Fort Leavenworth finds

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
MIMID, ACE 350, Garret tactical pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I am on a TDY trip to Ft. leavenworth and I brought my detector. I have an ACE 350. Well after much research and map recons, I went out. I have had the best day of my detecting career. I found a silver spoon and antique light switch. Now, I was so focused on the detector that it took me a minute to realize I was standing in an untouched trash dump from the early 1900's. Laying on the surface, I found 5 bottles fully intact. As I brushed away the leaf cover I found a total of 17 bottles intact. There are tons more. I also found a porcelain coffee cup and broken tea cups and pottery. I stopped what I was doing and left the area. Reason is I am not an archeologist and I am sure I will mess it up. I am wondering if I should go to the post historian, because this Fort I has been open continuously since the 1800's. There was some 1800 stuff I found, like the .45-70 slug used by the trap door rifle during the Indian Wars. What I am getting at is deeper in the tip will be old stuff. Anyways, here are the pictures. One of the bottles is a whiskey jug. Check out the pics. I need to figure out what to do with the bottles cause they wound survive the flight home! Any advice would be great!

Attachments

• image-1719381274.jpg
    image-1719381274.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2545964223.jpg
    image-2545964223.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-723127372.jpg
    image-723127372.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1960088800.jpg
    image-1960088800.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 8

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leavenworth wouldn't have been my idea of a good TDY, but you've certainly made the best of it.

OP
OP
EODsmitty

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to come to the Pre Command Course. Funny how it works. We are supposed to have the class completed before we take over. I have been the BN CSM since may! Cart before the horse! LOL! Go Army!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the time, I would pack them in peanuts and bubble wrap and send them home, and I think I would insure them also. Good luck and nice finds. PS..from a retiree, thank you for your service.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do what whammy said but i would go to a ups pack store and let them package them up. They will also take pics of them too. Put in a 4187 and try and get stationed there. Awesome score

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the Army as well. I was thinking of trying to detect on base here, Fort Detrick, but am wondering if I would get bothered by PMO. Not to mention, the chance of digging up Bio-hazardous waste..lol I would think there are some good finds on the Parade field or near the recreation area. I have searched part of the football field because I swear I saw a ring in the grass during PT one day.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool stuff.

I would be careful letting anyone know about your finds on the post. I live just off a post and there is a tremendous fine for removing anything archaeological. It falls under the environmental regulations of the post (water quality, wildlife, etc.), but I think there are also some Federal laws against it. We have some historical building remains that have been around since WWI and I know 15-20 years ago they were considered archaeological areas. Really there wasn't anything left of them unless you dig.

When I was stationed in Ft. Hood, there was a spot on post where there was Indian artifacts sitting on the ground. We were told that we couldn't touch them.

OP
OP
EODsmitty

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I ask the PMO SGM if it's ok, and it have never been told no. Just don't dig in areas that are restricted. They tell me watch out for UXOs but since I am an EOD guy, they don't worry so much. I have detected on Yongsan, Hood, Schofield Barracks, and few others with no issue. I will certainly keep these points in. Mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions