Another 7 Silver Day at Bixby Prk. + 1905 IH + Key date Wheats...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Well I didn't think it could be done. I didn't think I could go back to Bixby Park in LB and find another 7 silver coins, but I did. :o

I met another MD'er out there named Gary, who was using a Whites MXT detector. He showed me a bunch of clad in his hands and said the park was loaded with it. I asked him if he had any oldies. He said his oldest coin was a 71 penny. Within 10 minutes of meeting him, I had a deep target which sounded like silver. I told him to swing his MXT over the target. He did, but could not hear very much of anything. He said he would have passed that signal up. Within a minute, I had a nice ’30 merc in my hands. The look on his face was priceless. Within an hour, I had pulled two more silvers(44 merc, 55 Rosie) from the ground, each time telling him to come over and check the signal out. He still could not pick up anything. He was switching modes (from prospecting to relic hunting, etc). He said maybe if he put on one of those elliptical coils like I had, that he would be able to hear the deep silver. He couldn’t hear many of the wheaties I was digging up also. Well, he then wanted to know all the specifics about my detector. He said he was going to call up his buddy that sold him the MXT and asked him why he couldn’t hear any of the silver I was digging up from the ground. Shortly after, he shook my hand, said thanks for the MD’ing lesson and he left.

After breaking for lunch, I walked back out to the turf feeling refreshed. Within minutes, I got another Rosie ('60), and then right next to my plug, I received a very deep “zinc” sounding signal. At 8” out popped the 1905 IH. I was smiling. ;D The wheaties were plentiful today also. Got a few semi-key dates (‘11s, ‘26s). A little after this, my buddy, DanaPointMike, stopped by and after telling him I had 4 silvers, I ended up finding 3 more: 2 mercs ('45, '24) and "no date" Rosie for a total of 7 silver coins today.

The other 4 silvers and the SS religious pendant in the pic were from a short 3.5 hr hunt on Sat at Recreational Park in LB. That place is still amazingly producing silver. All my silver coins from both parks were found with the Coiltek Platypus Elliptical. Seems I’ve been able to get an extra inch of depth with this coil over the stock coil. It is also very stable in high mineralized ground.

Todays Totals from Bixby:

1905 Indian Head Penny
4 Mercs (24, 30, 44 45)
3 Rosies (55, 60, No Date)
23 Wheaties – more than I had found last trip to Bixby. Yikes!!! (incl. ‘11s(semi-key date), ’14, ‘16, ’20s, ‘26s(semi-key), ‘29, ‘30)

Sat. Hunt at Rec. Park
3 Mercs (1 split down the middle, 1 slightly clipped)
1 Rosie
13 Wheaties

Thanks for looking. Good luck to all!!!

HH,
CAPTN “SE”
Dan

Attachments

• bixby7_IH.jpg
    bixby7_IH.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Captn, what a great day you had. I think you better go back to that site and hit it again, before that other guy comes back with his new Mine Lab. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Captn_SE said:
I met another MD'er out there named Gary, who was using a Whites MXT detector. He showed me a bunch of clad in his hands and said the park was loaded with it. I asked him if he had any oldies. He said his oldest coin was a 71 penny. Within 10 minutes of meeting him, I had a deep target which sounded like silver. I told him to swing his MXT over the target. He did, but could not hear very much of anything. He said he would have passed that signal up. Within a minute, I had a nice ’30 merc in my hands. The look on his face was priceless. Within an hour, I had pulled two more silvers(44 merc, 55 Rosie) from the ground, each time telling him to come over and check the signal out. He still could not pick up anything.

Thats the exact reason I just sold my DFX and got a Minelab SE!!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome day there. ;D Seven silver and one IH in a day is great!

As for the MXT guy... I just borrowed my friends MXT for a Whites' specific hunt. I can adjust it to hit the coins in my coin garden that are up to 10 inches. The DFX has trouble with most of them. Did this guy lower his discrimination and crank the gain?

I do agree that the Explorer will get a "better" signal on the deep stuff. The other machines(MXT, DFX) will pick up the stuff but usually the signal is very "bad".

Bob

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds. The other person just didn't know how to run their machine properly.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a Will Ferrell movie..................

"crank the gain"

Attachments

• 38m.jpg
    38m.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 263

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread