Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some time to kill before Nogo had an appointment for undercoating so to the Dingle we did go. Overcast and the bugs were super bad . Took a bath in deep woods off and headed for the deep woods around the Dingle on the land side.
After a few crusty pennies out popped this little jewel!

After a few more hills, trails and tromping through the bushes feeding the bugs I left. Pointed Nogo to the nearest park and met up with a real hero...super hero in fact!

After 45 minutes the knee gave out along with a few other body parts so I limped back to Nogo and called it a day...no quota today!

Upvote 4

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a "little jewel" for the keeper pile, nice.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
leslie,
Great find on that 0.925 pure silver, 1911 5 cent piece.
It's unique, in that it was a one year mintage of that weight; slightly heavier than all those minted subsequently with the same design.
Don......

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, great thread.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leslie,
Great find on that 0.925 pure silver, 1911 5 cent piece.
It's unique, in that it was a one year mintage of that weight; slightly heavier than all those minted subsequently with the same design.
Don......

That's an interesting bit of info, I never knew there was a weight difference of the 1911 compared to the rest of the series. Not mentioned in Charleton, Haxby & Willey or Krause, they all list them respectively as 1.17, 1.164, 1.162 grams. Without mention of a weight difference for the '11. There is of course a difference in the OB. legend.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The weight difference is shown between KM#16 and KM #22 1.1620 grams vs. 1.1300 grams; not much, but still a difference.
Source: 2013 "North American Coins and Prices" 22nd Edition; David C. Harper, Editor; (Krause Publication); page 303.
Don.....

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My krause is def. not that up to date, and no doubt not quite as specific. Would have though Charleton would have know that being specific to canadian coins only.

Again interesting, Thanks Don.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget that the 1911 Canadian coins were the "godless" coins. Makes it a little more special! :)
"Except for one year, all Canadian coins have featured the phrase 'DEI GRA' or 'DEI GRATIA' on the obverse side. The Latin words mean 'by the grace of God' and refer to the reign of the monarch whose likeness appears on the coin. The year 1911 was the lone exception. George V had ascended to the throne in 1910, so 1911 was the first year he was featured on British Empire coinage. Because of an oversight or a misunderstanding (nobody is quite certain), the phrase was omitted from Canadian coins in 1911--much to the outrage of the public. (Some people blame the Liberal goverment's defeat in the federal election that year on the 'godless' coins.) The phrase was restored to Canadian coinage in 1912 and has appeared every year since then."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread