200 Year Old Silver and more silver, and more silver...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out diggin with Shanegalang and we had a long day out in the fields today. 12 hours total. Started off really slow, and then stayed really slow. He got a single flat button and I got a 44 cal. pistol bullet of some sort (ID help?)

HPIM4838.JPG

Then it started to blow up a storm and Shanegalang decided to call it quits and head home. I told him that I was going to get the site to give me something good before I left. He said good luck and drove off. As it so happened, I got into a nice little patch of finds. First thing I dug was a coin silver monogrammed spoon! 8-) This was totally twisted up like a piece of copper wire. I straightened it carefully with a lot of effort using a C-clamp (my preferred method of straightening plough-bent silver coins too). I didn't take a before photo, but you can see the spoon in the video about 40 seconds in...

Then the next target I dug was a great pocket watch winder (Federal era):

HPIM4839.JPG

Then I got a pack rivet signal. These always sound like zinc cents, and read 60-64. Well, when I dug the target, a silver coin flopped out of the hole!

182_0845.JPG 182_0847.JPG

It was an 1814 half real in great shape! Nothing like 200 year old silver to break the drought! Feeling satisfied, I turned around to head home and save the hot spot for our next hunt. Immediately I dug two nice musketballs and a heel plate piece. Then I got a signal that read nicely in the 50s, which is usually a button. I was surprised when yet another silver was visible in the dirt! This was a worn, holed, New Orleans minted half dime!

182_0850.JPG 182_0854.JPG

Here's a nice green cupboard key I dug, along with a closeup of the initial on the spoon handle. Anyone able to identify the initial(s)?

HPIM4840.JPG HPIM4841.JPG

The half dime had some awful fertilizer corrosion on the face of it, but I was able to get most of it off without harming the coin, using the aluminum foil and baking soda "weak electrolysis" method to bind the silver sulfide and remove it from the coin.

HPIM4832.JPG HPIM4836.JPG HPIM4837.JPG

And here's the 1814 half real and a photo of all the finds with the straightened coin silver spoon. The half real is exactly 200 years old. :) Great to get another Spanish/Mexican Silver for the totals for 2014!

HPIM4834.JPG HPIM4835.JPG HPIM4844.JPG

Happy Hunting All!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clicked the video, and it says it's private. so I'll have to take your word about the cool finds

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clicked the video, and it says it's private. so I'll have to take your word about the cool finds

I fixed the problem. You should be able to view the video now.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Buck, you sure are on a great spot. I can't wait to see what you get up next.
ZDD

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice way of breaking the drought, a good day for sure.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some killer finds my friend. Congrats.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how hard do you think Shanegalang is kicking himself[emoji2] great finds Buck

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another productive day in the fields Buck. Nice going on all the silver. Dan and I will be getting out for our first field hunt of the season tomorrow. We're hitting one of our old, pounded sites, and I'm not expecting much, but it'll feel great to be back swinging again after a several month hiatus.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how hard do you think Shanegalang is kicking himself[emoji2] great finds Buck

Probably pretty hard. He texted me and said that we must not have been hunting in the right place while he was there. I said that wasn't necessarily true. We have had days like that with literally one lone all-star find in the middle of a field all day. We just gotta do what we gotta do. We'll have some great hunts, but also slow ones too. Even our slow ones here are on par with some of the best hunts I ever had living in KY and VA. It's part knowledge, part persistence, and part faith to hunt the cane fields. Just because we don't find something good in 10 hours doesn't mean that the method or location are bad. We've found enough enough great finds to have faith in how we do things now. Sucks that he left, but the rest will be there for him when we return.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another productive day in the fields Buck. Nice going on all the silver. Dan and I will be getting out for our first field hunt of the season tomorrow. We're hitting one of our old, pounded sites, and I'm not expecting much, but it'll feel great to be back swinging again after a several month hiatus.

Good luck in your hunt! We never took a break, but there were some bad days when it did nothing but rain every day with 100 temps, so we didn't do much digging in July or August here. I think we dug twice total during those two months. The other detecting I did was in Virginia and at the beach. :)

I remember well the anticipation of harvest after not having sites for months. You'll probably do well for the simple fact that you're enthusiastic and positive about digging!

Cheers,

Buck

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another GREAT day, BB! The initials look like SE (or ES) to me................

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW

Just sweet!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 hours...that's a marathon of a dig.
Congrats on the silvers, and the key too

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds. The silver spoon is great. I like the personal items

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your great day! Nice looking silvers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions