image improve a bit already.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
CONGRATS on your first LC. That token looks like it might be a winner too.

Awesome job G424!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us .

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool finds, hope they clean up for you

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Garrett congrats on that first taste of Large Cent success !!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just identified the token thanks to Treasurenet!!

I found out here at this link:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/29950-very-cool-token-1863-a.html

Civil War Token.jpg Civil War Token #2.jpg

It's a brass or bronze Civil War Store token from NY City, 1863. There's an Indian head hiding under all of that rust.
What I thought may be "loney" turned out to be "Maloney" (it's REALLY hard to read at this point).
Yesterday's hunt just got even better.

Now all I need to do is restore it to a readable state if that's possible. I wish mine looked as good as the one in that picture.

I love this site.
I always get the answers I'm looking for sooner or later.
Many thanks to all.

Last edited:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two exceptional finds. With as often as I have to pee I'm surprised I've not found anything on my way yet! LOL Congrats on your finds. I believe I like that token more then the LC.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two exceptional finds. With as often as I have to pee I'm surprised I've not found anything on my way yet! LOL Congrats on your finds. I believe I like that token more then the LC.

Yup.
That was a first for me, that's for sure. I'll have to drink a quart or two of water before my next hunt. I'll also have to remember to keep swingin' no matter what. Had I not done so, I never would have found that LC. Had I taken a route a few inches to the left or the right, I still wouldn't have found it. Somebody up there was likin' me at that moment.

I found the token in the very first spot I decided to start at. I wasn't swingin' for 40 seconds before I got that hit.
It's amazing that we hit just the right spots sometimes. I love it when you get something cool right out of the gate.

I'm getting off work in about 5 minutes and I'm going back to that spot. Hopefully, no one will be using the fields. I've already found three nice old pieces and a small 14K gold earring there and I'm pretty sure that more treasure awaits. This place is heavily used.

I'm also leaning toward that token myself. Once I find out the date of the LC (if I can) I may have to reconsider. We shall see.
Until then I'll just like 'em both and be very thankful that I was able to find them.

Thanks and HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions