🥇 BANNER 5 Minutes: 1700 Halfcrown! Plus Beach Silver

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife wanted to head out for a drive early this morning to look at the fall scenery, and the deal is I get a few minutes to detect while she listens to music. I noticed one of my beat sites was cut as I drove by, so I stopped to get a couple minutes in. Left the car, and made a beeline for the foundation in the center of the field. Within 5 minutes I hit a high 80s signal, popped it out expecting junk but I was pleasantly surprised! Once again the plough gave me some goodies from a beat spot. I was so happy with the find I decided to just move on and save the spot for patriot and I to hit later this fall. One target dug and it was 314 year old silver!
Then we stopped at a beach - and within fifteen minutes I popped out the 1945 silver dime and tiny sterling stamped butterfly. Turned out to be a nice drive!
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG

Upvote 45

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding coin for sure. congrats!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a HALF CROWN!!! What a killer coin! You just don't see British Silver that old being dug in the states, let alone that BIG of a denomination! Wow! Stunning coin, and not cut! Wow, Wow, WOW!

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe it isn't up top yet. a coin that big and old deserves recognition. I give you my banner vote as well. the md gods were smileing on you.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Banner find for sure. Much harder to find than an 8 reale or a Capped Bust half. Putting my vote in now.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this would get up before my piece of toast, odd.......

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely a special one for me, and knowing the rarity to find makes it even better. I'm amazed it was never found before, I guess I have the deep plowing the farmer did in the spring to thank for this one! And finds like this really get the detecting juices flowing and make you want to get out as much as possible.

Other than the two 1630s hammered half crowns my buddy and I recovered a few years ago here in Virginia, this is the only other one of that denomination I've seen on the forums. And yours is an early milled example which are extremely difficult to find here in North America due to English laws prohibiting the export of all but small quantities of this type coinage to the New World. In fact, out of the 170 colonial silver coins I've recovered, only 2 are British milled silver and one of those was a pewter counterfeit. So in my opinion this is indeed a rare and outstanding find. Nice going!

I can't complain, the coin itself is a pretty good reward. :D

I thought this would get up before my piece of toast, odd.......

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To think your rookie a$$ is now tied with me for banner finds. Where is the justice!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 Pages and only 6 recorded on the UKFD :notworthy: I have had a quite a few shillings, including a York mint but never a big old Half Crown....congrats on making the Banner...PS IP you won't make Banner's sat at the computer...get out in them fields.

SS

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
That's an amazing find!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To think your rookie a$$ is now tied with me for banner finds. Where is the justice!

well by the looks of how you much he gets outs, he'll have another one on the way before fall ….

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Makes me wonder if someone skipped over it because of it's large size. I've heard stories of guys getting overload signals and nearly walking away!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your amazing 1700 Half Crown Silver find bud! :occasion14:
Wish my wife was understanding as yours about our passion for detecting! :laughing7:

Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver and the banner, it's not an easy one to dig on either side of the pond.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on rhe Banner! I agree with Crusader, hard to find these UK or anywhere else. Great find :notworthy:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen this thread yesterday on my cheap two year old phone, never did get the pix to load up, in turn never knew what you had found. Congrats on a spectacular find! I know the feeling I got on my big silver (of course mine was only 92 years old) I have been hoping that my first 1700's silver would be a BIG 8. I was working on a couple permissions yesterday that would put me in areas to find something in that range. Of course I would need an old outlaw to have broken the rules to find what you did. That has to feel so good! Do like Ace did, go back there and find a few more, 5-10 feet within that one!
Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread