🥇 BANNER ULTRA RARE 1659 LORD BALTIMORE SILVER SIXPENCE DUG YESTERDAY!!!!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow — I don’t know where to begin as this was totally unexpected. My detecting bud Joey and I hooked up yesterday to make the long drive to a remote rural county where we’ve researched and hunted together before. After securing permission from the owner/farmer at a site Joey had been studying, we made our way to the expansive fields that overlooked the river. Joey’s research also revealed what he believed might be an early house site on a knoll about ¼ mile from the river’s edge. We began hunting there and quickly noticed that small iron and brick frags were spread out over a rather large area, but not really concentrated in any given spot. Our finds were rather paltry in number, and when we were leaving later in the day a hunter told us that a couple friends of his had been hunting that site methodically for years which explained the lack of finds.

Anyway, we picked up a few 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century buckle pieces, musketballs and some early pewter buttons but nothing of real significance. It was interesting to note that neither of us dug any flat or even tombac buttons which, along with the other finds, seemed to confirm this was a very early site that had been abandoned after being occupied for a limited time.

About halfway into the hunt I decided to make a big loop through the field between the knoll and the river. On the way back toward the knoll I tried to walk the most likely path the early settlers might have taken between the dwelling site and where we believed the early wharf might have been. But the field was absolutely dead silent until I was about 100 yards in front of the knoll when I got a nice hit that sounded like it might be another musketball. But as I flipped the dirt out of the hole I thought I caught a brief glimpse of what appeared to be a silver edge before it was re-covered. But I convinced myself that I was probably seeing things. Then when I finally located the target I was super excited to see that I had indeed unearthed a silver coin of some sort. As I picked it up with the dirt still clinging to it I saw a shield and immediately thought I might be holding an early 1700s pistareen. At that point I hollered over to Joey and headed toward where he was hunting. While on the way I flipped the coin over and the bust was very strange looking and I knew for sure this coin was not Spanish, or at least was one I did not recognize. I carefully removed more of the dirt to reveal more details, and my first thought was could this coin be an example of Lord Baltimore coinage? But that was probably very wishful thinking as there’s absolutely no way I could have recovered something so rare and valuable as that. Joey dismissed that idea as well and seemed to think it might be some obscure coin from a European country, and had me convinced that was the case as well. It was definitely a strange coin with no date and all the Latin inscriptions. So I plopped it in my padded keeper box and figured I could do some research on it when I got back home.

A little while later I got to thinking about the coin, and began to convince myself that it had a chance to be a Lord Baltimore specimen. I had just finished writing an article for one of the detecting magazines on the history of colonial silver coinage in Virginia, and it included a paragraph on these rare coins so I had some familiarity with them already. I also recounted from a few years ago when my friend Stan and his buddy Audie dug a Lord Baltimore silver groat and copper denarium, the latter which sold at auction for about $42,000. As Joey and I headed back to the truck for a lunch break I told him I was about 80% convinced my find was a Lord Baltimore coin. We both frantically got out our phones and quickly tried to verify, and Joey beat me to the punch. He was flabbergasted when he confirmed I had indeed just recovered a Lord Baltimore silver sixpence dating to 1659! This is one of the holy grails of US coins and we were both in complete shock. I later saw on the NGC website where it was stated that Lord Baltimore coinage is “decidedly rarer” than Massachusetts silver which confirmed what I already knew as these coins are almost impossible to find. Mine appears to be the Breen 68 variety and although it does have a few small spots of surface corrosion on both sides, I believe a professional coin cleaning can remedy that rather easily. But I’m definitely not going to mess with it myself (no electrolysis this time …. haha!). I also plan to have it authenticated, graded and slabbed. If anyone has any good recommendations for where to get this coin cleaned and authenticated please post your comments here. Thanks in advance for any input. And unfortunately the coin is holed (even though I think it gives it character) and that will likely detract from its value, but that’s not a major concern for me since it definitely WILL NOT be sold.

I thought I’d end with a little background on the history of this coin for those interested. Three denominations of silver coinage plus a copper denarium were minted in London in 1659 by authority of Cecil Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore, who believed he had the right to coin money for use in the huge tract of land he inherited which later became the colony of Maryland. His authority to issue these coins was challenged and he was arrested, and only a small number were ever produced before being confiscated by the Crown, but a very small number of these apparently got into circulation somehow and some must have made it to the colonies through the pockets of early settlers. So these are extremely rare finds here in the US as well as in the UK, and the 2 that Stan and Audie dug are the only other ones I’ve ever heard of being dug in this country. I’m still pinching myself as I never thought I’d ever dig one of these beauties. Hopefully this is a good omen for the rest of the season.

Attachments

• 100414a.JPG
    100414a.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 100414b.JPG
    100414b.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 100414c.JPG
    100414c.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 100414d.JPG
    100414d.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 100414e.JPG
    100414e.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 904
  • 100414f.JPG
    100414f.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 977
  • 100414g.JPG
    100414g.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 875
  • 100414h.JPG
    100414h.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 839
  • 100414i.JPG
    100414i.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 100414j.JPG
    100414j.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,261
  • lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    lord baltimore in slab.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Upvote 71

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's not possible to top that find metal detecting (but why would you need to ?!) BANNER !

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do ya say about such a find. Think it is safe to say that the most avid of hunters would likely not top that in a lifetime. Congrats

Oh ...... and banner vote sent.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely incredible - just shows you that you never, ever know. those who get out are the ones who stand a chance. great job!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted earlier on your spectacular find, but for some reason it didn't take. I think it went something like this---- DAMN! Crisp looking coin! Never knew those existed. Banner for sure! By the way, I've already voted!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:I can't believe you're worried about how the rest of the season is going to go! This find isn't going to be topped, but I bet you and Joey will spend every nanosecond available to give it the old college try!

Vote in

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Bill! If anyone deserved to find such a rare coin it would be you. Your hours of research and digging have paid off well. You are an ambassador to our hobby and give back so much to educate other diggers. Way to go!

Last edited:

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the good news is" fantastic find you have their, "the bad news is" good luck topping that!!!!
but i hopeyou do, :notworthy:
thanks for the history lesson

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a find of a lifetime!!! Take a look at PCGS's website- they now offer restoration- having their label on it would make it that much more valuable in the event you ever changed your mind and decided to sell. I couldn't be happier for you- absolutely AWESOME coin!

-- Jeff --

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing. I agree with ironpatch, no need to get it authenticated, there is no question of its authenticity and most colonial collectors don't like their coins encapsulated. That is just unreal!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's something you want found under your coil…simply amazing..No brainer! BANNER

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of one of them coins before.That's a crazy find! :)

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a way to start your season! Congrats on such a rare coin. Definitely a banner find! I'll be voting when I get to a computer but have a feeing it will already be up there.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable find! Congratulations Bill!!!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking how much motivation I got from you telling me about Stan finding his coins but now that I was able to see and hold yours, I'm ready to quit my job so I can look for one full time.

It's funny how ho - hum you were when you found it....you're spoiled rotten Bill!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Bill!Not only rare but the coinage doesn't get much older then that around here.How many are known now?5-6

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread