The Gold Coin Horde Site?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the way home from work this evening I stopped at a house to get permission to hunt a nearby property. The land owner said "Sure, no problem...what are you looking for? Gold?" I get asked that a lot and I always reply that if gold is found "you'll be the first to know". He then goes on to tell me that the word is a horde of Acadian gold coins were found on the property 70-80 years ago. He told me the story and it sounded like a hundred stories I'd heard before. Everyone who lives on former Acadian land has one. Regardless I had him show me where he was told the gold was found. I figured that on the off chance that it's true I may come across a stray or two. Well, not this time but I only had 40 minutes of light so who knows what will pop up when I can spend a day there! Did get a couple Victorian coppers for my troubles along with a nice little sheep's bell so not a total waste.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412647206.615599.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Even a bad lead can can put you on the road to a great find
A story of a gold hoarde can motivate a hunt into a very positive thing, at least enough keep you out there looking

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Man. You won'y believe what IH got here yesterday, I got a decent picture of it.

I hear you on the gold poke joke.

Anyway the bell is a good find in my books.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be awesome to find some of them coins from the horde. We have a few stories like that around here too and sometimes the owners of the land can be very convincing. When I first started metal detecting I would get wrapped up in those story and break my back trying to find the stash but with no luck. I had one man even show me the hole where the coins were suppose to have found. I think some of them get lost in the stories too. Good luck on your hunt.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always looked at it this way. Whether it's true or not if we don't look we will never find anything great. We know there's buried coins out there. People used to bury coins all the time for different reasons. Some people buried coins and died unexpectedly and some probably just forgot where they were. There's been a few nice discoveries here in Maine. One is a pretty famous hoard that was found in Castine. Lots of tree coins as well as many other silver coins. There's been a few other very nice discoveries made a few Maine islands. One in particular had quite a few gold coins in it. These were found on an island that belonged to an indian trader. Let's just say he wasn't very fair and it cost him his life. A couple hundred years later the coins were found. Maines rugged coastline was said to be a great place for pirates and smugglers to hide out. Who knows guys. It does happen and I hope I never lose the hope that I could find one of these hoards. Good luck bud. It could be you

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLDDDD! IS that gold i smell. oh boy now i'm getten da fever

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its fresh in my nose!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet bell save there !! Don't find many out here =)

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Buddy, I heard they the gold coins were buried in a bell, and you found the bell so keep looking.:tongue3:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread