After ten years, hit $500!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Since the first day I got my detector in July 2004 I've been keeping a log of how much face value I find and where. I've been closing in on $500 and woke up this morning only 28 cents shy. "This is the day," I thought, "I just hope the winner is silver." I've been hunting a mid-20th century home with a 19th century (long gone) homestead adjacent. In one area of the property I've picked four coins from the 1800's (1838 large and three Indians) and I've found about ten 20th century silvers near the newer house. I knew that a little effort would close the 28 cent gap and I was out shortly after 8. The first three signals were all wheats: 1936, 37 and one obliterated. After two Memorials, I was 23 cents short. My next coin was this lovely 1935 Merc; a little worn but a pretty sight for sure! I think all the other silver dimes here have been Roseys so this was nice. It didn't give me a classic silver dime signal but that's no complaint! 13 cents to go and I started whittling it down with pennies: 12...11...10...9...8...7 and that's where the coin that put me over $500 face in just over ten years arrived. Drum roll please.................................................a 1990 Washington quarter! I'd have liked a little more dramatic find for such a milestone but you find what's there. So now we're at $500.18 and looking ahead to another milestone (whatever I determine it to be).

Attachments

• 500 (Small).jpg
    500 (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 22

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
That's a lot of holes! Congrats!

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great that you have kept count after all these years. Congrats.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A personal milestone! Congratulations!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! There have been a lot of " 500 Milestones " lately and all are pretty awesome. Great job![emoji122]

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since the first day I got my detector in July 2004 I've been keeping a log of how much face value I find and where. I've been closing in on $500 and woke up this morning only 28 cents shy. "This is the day," I thought, "I just hope the winner is silver." I've been hunting a mid-20th century home with a 19th century (long gone) homestead adjacent. In one area of the property I've picked four coins from the 1800's (1838 large and three Indians) and I've found about ten 20th century silvers near the newer house. I knew that a little effort would close the 28 cent gap and I was out shortly after 8. The first three signals were all wheats: 1936, 37 and one obliterated. After two Memorials, I was 23 cents short. My next coin was this lovely 1935 Merc; a little worn but a pretty sight for sure! I think all the other silver dimes here have been Roseys so this was nice. It didn't give me a classic silver dime signal but that's no complaint! 13 cents to go and I started whittling it down with pennies: 12...11...10...9...8...7 and that's where the coin that put me over $500 face in just over ten years arrived. Drum roll please.................................................a 1990 Washington quarter! I'd have liked a little more dramatic find for such a milestone but you find what's there. So now we're at $500.18 and looking ahead to another milestone (whatever I determine it to be).
Very cool! I'm never disciplined enough to keep track.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at it nearly 40 years and you've got me beat by a long shot

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I been putting all my clad in a jug but only started that this year. I wish I would of kept track last year or so but so far this year I'm over $40 in clad. I will turn them in and give the money to the kids for a toy. The silver and jewelry gets put away. My wife keeps asking when I'm going to sell the silver and jewelry. No gold coins yet.

Last edited:

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Nice I been putting all my clad in a jug but only started that this year. I wish I would of kept track last year or so but so far this year I'm over $40 in clad. I will turn them in and give the money to the kids for a toy. The silver and jewelry gets put away. My wife keeps asking when I'm going to sell the silver and jewelry. No gold coins yet.
Mine asks me that too. I tell I'm investing in our daughters future. She gets to inherit all my finds. I'm gonna build a phat treasure chest for her. In the mean time, I get to enjoy all my treasure till I keel over :)
Oh yeah, that's one heck of a milestone! Grats bro

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected all of my finds and put my clad in a big jug since i started detecting. One day I'll get a rock tumbler and cash them in. Nice job.

Wheatsweep

Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super awesome. Ive had my detector for one month and am at 43$ but Ive been going at it like crazy everyday. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Super awesome. Ive had my detector for one month and am at 43$ but Ive been going at it like crazy everyday. Congrats!!!

Had I continued at my original pace I'd be several thousand dollars ahead! Once I started, it seemed a terrible thing not to find at least one coin a day. Fortunately, I could always go to my back yard and dig up something.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the clad I find to buy vintage coins for my son.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to cash in my clad and buy old silver coins, I'm hoping one day silver prices will go through the roof!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a milestone. I wonder what I have? I have kept everything I ever found except I used a bunch of my clad quarters on laundry about years ago

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That is definitely a milestone. I wonder what I have? I have kept everything I ever found except I used a bunch of my clad quarters on laundry about years ago

Time to unload the modern stuff, Steve; every time I get a dark piece of clad in change I wonder if it was one of my finds or if another detecting brother put it back in circulation. The coin machine at my bank never spits out the darkened clad so you can get rid of it without some teller raising her eyebrows at you! Maybe one of these days I'll go back through my records and provide numbers on silver, wheats, Indians, etc. I sold a lot of silver when it hit $50 an ounce a couple years ago (but I'll never sell my half dimes:laughing7:).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread