Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks During the many years of the gold mining, Colony of Victoria appointed special police called "protect-ants." These police keep the peace amongst the Chinese gold mining community , Kept a watchful eye the other miner's who didn,t like the Chinese and sorted everyday issues and disputes. Often near the large Chinese camp there would be a police camp . Consisting 6 mounted troopers armed with Henry Martini's . Opium was quite legal like many places in the British Empire . With more than 25% of the Chinese community smoking Opium there was a good dollar to be made . The British controlled the Opium Supply on the gold fields. This continued from 1852 till the Substance Control Act of 1904 .

I went to the site of a police camp near a large Chinese community. Started just after sun rise . The birds were in full song but the Md was not.
:icon_scratch: Seems i had drifted away from where the police camp was . Lucky i spotted a bottle dump which gave a better sense of direction. Dug a few flat iron targets and then got something a little more aggressive . Half penny 186? and then a rather ratty looking sliver shilling 1873 . Closely followed by a lead Henry Martini 577/450 carbine 1875 . Plenty of lead seals of the bottle type . seems the police like a drink or two. Nothing for next 60 feet and then i managed a Chinese Cache coin and then another and had 4 in a hour. Even tho its still early spring the fresh breeze of the morning disappeared quickly and the temperature started to rise. In a matter of a couple of days the temp has gone up 30%. Yep with in a week or two the temp should start to get up to 90 degrees . Then summer gets really hot. I will have to switch to later gold mines where theres a fair amount of shade.

tinpan

Attachments

• pol.JPG
    pol.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 156
  • pol2.JPG
    pol2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 133
  • pol3.JPG
    pol3.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 142
  • pol4.JPG
    pol4.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 139
  • my.JPG
    my.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 137
  • my 2.JPG
    my 2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 144
  • undies.JPG
    undies.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history lesson, I enjoyed your post. Thank you

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Tin Pan. Your story is so similar to what I find here in West Texas when the Chinese came through employed by the railroad. Many of our camps out here are fairly small simply because they were never in one spot for very long, moving with the progress of the track being laid. Many of the same relics, like cash coins, buttons, a lot of opium stuff, broken bottles etc. Ironically, it sounds like our Spring as well. It usually last about two weeks here and then the temperature starts pushing 100 (or more).
Some GREAT finds!! Congrats!

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Tin Pan. Your story is so similar to what I find here in West Texas when the Chinese came through employed by the railroad. Many of our camps out here are fairly small simply because they were never in one spot for very long, moving with the progress of the track being laid. Many of the same relics, like cash coins, buttons, a lot of opium stuff, broken bottles etc. Ironically, it sounds like our Spring as well. It usually last about two weeks here and then the temperature starts pushing 100 (or more).
Some GREAT finds!! Congrats!

Thanks i been hoping for years to find the fittings off a cane opium pipe but only found half a broken ceramic bowl off a later one. Found lots of opuim tins but the ground is hard on them and are just a mangled mess and the bottom with the writing is missing . tinpan

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin cache! I have yet to find one of those, knowing me I will think it's a washer until I get a better look at it! Lol!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds & cool Picture.
My dumb butt was gonna post something like ' Did you forget to hit the Enter Button on your post back in April or May.'
Then it Occurred to me that your South of the Equator Daa.

With a low temp of around 40 o F this Morning our Winter is just around the Corner.

Enjoy Your Summer
HH

Davers

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks i been hoping for years to find the fittings off a cane opium pipe but only found half a broken ceramic bowl off a later one. Found lots of opuim tins but the ground is hard on them and are just a mangled mess and the bottom with the writing is missing . tinpan

Our ground is actually pretty gentle to artifacts, in fact, I don't know if you saw my post last week, but I had found two wooden dominoes sitting on top of the ground in a little camp. Most of our tins are in good enough shape to read, if you dig one deep out here it typically still has some of the orange and white paper on it. I have found a brass mouth piece and a broken brass bowl to Chinese tobacco pipes and FINALLY last night I found my first opium bowl that is about 95% complete. It is only chipped where it fitted into the saddle. I'm gonna hit the camp again this evening and try to post photos tonight or tomorrow. I want to make sure I get as much as I can.

Good luck, amigo

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tinpan thanks for sharing those old photos and the finds, have found a bunch of metal button like those, some came from my grandmas homestead site.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
History is what this hobby is all about, nice diggs

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and a fascinating post to read. I always enjoy seeing and reading about what you dig.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks.Thanks for the interest in my thread and replies t.p

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting site once again, and the link between the British and the control of the area's peace between the miners. The British really liked to control the Opium trade and it's kind of how they ended up with Hong Kong in the first place because of the Opium Wars. Good to see some finds once again.

Here's a link regarding the 1839-1860 conflict over Opium.England and China: The Opium Wars, 1839-60

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread