Panning and found silver like dust?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any pics? Mercury sticks to gold like stink on crap! If it stayed in the pan with black sand it obviously heavy......is platinum found in the area or silver?

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well I am only about 10 miles from where The California Gold Rush started near sutter mill / sutter creek. I live up in the mountains up about 2,500 feet elev... Have 6 acres of land and just moved up here so I do not know anyone around here but know there is so much gold panning going on up around here... Around the rivers and what not...

These pics are hard to see but to the left of the pan it looks white in the photo but it sparkles silver looking in the sun outside... Just not sure what it could be and how to find out... that was just one sample area i tried... and with it being always under the black sand when panning and still being there after about 20 strokes seamed it has some weight to it..

I am not sure if anything other than gold has been found here....

20140930_152344.jpg 20140930_152329.jpg 20140930_152334.jpg

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a loupe ?
What does a piece (speck) look like ? magnified.
Take a piece and hit it on a metal surface with a hammer, see if flattens or breaks /shatters.

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to crush a piece. If it flatens out it's probably merc covered gold. If thats the case, save a bunch of it and find someone with a retort to get it off. Vaporizing mercury is dangerous and should be left to someone with experience. I dont want to break any forum rules here but if your interested in a gold site with some very knowledgeable folks who could help you better than me, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link. I've been prospecting a few years now but dont want to give inaccurate info as I never delt with a situation like yours.

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick....I just got into detecting this year and just wanted to say your 1808 8 reale is what my dreams consist of! Wicked cool!

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the silver dust does act like it is gold..... about trying to crush it I can't because it is like dust so no way to really test it easily..

I know it is not really worth saving, but just wanted to get others input to see if it would be worth further panning from the area i got this sample..

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is gold all around you, and others are doing it, it sounds to me it must be worth it.

First I would have to know what you found if it were me. If you can't crush a bit, then do as Rob R says and get a test kit. Nitric acid even better if you could get your hands on a bit, as it'll disolve just about anything except gold.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick....I just got into detecting this year and just wanted to say your 1808 8 reale is what my dreams consist of! Wicked cool!

Thanks Bob. You'll get some good finds too, just a matter of time (and location) and getting youself on some good sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread