Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Found yesterday at an 1800s house site I have been detecting for several years. First heard of a stiver when a friend I was detecting with found one last year. Does not seem to be a lot of info about these stivers. What I found was that they were minted by a merchant in British Guiana and have been found on the Atlantic coast.
I also found a 1902 King Edward VI cent there yesterday. Had only a short hunt.
Four years ago I found an 1828 Nova Scotia penny and an 1814 RH token at the same site.

Attachments

• IMG_5605.JPG
    IMG_5605.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5606.jpg
    IMG_5606.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
Upvote 13

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great condition. Yeah they do turn up, I've found several. Only one that was fairly decent.

OP
OP
Almy

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Argentium: You are correct - I missed typing the second I.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a few also but not in that shape, great save...

OP
OP
Almy

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to know that others have been found. There must have been a severe shortage of coins for everyday commerce considering the many different types we find. But a little hard to understand why we find so many in the soil if they were scarce and valuable. The yards would not have been mowed and manicured as they are today and that may have contributed to loss. A dropped one would be very hard to find then, I expect.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know that others have been found. There must have been a severe shortage of coins for everyday commerce considering the many different types we find. But a little hard to understand why we find so many in the soil if they were scarce and valuable. The yards would not have been mowed and manicured as they are today and that may have contributed to loss. A dropped one would be very hard to find then, I expect.

You have to remember an active site you can pound pretty good with a detector in 2-3 days could have 50 years of losses you are collecting. Just one old coin lost per year on average is 50 coins! ....and out of 50 coins chances are there would be something that likely would have been quite a loss back then. You also have to remember at certain points some coins were worth far less, so was not really that big a deal to lose... but as detecting people we tend to only look at what the coin is, and not so much when it was lost.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These Stivers show up in Maine as well on period sites ! Mine was not as nice as that one ! M.R.

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another first for me. I've not only never seen one, i have never even heard of a stiver. Thanks for the looks. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread