Civil War Silver - and brass, and lead with a couple of oddities . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Second half-dime from this site in 2014.

IMG_5074.JPG IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG IMG_5086.JPG

Straight shank Eagle cuff, but the face is in really rough shape.

IMG_5087.JPG

Melted lead is usually not very exciting, but I loved this piece. Wonder if they were making it, and it messed up, or did he just toss a good one in the fire?

IMG_5081.JPG

Pulled .36 cal pistol bullet . . .

IMG_5082.JPG IMG_5083.JPG IMG_5084.JPG

And this is weird, I think. This is lead, wrapped around some iron. Only thing I can think of, is that a bullet HIT something iron and it stayed together all these years . . .

IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5091.JPG

The balance is a cap, 6 dropped 3-ringers, a .44 round ball, and a round ball measuring .52 cal. What the heck? Oh and some melted lead and 3 thin brass somethings, with tiny pins. Maybe pocket knife parts?

IMG_5080.JPG

Upvote 7

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin PW and other relics as well. One day before long, these eagle buttons will be gone due to fertilizer and ground action. HH, Q.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No doubt Quindy. I found a NY coat button about 30' in the woods (at this camp) that looked like it just dropped off the coat. Gilt all over the place. But 50 feet away in the field, they are barely recognizable as NY buttons. Fertilizer is HARD on relics. (Not to mention plows)

I'm hardcore CW relic guy not into coins - but if I find a coin in a camp or battlefield that dates to the right time . . . I get pretty excited.

Any alternative theories on the lead + iron find?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No doubt Quindy. I found a NY coat button about 30' in the woods (at this camp) that looked like it just dropped off the coat. Gilt all over the place. But 50 feet away in the field, they are barely recognizable as NY buttons. Fertilizer is HARD on relics. (Not to mention plows)

I'm hardcore CW relic guy not into coins - but if I find a coin in a camp or battlefield that dates to the right time . . . I get pretty excited.

Any alternative theories on the lead + iron find?

I have found many lead encased pieces. Most were mainly iron square nails coated with lead from campfires. Who really knows? They spent a lot of time around campfires. Maybe a soldier stuck a square nail into the base of a bullet and pitched it into the fire or pitched a small piece of iron into a campfire and it landed on a bullet and the bullet melted around it. Your theory is viable as well. HH, Q.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty stuff, thanks for sharing, nice saves!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like it all! Your coin is in great shape.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]I have found many lead encased pieces. Most were mainly iron square nails coated with lead from campfires. Who really knows? They spent a lot of time around campfires. Maybe a soldier stuck a square nail into the base of a bullet and pitched it into the fire or pitched a small piece of iron into a campfire and it landed on a bullet and the bullet melted around it. Your theory is viable as well. HH, Q.

I never thought of that (Even with all the melted lead in my career)! Mine is dramatic and exciting. Yours makes a lot more sense!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great shots of the silver in the dirt. You find some great CW relics and like you said, finding a coin of the time can make the mind imagine some pretty good little scenarios.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You never know about camp lead PW. Look at what I first thought was just camp lead. I clean every piece of camp lead & I thought "that's a dog". It was verified a soldier's art by a local relic dealer & veteran digger. He showed me where the Unionsoldier worked the warm lead into the figure. HH, Q.

Attachments

• Carved Bullets 8-2-10.jpg
    Carved Bullets 8-2-10.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 210

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Under his photo of a NON-FIRED civil war .58-caliber rifle bullet which is partially melted, Parsonwalker wrote:
> Melted lead is usually not very exciting, but I loved this piece. Wonder if they were making it,
> and it messed up, or did he just toss a good one in the fire?

Rifle/musket bullets were not made (cast) by civil war soldiers. They received their rifle/musket ammunition as a complete cartridge (bullet with gunpowder in a paper or metal casing) from the army's Ordnance-supplying personnel.

So, the other half of your guess, "just toss[ed] a good one in the fire" is the correct answer about how your unfired rifle bullet got partly melted.

Because we civil war relic diggers often find partly-melted unfired bullets like yours in civil war military campsites, we wonder why a soldier would toss a perfectly good unused lead bullet into a fire.

Here's the answer:
Civil war soldiers serving "in the field" often had to build their campfires (for cooking and for warmth) when all of the available wood in the area was soaking wet from recent rainfall. They didn't have newspapers handy to use as a firestarter. But the soldiers did have an excellent firestarter handy... the gunpowder in their bullet-cartridges. So they would take some cartridges apart and use the gunpowder (and paper-cartridge) to get the wet-wood campfire started. But that makes the lead bullets useless, because the soldiers were not allowed to go to the Ordnance-supply sergeant and say "Please give us some gunpowder and cartridge-paper so we can make replacement cartridges for these leftover lead bullets." So, the unused lead bullets got discarded -- sometimes by being tossed into the campfire, so the soldier could watch the bullet melt. We know this information is true because some civil war soldiers wrote about that method of firestarting..

Sidenote:
Please note that in the info above I said "rifle/musket" bullets. The army would only supply ammunition for the firearms it had supplied to the soldiers. Some soldiers (in particular, wealthy officers) brought their own pistol with them when they enlisted. Therefore, they had to provide their own ammunition for it. That is why we do find pistol bulletmolds and "field-cast" pistol bullets in civil war military campsites. But we very nearly never find any RIFLE bulletmolds.

Attachments

• bullet_firemelted_.58-Minie-bullet_TN_photobyParsonwalker.jpg
    bullet_firemelted_.58-Minie-bullet_TN_photobyParsonwalker.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well reasoned CBGuy! I never thought about how I have never even SEEN a dug .58 cal minie ball mold. Very cool to read this explanation. If you read this post, I have a question: Sometimes we find an unfired .58 cal 3 ringer with a "seam" that goes up one side, over the nose and back down the other side. I have heard old-time hunters refer to these as "salvaged lead" bullets. Presumably cast in camp. Your reasoning would preclude that, and I have no issue with that at all. I'm just wondering what the story is on those "seamed" bullets. Are they just cast marks from mass production?

Quindy - very cool trench art. never seen a dog before. I have a couple of carved-bullet chess pieces and "random" carvings, but not many! I too, clean every piece of camp lead - seen a lot with P-caps mixed in, but this was my first piece of iron. BTW: Are those carved bullets above your dog, or Shallers?

Thanks Park Pirate, Old Dude, and everybody else. This is an 1862 short term camp, so the coin was probably in circulation for less than a year.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well reasoned CBGuy! I never thought about how I have never even SEEN a dug .58 cal minie ball mold. Very cool to read this explanation. If you read this post, I have a question: Sometimes we find an unfired .58 cal 3 ringer with a "seam" that goes up one side, over the nose and back down the other side. I have heard old-time hunters refer to these as "salvaged lead" bullets. Presumably cast in camp. Your reasoning would preclude that, and I have no issue with that at all. I'm just wondering what the story is on those "seamed" bullets. Are they just cast marks from mass production?

Quindy - very cool trench art. never seen a dog before. I have a couple of carved-bullet chess pieces and "random" carvings, but not many! I too, clean every piece of camp lead - seen a lot with P-caps mixed in, but this was my first piece of iron. BTW: Are those carved bullets above your dog, or Shallers?

Thanks Park Pirate, Old Dude, and everybody else. This is an 1862 short term camp, so the coin was probably in circulation for less than a year.

All are carved and found by me. BTW, Cannonball Guy is the best CW resource on the internet. He has taught me a lot. HH, Q.

Attachments

• Carved Bullets 8-2-10.jpg
    Carved Bullets 8-2-10.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All are carved and found by me. BTW, Cannonball Guy is the best CW resource on the internet. He has taught me a lot. HH, Q.

Yes - Pete and I knew some of the same old school hunters from back in the day. He is HARD to beat. Nice carved lead there, Q. I especially like those .69s!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread