🥇 BANNER Very Scarce MODEL 1839 MEXICAN WAR Officers Shoulder Belt Plate (Variant)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, this plate was quite a surprise!...I was recently digging an old Dragoons/Cavalry camp that served as an important post during the 1850's and the Civil War...I had a few Eagles in the pouch including some Eagle "D"s but hadn't dug anything a little while. I was going along and had just dug 3 crushed cans in the previous few minutes when I got another signal hitting exactly the same. I popped a plug out alittle quick and haphazardly expecting it to be another crushed flat can but when I popped the plug over something was thrown into the air and was flipping and then landed on the toe of my boot....when I looked down I had to take a double take as I saw 3 perfectly spaced hooks on the back of a rectangular plate....and when I turned it over I was quite surprised with an rare and beautiful plate....this plate is shown in photos as it was dug and is fully gilted though I have refrained from cleaning it other than dry brushing it to remove dirt and buildup. I will keep it in this condition with the patina out of preference as it has a pretty dusty red patina to it. If I were to clean it though, it has all the gilt underneath as well as the German Silvered Wreath and U.S. letters. Definitely one of the best surprise signals in quite sometime and a plate every bit as rare to dig and even more so in many cases, as a Confederate Plate. We see Confederate plates dug quite frequently but you don't see these plates dug very often....definitely one of the finest ive dug and certainly so for a U.S. plate.

Model 1839 Mexican War Plate.jpg Model 1839 Mexican War Plate 2.jpg Mexican War Plate.jpg Mexican war soldier.jpg
9256946795_fdb408c795_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 47

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a for sure keeper, Senti! WTG!
Nana

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread