🥇 BANNER Very Scarce MODEL 1839 MEXICAN WAR Officers Shoulder Belt Plate (Variant)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, this plate was quite a surprise!...I was recently digging an old Dragoons/Cavalry camp that served as an important post during the 1850's and the Civil War...I had a few Eagles in the pouch including some Eagle "D"s but hadn't dug anything a little while. I was going along and had just dug 3 crushed cans in the previous few minutes when I got another signal hitting exactly the same. I popped a plug out alittle quick and haphazardly expecting it to be another crushed flat can but when I popped the plug over something was thrown into the air and was flipping and then landed on the toe of my boot....when I looked down I had to take a double take as I saw 3 perfectly spaced hooks on the back of a rectangular plate....and when I turned it over I was quite surprised with an rare and beautiful plate....this plate is shown in photos as it was dug and is fully gilted though I have refrained from cleaning it other than dry brushing it to remove dirt and buildup. I will keep it in this condition with the patina out of preference as it has a pretty dusty red patina to it. If I were to clean it though, it has all the gilt underneath as well as the German Silvered Wreath and U.S. letters. Definitely one of the best surprise signals in quite sometime and a plate every bit as rare to dig and even more so in many cases, as a Confederate Plate. We see Confederate plates dug quite frequently but you don't see these plates dug very often....definitely one of the finest ive dug and certainly so for a U.S. plate.

Model 1839 Mexican War Plate.jpg Model 1839 Mexican War Plate 2.jpg Mexican War Plate.jpg Mexican war soldier.jpg
9256946795_fdb408c795_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 47

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! That is Sweeeeeet! Wait a second... this buckle is fashioned to be worn straight up rather than sideways like a belt buckle. Is this some type of shoulder buckle? I can't see anyone wearing a belt buckle with his initials hardly readable because they were on the side. Sorry, I do not have much knowledge of Civil War uniform set-up so I do not know where this type of buckle would be on the body....
I like it and am voting Banner.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! That is Sweeeeeet! Wait a second... this buckle is fashioned to be worn straight up rather than sideways like a belt buckle. Is this some type of shoulder buckle? I can't see anyone wearing a belt buckle with his initials hardly readable because they were on the side. Sorry, I do not have much knowledge of Civil War uniform set-up so I do not know where this type of buckle would be on the body....
I like it and am voting Banner.

Thanks MichiganMan, and Indeed, it was for the shoulder belt, its an officers Shoulder Beltplate. I've included some information on it in the jpeg below the beltbuckle photos.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a surprise and in excellent condition. You preserved it well and once again you have proved you know how to save history. What a centerpiece. You sir my count my nomination. Congratulations.
HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great looking plate Sentinel, you're so right in leaving it just the it sits as it looks perfect. It definitely deserves the placement up on the Banner, so you have my vote.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Beautiful, great save.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow super rare plate. And the condition is awesome. Definitely a banner find. Congrats.

Zebco

Sep 11, 2012
Eastern,N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2-SE---Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice,now go find another! If you do go buy a lottery ticket. Banner for sure

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stunning belt plate there! Banner material for sure hope to see it up there soon =)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One beautiful relic and piece of history!

Don

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a surprise and in excellent condition. You preserved it well and once again you have proved you know how to save history. What a centerpiece. You sir my count my nomination. Congratulations.
HH

Tnmountains, I certainly appreciate the kind words.

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow incredible piece of history sure deserves a place up on banner. my vote is going in

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great looking plate Sentinel, you're so right in leaving it just the it sits as it looks perfect. It definitely deserves the placement up on the Banner, so you have my vote.
Thanks pepper, you know, when you clean something like this it sterilizes it and takes away all traces of its unique character turning it into something that looks just like any non-dug plate... which is unfortunate. Although most of us; you, me and many other relic and coin hunters recognize the historical significance of a dug artifact and see the merits, historical value and otherwise, of leaving a relic in dug condition.

Beautiful, great save.

Thanks Monte :thumbsup:

Wow super rare plate. And the condition is awesome. Definitely a banner find. Congrats.
Thanks my friend

Very nice,now go find another! If you do go buy a lottery ticket. Banner for sure
Lol, thanks Zebco, I'll give it a shot

Stunning belt plate there! Banner material for sure hope to see it up there soon =)
Thanks CoinandRelicMan

One beautiful relic and piece of history!Don

Thanks Don, it's nice to see you and other good folks still posting on TNet.

Last edited:

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An excellent find! What a beautiful plate and a nice surprise after thinking it was just going to be another pop can. I'll add my vote. Can't wait to see it on the banner!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, if your afraid, I will clean it for you.:thumbsup:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, that's a beauty, Congrats on a real nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions