After ten years, hit $500!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Since the first day I got my detector in July 2004 I've been keeping a log of how much face value I find and where. I've been closing in on $500 and woke up this morning only 28 cents shy. "This is the day," I thought, "I just hope the winner is silver." I've been hunting a mid-20th century home with a 19th century (long gone) homestead adjacent. In one area of the property I've picked four coins from the 1800's (1838 large and three Indians) and I've found about ten 20th century silvers near the newer house. I knew that a little effort would close the 28 cent gap and I was out shortly after 8. The first three signals were all wheats: 1936, 37 and one obliterated. After two Memorials, I was 23 cents short. My next coin was this lovely 1935 Merc; a little worn but a pretty sight for sure! I think all the other silver dimes here have been Roseys so this was nice. It didn't give me a classic silver dime signal but that's no complaint! 13 cents to go and I started whittling it down with pennies: 12...11...10...9...8...7 and that's where the coin that put me over $500 face in just over ten years arrived. Drum roll please.................................................a 1990 Washington quarter! I'd have liked a little more dramatic find for such a milestone but you find what's there. So now we're at $500.18 and looking ahead to another milestone (whatever I determine it to be).

Attachments

• 500 (Small).jpg
    500 (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 22

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on hitting that milestone. In my early days of detecting, I used to keep track of my clad finds and totals. Wish I kept it up for the 26 years I have been enjoying this hobby. I would guess I averaged about 80-100 dollars a year. When gold was much cheaper, I used my clad to purchase gold coins. Was nice when gold was about $400.00 an ounce.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions