Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As usual, targets were thin today, but what I didn't get in quantity I made up for in quality. Here's the video:

During the first 3 hours I ended up with a piece of a brass stirrup and a decorated trigger guard from an early musket. Nothing else but can slaw, big iron, pack rivets, and some little bits of lead. Then I got a really killer signal right in the bottom of a cane row and popped out a pistol!! :headbang:

HPIM4823.JPG HPIM4822.JPG HPIM4824.JPG

Detected for another hour and a half and finished up the day with a decorative bit of brass and a lone flat button.

The gun looks like it is stamped "M" on the bottom of the barrel. I *think* I can see the oval and bench mark for Liege, but this is a much bigger gun than a muff pistol. I'm so stoked to have dug this one. :)

HPIM4827.JPG HPIM4828.JPG HPIM4829.JPG
HPIM4830.JPG HPIM4831.JPG

Was very happy to see a design on the trigger guard, which confirmed that that was what it was (star design). That's why I always toothpick these, rather than use water on them, so that I can see the detail. 8-)

HPIM4825.JPG HPIM4826.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 41

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Very cool find!

My Uncle Bill dug a similar barrel right in front of me and Iron Patch when we last hunted together and those suckers show up all over , I've seen several posted ,they must have been popular in their day for protection I guess

Your success rate is staying up there

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great day out. The barrel is awesome and so is the rest. Must have been exciting when you figured out what it was. Excellent find for your collection.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awsome find!!!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I received your VM & Shane's pic. I was out hunting as you predicted. That's a great find & made much better than the other early to mid 1800 boot pistols in the books. Is that your first boot pistol from LA? WTG, Q.

Again, you were lucky Molly wasn't there-LOL.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, killer find on the pistol.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing find.
Congrats.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality always trumps quality in my book - and those are high quality finds. Someday I hope to check one of those off of my list. Congrats Buckleboy!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SWEET FIND! Stoked? even with my bad back, I would be doing flips and dancing a jig (more like dying road kill flopping around). That is one of my major bucket list finds to find... congrats

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received your VM & Shane's pic. I was out hunting as you predicted. That's a great find & made much better than the other early to mid 1800 boot pistols in the books. Is that your first boot pistol from LA? WTG, Q.

Again, you were lucky Molly wasn't there-LOL.

Yes, that was the first one from LA. The only other one I've ever dug was a tiny one marked "HERO Mfg Co." with a screw-on iron barrel dug in Kentucky.

Yeah, that would've ended up under her coil. She's got the fever pretty bad, but the weather is not cooperating with her days off, so sooner or later she's going to go and outhunt me. :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find!

My Uncle Bill dug a similar barrel right in front of me and Iron Patch when we last hunted together and those suckers show up all over , I've seen several posted ,they must have been popular in their day for protection I guess

Your success rate is staying up there

Seems like these guns were tossed out fairly frequently undamaged. Wonder if they just fell out of favor when better weapons came along...

Trying to keep the success rate high. With the permissions we have at this point, it should be a fantastic fall for us. Spring will need a little luck, though... But maybe by the time it rolls around there will be a clear plan in place. :)

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Buck! So was it a boot pistol or larger than a boot pistol? What was the time frame on that weapon?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was that pistol made mainly of brass, have little knowledge on the old guns here. Looks like a super finding tho =)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, I thought it was funny how you were doubting yourself weather it was a gun or not in the video. I guess you were thinking it might of been a toy gun?

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I also dug one. Threw it in a bucket of odds n ends also thinking it was a toy. To my surprize it was a Belgium boot pistol, bronze.

Keep Swinging!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread