Quick 2 hour hunt yields my oldest US coin to date!

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the day off today so I got a few chores done around the house and then decided to take my detector for a walk. I went to a new property that is heavily wooded, so I didn't have very high hopes of finding anything but I figured it could be a good scouting mission for the fall. The area had a good amount of civil war activity during the early part of the war. I've been told the property dates to the 1730's. I got to the site at around noon and realized the briars and undergrowth were going to be a real challenge... Along with all the beer cans and shotgun shells! I climbed to the top of a ridge and started swinging along a narrow deer trail. Dug a few pieces of trash, and suddenly got an unexpected high tone while I was navigating my way through a thorn bush. I love it when that happens! I new it had to be a coin, and I figured modern quarter. I literally only dug about 3 inches and popped out a quarter sized coin. It only took me a split second to realize what I had, a drapped bust large cent!!! I coulda left right then and there and been a happy camper, but I had to see what else I could turn up. Ended up digging three pieces of lead, pretty sure one is a fired .69 cal round ball, the others are too hard to tell. Also dug a small bell which I believe is a relatively modern hunting bell for a dog. The last target I dug is the small brass case. The two halfs were about 5 feet apart, scanned the area hoping there might have been some coins inside but no luck. I walked back to the truck grinning ear to ear, and I can't wait to get back there again! When I got home I was surprised by how well the large cent cleaned up. 1805, my oldest US coin to date! All i did to clean it was a light dry brushing and gently rubbed the heavy dirt with a q-tip. I don't know if I should try to clean it any more than this... any thoughts? Thanks for looking, HH!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep pics aren't working. We can't help if we can't see the coin. Congrats on the find.

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, don't know why the pics weren't working. Of course, now they're out of order but you get the point! Thanks for letting me know, they were working on my phone.

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Most of the old coppers I find around here come out of the ground pretty toasted. Finding one this nice was a real treat!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find. I was yelling at the top of my lungs in an empty field when I found a 1802 LC.

What a beauty!!!!

-Happy Hunting!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice coin. It's one that i would love to find, just once...heh.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the most I would do is use a toothpick to see if any more might come off. Looks pretty solid in your pics.

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. You on the west or east side of Chesapeake?
West side of the bay, I'm in the Montgomery/Frederick county area. Tons of history around here, it's just a shame that they keep building and paving over it...

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coin, i have come to the opinion not to clean my LC copper amnymore than just a dry lite brushing, i too live in MD and this soil is not nice to old copper,

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say 1805, I keep seeing 1803. Either way its a really great find. Congrats!

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say 1805, I keep seeing 1803. Either way its a really great find. Congrats!

I just looked at it under a magnifying glass and you're right! There was a little bit of dirt that was throwing me off. Thanks for the correction!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at it under a magnifying glass and you're right! There was a little bit of dirt that was throwing me off. Thanks for the correction!

LOL. And just like that your oldest US coin is two years older.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice oldie there !! Looks good to me would not change it any =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread