Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyday Needs for a Cowboy's Family

I hunted this cow camp in New Mexico and learned a lot by just the things I found. Cowboy Treasures 001.JPG Cowboy Treasures 007.JPG . I found these items which include stove top irons for pressing Sunday clothes,conchos from some cowboy's chaps or saddle, buttons,buckles, cart wheels,garden rakes& hoes.Dutch oven pot hooks, wick adjusters for kerosene heaters,pieces of and old crank phone,most likely hooked up to the nearest barbed wire fence to talk to a neighbor,plow and harness parts,a wash basin and wash rack made od stone and supplied by the nearest windmill Cowboy Treasures 013.JPG I even found a piece of a woman's makeup compact. Even in the middle of nowhere a woman from long ago thought there was a need to look pretty ! Treasures Nara Visa.jpg Cowboy Treasures 031.JPG I remember seeing some of these things when I was a tot ,but most likely they were in the endangered species list by then. It instills,in me, a respect for the people who settled our great country and the hardships they must have endured to make ends meet. My hat is off to the pioneers of this country from the pilgrims to the cowboys, miners, ranchers & farmers. God bless you all! And thank you for the country you suffered so hard to build! Rest assured the treasure hunters on this web site will never let your sacrifices be forgotten, by bringing our finds to the forefront to be enjoyed and acknowledged by the world! The Kid:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 6

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Texas Kid ! Nice relics man - I have a deep love for New Mexico - I lived there for 40 years (Santa Fe mostly ) and I'm moving
back there in a few months . Generally speaking , what part of the state were you hunting ?

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have lived in Texas on the border with New Mexico most of my life! These finds were in the desert of eastern highlands on the Canadian River! Love that country! You can spend all day hunting there and the only sounds you might hear are the sounds of your detector and the wind blowing through the grass! It's worth every minute ! Good hunting to you and thanks for the comeback! Good luck on your move back!! The Kid:icon_thumright:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a post that inspires me. Finding gold and silver is ALWAYS cool, but history and the sharing of it....with a spirit of gratitude, is worth its weight in.....well clad at least! lol! Thank you sir, my fiancee is from Taos and she wants to visit before years end...your post has helped me maybe find some time? We will see....,Brother Al.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm becoming a big believer in those "out in the sticks " kind of hunts ! A place a lot of T-net members spend most if not all of their
time hunting . With people increasingly looking at metal detectorists as "persona non grata " and cities and towns putting up regulations
against detectors , It looks better and better to just get the heck away from people altogether !

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taos is on the Rio Grand. The history,like Louisiana, is unbelievable, You have an invite to go,don't hesitate one second! Pack those bags and get in the field.You can fine history from when time began! Don't pass that invite up, Brother Al ! Go for it!!! The Kid :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with ya!! Well said!!!

Top Member Reactions