el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the desert is dry, but to find two wooden dominoes in a small Asian labor camp, on top of the ground, blew my mind. They are 132 years old!!! They were most likely from the game pai gow.

Yes I did find another very small railroad labor camp but unfortunately two roads had been cut through therefore displacing most of the goodies. Plus it being so close to the main road, I'm sure folks have walked through it in years past.

Also found some old buttons, four coins, damper bowl scraper (made from wire), broken needle, a cutting implement/knife (with Chinese charaters stamped on the back of it), opium can lids, and one fan tan game piece (made to resemble a Chinese coin).

Unfortunately the site played out real quick. I only had about six hours total in it from yesterday and today.

Thanks for looking,
Kinley

Four Asian coins (2 Chia-Ching, Tao-Kuang, Vietnamese Minh-Mang (5 pieces)
DSC03268.JPG

Buttons, small flower, Fan Tan game piece
DSC03269.JPG

Two Pai Gow wooden dominoes
DSC03270.JPG

Cutting implement
DSC03271.JPG

Back of cutting implement with Chinese Characters stamped in
DSC03272.JPG

Opium damper bowl cleaner and broken needle or awl
DSC03273.JPG

Two opium can lids with makers marks stamped in.
DSC03274.JPG

Upvote 20

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some really neat finds. No denying there asian...lol.:thumbsup:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend made an unusual find in a Chinese mining ghost town, back in the 70's.

Inside a wooden box, in an attic of an old building, he found a handmade, 4 piece, brass bong. Bamboo stems connecting the 4 parts.

It was wrapped in rags, and there was also a small brick of hash, wrapped in wax paper. He smoked the hash, and said it was ok.

I saw the bong, very cool, hand peened to a round shape, and joined together with a dovetailed seam.

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend made an unusual find in a Chinese mining ghost town, back in the 70's.

Inside a wooden box, in an attic of an old building, he found a handmade, 4 piece, brass bong. Bamboo stems connecting the 4 parts.

It was wrapped in rags, and there was also a small brick of hash, wrapped in wax paper. He smoked the hash, and said it was ok.

I saw the bong, very cool, hand peened to a round shape, and joined together with a dovetailed seam.

Yea, it seems you never know what you are going to find in those old Chinese camps. The camps I have been in so far have lots of opium relics scattered about.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very good!
nice research.
that needle fragment might be a needle to ream a pipe?
paraphernalia!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really neat.Just don't see people finding stuff like that very often.

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There you go again... I'm amazed how you're able to find these camps.. The closes I have is the old Southwestern railroad which goes through Mount Riley and Columbus New Mexico. You have to tell me your secret finding those old camps along the railroad. keep posting those picks buddy!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice saves !!

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go again... I'm amazed how you're able to find these camps.. The closes I have is the old Southwestern railroad which goes through Mount Riley and Columbus New Mexico. You have to tell me your secret finding those old camps along the railroad. keep posting those picks buddy!

Thanks TY, yea, we will have to get together sometime and I'll show you the key signs to look for.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooden domino...cool.
I also like the "flower" button. Don't see many like that...I've never got one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool saves, it's a part of history of NA that's often overlooked or just plainly dismissed as the finds aren't war related or from early settlers from Europe. The cheap labour was brought in to build the Railways and other large projects, or the lure of getting rich from prospecting. Digging railroad construction camps we often came across the tins and bottles directly linked to Chinese workers that camped in the area during the construction periods. In the area we hunted it was almost a sure thing to have a construction camp on either side of a large rock cut or small tunnel that would of taken months to cut through.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. It really is remarkable to find things preserved that should have disappeared years ago, isn't it?

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I kind of got hooked on this part of history by accident, but am now truly enjoying every part of it.

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool saves, it's a part of history of NA that's often overlooked or just plainly dismissed as the finds aren't war related or from early settlers from Europe. The cheap labour was brought in to build the Railways and other large projects, or the lure of getting rich from prospecting. Digging railroad construction camps we often came across the tins and bottles directly linked to Chinese workers that camped in the area during the construction periods. In the area we hunted it was almost a sure thing to have a construction camp on either side of a large rock cut or small tunnel that would of taken months to cut through.

Thanks pepperj, I appreciate your input and acknowledgement of this time period. I have found that indeed there are camps near major cuts, or crossing drainages. Their cans and broken bowls are a dead give away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread