Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks , With spring in full blossom, the days are getting longer, finally a few hours after work before the sun goes down. I headed up to the local gully which once had many gold mines of the deep hard rock type and decided to hover over a few sections of ungraded poor yield ore, looking for quartz species. made a coil change on the gpx . The Nugget finder 12 inch semi mono coil is great on flat clean ground but tends to false signal when you hit rocks and stubble of uneven ground. Double D coil but coil setting switch i run on cancel as i,m only skimming a few mms above the rock pile looking for surface and shallow targets.Just not enough time to dig into the rock heap . Dropped the gain to 7 and up the fUQt to 115 to get some of interference out. Sure might be something deeper as this was just a random hunt. Always careful around the hill side tailing dumps ,they are very unstable . Dug a few bits of iron in the heaps and a bullet or 2 . Decided to move to the down hill blind side of the heap where had been a bit of a wash out just along the edge from the winter rains.

I reground balanced and what a crack Zip-Zip cracking chaos i just dropped the skid plate right on top of something good. So aggressive Kicked a few larger pieces of quartz to side and ran the coil over them expecting to find a Specie . nothing Dug a shallow surface shine to see if was a bit of modern surface trash. No Well looking straight back at me in the shine of the late afternoon sun." A gold coin Ugly" beat up pig of a thing " Like the old queen on the back, seen better days First gold coin and a half sovereign Happy To Start small and hope for larger. Really rough to get a proper date but i think 189?

tinpan

Attachments

• gc 1.JPG
    gc 1.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 241
  • gc 2.JPG
    gc 2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 268
  • gc 3.JPG
    gc 3.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow - amazing find, congrats!!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. Beat up or not, gold is still gold.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Is there a usual way?

Any way you can is probably the norm

Congrats , the first one ,for most,is the hardest, hope there's more there for you !

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but this is a gold mine not a gold coin mine . Hmmm unless i just found the first one . Never found a half reasonable coin of any type in this location . Everything relic or coin seems to knocked around . t.p

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a usual way?

Any way you can is probably the norm

Congrats , the first one ,for most,is the hardest, hope there's more there for you !

Hi Generally DD coils are run with coil switch on DD but social events with planted targets when the more tokens you find the better chance you have winning the comp. Just a quicker way to cover more ground and pick up the positive signals rather than tiny junk. Just used the idea in another application. With huge differences in ground conditions due to different types of mining from natural to unnatural ground . setting changes and suitable coil for each type is a necessity . 5 years on a GPX and still learning . This also the most mineralized ground round. Too many are quick to buy a handful of different mds but never master any of them. Too much product hype Sorry if i seem a little blunt but i have always said as it is .

tinpan

Last edited:

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I pulled a small cache of Mexican gold and silver not long ago, and yes the gold coins do pop out of some weird locations,question for you,does it say half sov on it or have you put it on a scale..
Anyways Congrats on a nice piece

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a small cache of Mexican gold and silver not long ago, and yes the gold coins do pop out of some weird locations,question for you,does it say half sov on it or have you put it on a scale..
Anyways Congrats on a nice piece

Hi I do have a problem . A miners right gives me a the right to take as much natural gold as i want but this site has a historical listing and taking of such relics is a No. Rather hand it in than lose my GPX and get fined . That's why i don,t seem that excited. I believe this mine was visited by Prince Albert husband of Queen Victoria in the early 1860's .

tinpan

Last edited:

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think you are fine,you only found a single coin,unless the historical listing of the area takes precedence,the way I see it is.9106 of that sov was natural at some point
edit- just realized your down unda

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the Gold Coin! Bet whoever lost that was pretty mad! Their loss, your gain!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious TP....when you turn it in, what are your chances
of getting it returned or at least get some compensation for it?
Does this process take quite a while? And what happens to
the coin after it has been compensated for? :dontknow:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Maybe you can't keep it & yes it's beat up a little - but WOW! :notworthy: :occasion18::occasion16::wav::occasion16::occasion18: :notworthy:

So excellent to dig an old gold coin & really cool to dig it among unstable gold mine quartz rubble. I think I would've laughed, then cried, then laughed some more. :laughing7::tongue3:
If possible, can you take a clearer picture of both sides so my old eyes can see your wonderful gold coin better? So glad you dug that up! :icon_thumright: Andi

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Goldy Tinny :thumbsup: But how dear you speak about your former Sovereign in that way.:laughing7:

SS

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you popped that out mate you'll probably find the species your looking for as well. I've always been more than happy to pick up the odd button and ten pence while trucking around sites like that. If ya turn it in to the local museum you can have a bit of pride it that find. Good to see ya still swinging. Hope to get out there again with you one day. Tinass, Allen, is chomping at the bit to get back in the gold fields and I'm feeling a bit hungry myself.
Interesting use of settings.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's on the gold coin, Tinpan! Thirty seven year's & still waiting! Lot's of gold rings.........but no coin...........:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread