Shark teeth find

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
I'm just learning tnet and sorry if this is in the wrong place. If it is please remove it. I had to show you all what I found searching the old dirt roads in coastal Georgia that are made of dredging from the rivers. These are some of the bigger ones and the 3in I found today.

staticmap

Attachments

• image-2879584996.jpg
    image-2879584996.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image-40804038.jpg
    image-40804038.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 7

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you are in the right place! Yippee. I am WILD about finding fossils and sharks teeth. My family and I spend a great deal of time in Venice on the beach (Aka: shark tooth beach) and also canoeing down Peace River. Completely hooked! In fact, here in Florida, you know the big piles of fill dirt that are leftover sometimes on the side of he road from construction, etc..., well one can find shark's teeth in there too. I even found a Meg in there once. As I am sure you know, that kind of dirt comes from the phosphate mines around here. Great fun for everyone! Besides, you never know when you might come across a little ingot that washed in with it, right? High five.

OP
OP
hunter2665

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Thank you mastiff4me. If you look close you can see a picture of a piece of a meg tooth. Wish the rest was with it. Hoping to some day come across those old coins I know have to be there seeing all the history here. Wishful thinking lol.

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you mastiff4me. If you look close you can see a picture of a piece of a meg tooth. Wish the rest was with it. Hoping to some day come across those old coins I know have to be there seeing all the history here. Wishful thinking lol.

Yes! Whoa. I love it. It makes my mind go to the place of "imagine the guy who used to have that in HIS mouth". :) Now, I am not sure if you have spent any time in Tampa or Saint Pete, but if so, you might just know him, or know of him. He is one of the best, most fascinating men to have ever, and I mean EVER, walked this planet. His name is Brian Evenson. He has taught my kids how to identify almost every kind of fossil/arrowhead/sharks tooth. He is a humble, though mighty adventurer, and keeper of wisdom. A super story teller, of our past. Grew up, as a child on Weeden Island, before it became a preserve. So, if you were 'bit' by the shark tooth (etc) fascination and appreciation of those (all) who came before us, this is (in my book) the world's #1 go to guy.

Every now and then. He can turn a special tooth into a piece of jewelry. We mostly like to keep ours rough and under glass, with the exception of one. Brian (total craftsman, too) took a small meg and polished it, and added a chunky sterling bezel to it. I wear it often as a necklace as my 'lucky charm'.

If you have never met him, google his name, and read a little more about him. He is a true gentleman, and salt-of-the-earth, one-in-a-million kind of guy.

My kids think he is a Superhero. Me too. :).

View attachment 1059542

View attachment 1059543

View attachment 1059544

View attachment 1059545

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds!! Shark teeth are always fun. A friend has one made into an arrowhead. Tony

OP
OP
hunter2665

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Tx ev1. Hopefully soon I can pick up a MD and start finding some real treasures lol

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1060784

This was out a Peace River. It rained all day, but not on our 'shark tooth finding' parade. It is amazing how many brilliant fossils one can find there, not to mention 'Peace'. :)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds, very interesting, did you just eyeball these ( I took it for granted you did) Would be interesting to run a detector over those piles, judging on age of those finds, there would probably not be any metal in there, unless there was some gold mixed in!

OP
OP
hunter2665

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Treblehunter we find all of our teeth just walking the roads. I was also wondering about mding these spots. It's all dredging from the rivers on the edge of the mouth heading out to the ocean. I don't see why there couldn't be a chance of old coins from pirate ships mixed in it. Maybe 20-30 miles from blackbeards island and the old forts from the Spanish war. You never know.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1060784

This was out a Peace River. It rained all day, but not on our 'shark tooth finding' parade. It is amazing how many brilliant fossils one can find there, not to mention 'Peace'. :)
Great pic...love that big cypress tree...I live in Polk county and have been to the Peace river at Wachula, sifting for shark teeth...that isn't a recent picture is it? The river should be really high with all the rain in September....we got 10 inches at my house in September.

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic...love that big cypress tree...I live in Polk county and have been to the Peace river at Wachula, sifting for shark teeth...that isn't a recent picture is it? The river should be really high with all the rain in September....we got 10 inches at my house in September.
LD. It was last year. I bet the river is very FULL right now. So, where is your favorite spot around here to go hunting!?!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treblehunter we find all of our teeth just walking the roads. I was also wondering about mding these spots. It's all dredging from the rivers on the edge of the mouth heading out to the ocean. I don't see why there couldn't be a chance of old coins from pirate ships mixed in it. Maybe 20-30 miles from blackbeards island and the old forts from the Spanish war. You never know.

You're right.....you never know.....unless you give them a try! That's what I tell the skeptical people when they say " I don't know what you'd find, but go ahead". Nice finds and nice pics and info to Mastiff too!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LD. It was last year. I bet the river is very FULL right now. So, where is your favorite spot around here to go hunting!?!
If you mean for fossil hunting, Ive only been one time. We sifted south of the bridge in Wauchula and found lots of shark teeth and fossils. We also sifted a glass stopper for an old bottle. At the picnic area where you park, a big oak tree had fallen into the river. I found several old medicine bottles in the roots and in the hole it left. I was more excited about the bottles than the fossils. I collect bottles and have over 300.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions