Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Hit my Roman villa field today thinking the potatoes would have been harvested.....wrong, they were just on doing it, plan B. I knew another Roman field had been rough ploughed a fortnight ago, off to that...wrong, still rough ploughed a ankle breaker, so I went back to the Villa area were the field in front of the farm had been ploughed and rolled.

This field produces a few roman coins and artifacts, but not a lot, but I managed four roman coins all beat up. The first good find was a very nice Dandy button with some nice guilding a big one at that, next was a small bell like pendant in the shape of a small mace:icon_scratch: not quite sure about this one, if it's medieval or not :dontknow: Next I had one of my favourite finds, a nice medieval key complete at that, two Silver medieval Kings showed up, one a nice half groat a bit worn on the face, but all there, Edward111 I think. Shortly after that I had the second hammered of the day, but I'm stumped on this one I think it maybe a Richard11, but I'm not quite sure, but a great portrait. But you sure have to dig a lot of crud to get to the good stuff.:laughing7:

Update... UKFD Confirmation. The Coin is a Richard11 penny 1390-1399 and it's one of the Rarer type. :thumbsup:

Richard II 'second period' Type IV penny of London.

Quote from UKFD.... London pennies of Richard II are of considerable rarity.

The Spink Catalogue lists this coin as 'Type III', which refers to North's numbering of lettering styles rather than his numbering of coin types. Under North the coin is Type IV, but the lettering style is Type III. This leads to confusion, and it is better to designate the lettering styles with the letters A, B and C, as proposed by Lord Stewartby (English Coins - 1180-1551).

SS

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    765.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    707.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news on the Ricky, what is nice is the portrait.
Yes they are normally very poor, but this one beat the odds, apart from some light clipping and some wear at the bottom, I don't think you could ask for better.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SS, here the pics of the mace thingy made of bronze with some gilt left i found some time ago.

19875577oh.jpg

19875578od.jpg
Yes very similar, mine was in the shape of a bell, yours is Solid Bronze cast which makes it older, perhaps Viking/Saxon era....nice find.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are normally very poor, but this one beat the odds, apart from some light clipping and some wear at the bottom, I don't think you could ask for better.

SS
Back home now, about to post soon, but thought I would check my collection for Ricard II's
I have 3 'poor' Pennies but all York mint
2 Halfpennies of London - only one is good (similar to yours)
So its a hole in my collection.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back home now, about to post soon, but thought I would check my collection for Ricard II's
I have 3 'poor' Pennies but all York mint
2 Halfpennies of London - only one is good (similar to yours)
So its a hole in my collection.
What's good about this one is, it's classed as type 1V, but has the fish tail letters of the rarer type 111...confusing.

SS

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds.
You guys over there have some great OLD stuff to find. It's amazing.
We're lucky to find pre 1965 silver coins.

Congrats.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Congrats!

Those look really super for being in the ground that long!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds.
You guys over there have some great OLD stuff to find. It's amazing.
We're lucky to find pre 1965 silver coins.

Congrats.
Yes we have some great history here, we are very lucky.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Congrats!

Those look really super for being in the ground that long!
I was very lucky with condition on the Richard11 coin, looked on-line last night and all the ones I seen were very poor, compared to this one. Just a not on valuation... F (fine) £200, VF which mine would be classed, £800.:pot-of-gold:

SS

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might these be some sort of projectile tip affixed to an arrow?I have seen something similar in an old archery book I believe what I had seen was a signaling arrow tip a whistler.This is about the Mace looking bronze thingy.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might these be some sort of projectile tip affixed to an arrow?I have seen something similar in an old archery book I believe what I had seen was a signaling arrow tip a whistler.This is about the Mace looking bronze thingy.
It's actually hollow, or was before I lost it, and had a rivet for attachment. Definitely a bell.:thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions