Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Very Scarce MODEL 1839 MEXICAN WAR Officers Shoulder Belt Plate (Variant)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    271 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

Very Scarce MODEL 1839 MEXICAN WAR Officers Shoulder Belt Plate (Variant)

Hey Guys, this plate was quite a surprise!...I was recently digging an old Dragoons/Cavalry camp that served as an important post during the 1850's and the Civil War...I had a few Eagles in the pouch including some Eagle "D"s but hadn't dug anything a little while. I was going along and had just dug 3 crushed cans in the previous few minutes when I got another signal hitting exactly the same. I popped a plug out alittle quick and haphazardly expecting it to be another crushed flat can but when I popped the plug over something was thrown into the air and was flipping and then landed on the toe of my boot....when I looked down I had to take a double take as I saw 3 perfectly spaced hooks on the back of a rectangular plate....and when I turned it over I was quite surprised with an rare and beautiful plate....this plate is shown in photos as it was dug and is fully gilted though I have refrained from cleaning it other than dry brushing it to remove dirt and buildup. I will keep it in this condition with the patina out of preference as it has a pretty dusty red patina to it. If I were to clean it though, it has all the gilt underneath as well as the German Silvered Wreath and U.S. letters. Definitely one of the best surprise signals in quite sometime and a plate every bit as rare to dig and even more so in many cases, as a Confederate Plate. We see Confederate plates dug quite frequently but you don't see these plates dug very often....definitely one of the finest ive dug and certainly so for a U.S. plate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model 1839 Mexican War Plate.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	1066186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model 1839 Mexican War Plate 2.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	1066189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mexican War Plate.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1066190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mexican war soldier.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	1066194
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9256946795_fdb408c795_z.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1066191
    Last edited by {Sentinel}; Oct 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

us
    Jun 2008
    Kalamazoo County, Michigan
    A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
    203 times
    Whoa! That is Sweeeeeet! Wait a second... this buckle is fashioned to be worn straight up rather than sideways like a belt buckle. Is this some type of shoulder buckle? I can't see anyone wearing a belt buckle with his initials hardly readable because they were on the side. Sorry, I do not have much knowledge of Civil War uniform set-up so I do not know where this type of buckle would be on the body....
    I like it and am voting Banner.

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    271 times
    Banner Finds (12)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
    Whoa! That is Sweeeeeet! Wait a second... this buckle is fashioned to be worn straight up rather than sideways like a belt buckle. Is this some type of shoulder buckle? I can't see anyone wearing a belt buckle with his initials hardly readable because they were on the side. Sorry, I do not have much knowledge of Civil War uniform set-up so I do not know where this type of buckle would be on the body....
    I like it and am voting Banner.
    Thanks MichiganMan, and Indeed, it was for the shoulder belt, its an officers Shoulder Beltplate. I've included some information on it in the jpeg below the beltbuckle photos.
    Last edited by {Sentinel}; Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8286 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    What a surprise and in excellent condition. You preserved it well and once again you have proved you know how to save history. What a centerpiece. You sir my count my nomination. Congratulations.
    HH
    MichiganMan likes this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16312 times
    Relic Hunting
    Congrats on the great looking plate Sentinel, you're so right in leaving it just the it sits as it looks perfect. It definitely deserves the placement up on the Banner, so you have my vote.

us
    Aug 2010
    PA
    TEKNETICS T2 SE TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up) MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2 WHITES MX SPORT
    502 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Beautiful, great save.
    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Mar 2012
    940 times
    Nice digs.

us
    Feb 2012
    Tennessee
    145 times
    Wow super rare plate. And the condition is awesome. Definitely a banner find. Congrats.

us
    Sep 2012
    Eastern,N.C.
    Teknetics T2-SE---Garrett Pro Pointer
    31 times
    Very nice,now go find another! If you do go buy a lottery ticket. Banner for sure

us
    Its not what detector you own, its what you do with it!

Apr 2011
    E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
    2243 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Stunning belt plate there! Banner material for sure hope to see it up there soon =)

One beautiful relic and piece of history!

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    271 times
    Banner Finds (12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    What a surprise and in excellent condition. You preserved it well and once again you have proved you know how to save history. What a centerpiece. You sir my count my nomination. Congratulations.
    HH
    Tnmountains, I certainly appreciate the kind words.
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Bourbon IN.
    ace 350
    155 times
    wow incredible piece of history sure deserves a place up on banner. my vote is going in
    I DON'T HAVE TO BE FIRST OR BEST AT ANYTHING TO BE HAPPY

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    271 times
    Banner Finds (12)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Congrats on the great looking plate Sentinel, you're so right in leaving it just the it sits as it looks perfect. It definitely deserves the placement up on the Banner, so you have my vote.
    Thanks pepper, you know, when you clean something like this it sterilizes it and takes away all traces of its unique character turning it into something that looks just like any non-dug plate... which is unfortunate. Although most of us; you, me and many other relic and coin hunters recognize the historical significance of a dug artifact and see the merits, historical value and otherwise, of leaving a relic in dug condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 70monte68 View Post
    Beautiful, great save.
    Thanks Monte

Quote Originally Posted by danimal03 View Post
    Wow super rare plate. And the condition is awesome. Definitely a banner find. Congrats.
    Thanks my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Zebco View Post
    Very nice,now go find another! If you do go buy a lottery ticket. Banner for sure
    Lol, thanks Zebco, I'll give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by CoinandRelicMan View Post
    Stunning belt plate there! Banner material for sure hope to see it up there soon =)
    Thanks CoinandRelicMan

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ View Post
    One beautiful relic and piece of history!Don
    Thanks Don, it's nice to see you and other good folks still posting on TNet.
    Last edited by {Sentinel}; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Aug 2013
    42 times
    An excellent find! What a beautiful plate and a nice surprise after thinking it was just going to be another pop can. I'll add my vote. Can't wait to see it on the banner!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links