Civil War Relics and a "Bs" Nest

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I finally got out for some long overdue relic hunting off the beaten path. Digging opportunities have been extremely limited this summer due to a busy schedule, family, trips etc. Anyway after receiving the go ahead from the wives we ventured out to a new area in hopes of stumbling on some period glass, which is always on the top of my wish list. Despite hours of searching the glass was elusive and broken, however I lucked into a firepit, which was evidently popular in its day. Its always a sign of good things to come when an eagle button roles out of the sidewall with the first shovel full of dirt and this pit didnt dissapoint. A nice variety of uniform and camp brass surfaced as well as a couple of quality firsts. I love dated relics and to find 3 in one small area is exceptional. The 1851 Goodyear button, 1863 suspender buckle and 1856 Helvetia 1 Rappen were the highlights for me. How a coin from a small Swiss province ended up at a rural frontier fort will remain a mystery, however imagining its journey is a true privelege. Also recovered were the brass remains of a complete Union Kepi including the hunting horn, 2 kepi buttons, buckle, company letter and regimental number. Portions of other Kepis were uncovered in the pit as well as the remains of a burnt Knapsack. Also eyeballed were small bone buttons and an indian trade bead. Nothing compares to saving history! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Relics all med.JPG
    Relics all med.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Relics closeup med.JPG
    Relics closeup med.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 199
  • kepi parts med.JPG
    kepi parts med.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 176
  • dated closeup med.JPG
    dated closeup med.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 183
  • bullet on sift med.JPG
    bullet on sift med.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 19

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow forget the bottles when you are on insignia brass like that. Great digs and saves. I like sifting as well. Do you use a probe for any of the pits? You have a great spot and you guys nailed it. Thanks for sharing.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMN! Brings back memories! Awesome hunt and really enjoyed the pics. Congrats

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I use a probe to find privies, the fire pits are typically shallow and require mostly luck at this site. I like metal but there are so many interesting glass, bone and leather items in civil war camps. Thanks for the comments.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Evan! It's good to see some fine relics coming from the West Coast.  

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul man!

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for all the nice comments, nothing like digging relics.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man that is one sweet fire pit! Congrats on all those great company letters and other killer finds!

-Buck

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm gonna say it MTLV-That's the best assortment of CW brass relics that I've seen on Tnet in a long time. outstanding finds! WTG & HH, Q.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Really appreciate the comment Quindy. Always enjoy your posts, finds and articles.
-Ev

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you get out again Evan! You have a gift my friend!! Maybe we can finally hook up and dig some relics together this next spring!!!! Congrats on the insignia and other great finds!!!!!

IM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread