May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD & me on the relic trail yesterday.

To the point on the second stop of the day I found this tombac button (17mm). I found a couple nipple buttons before, but not of tombac. It's also different from any other tombac I found in that the back side is not lathe turned, it is rough cast still.

My research indicates these are called pimple buttons, and date to mid 17th C. Arguements, welcome.
So it's a first for me, and quite happy with that, as Dave did find of the day a quite decent copper coin.

The copper I got which is totally roached, is also a little different, what's left is 30mm, which is bigger than most half pennies, (head scratch) but we'll never know on that one.

Search results from the database - Page: 1 - Database

Attachments

• find14-20-1.JPG
    find14-20-1.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 205
  • find14-20-2.JPG
    find14-20-2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 502
  • find14-20-3.JPG
    find14-20-3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 9

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,no question those are very early. A fairly common find in the UK but I have never seen one dug here.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Rick. Here are two tombac nipple i found. One is 27mm and the other is 26mm. Give or take.

image-1037283683.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Rick. Here are two tombac nipple i found. One is 27mm and the other is 26mm. Give or take.

View attachment 1068886

Those are old, but quite a bit different, and may date later. They are more similar to the typical late 18th century tombacs, where as Rick's button is a little different mix of metal, cast different, and quite dense and heavy for the size. Your type I would expect to dig here, but not his.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are old, but quite a bit different, and may date later. They are more similar to the late 18th century tombacs, where is Rick's button is a little different mix of metal, cast different, and quite dense and heavy for the size. Your type I would expect to dig here, but not his.

Ya I just noticed his was also sort of domed and much thicker.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I just noticed his was also sort of domed and much thicker.

yeah they are dense in the same way as picking up a small weight. The boys in VA find them, as well as anyone else who has access to good real early Colonial sites.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are old, but quite a bit different, and may date later. They are more similar to the typical late 18th century tombacs, where as Rick's button is a little different mix of metal, cast different, and quite dense and heavy for the size. Your type I would expect to dig here, but not his.

quite dense and heavy for the size.

Yes to that, and it was very shinny fresh out of the dirt, plus the weight, made me think for a second it might be silver.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few have turned up in the older States, but thats a first from Canada, that I've seen. Yes they are mid-17th C. They are associated with our Civil War as many of these civvy types were used as the armies had no formal military buttons. They are however, civvy.

PS. I prefer to call them nipple buttons.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the buckle and nipple button.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a few nipple buttons,this type reminds me of yours some what.Got a couple like this so not a common find here.Only mine has a little more pewter in it.Not like my early pewter buttons I normally find so I know the metal content is different in these types.

Attachments

• DSCN1968.JPG
    DSCN1968.JPG
    789.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1969.JPG
    DSCN1969.JPG
    648.6 KB · Views: 151

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice early site you're on there buddy. Hope you find a few more items that date to the same period as your button

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's getting back there in age!

Hope there's another sign or find that will confirm the age of your site yet to be found

Can't tell you haw bad I'd like a silver from that era.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice early site you're on there buddy. Hope you find a few more items that date to the same period as your button

Me too, and It wouldn't take many a silver coin or two would be fantastic.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you haw bad I'd like a silver from that era.

Very good chance if one was there it would be older because it's much more likely a coin would hang around much longer than a button. Only a very small % of people on here from North America get to hunt 17th century sites, or ever have hunted one.... and I am not one of those people. I'd say 1720-30 is likely the oldest.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are quite a few of these types of buttons recorded on the UKFD, they are not classed as Tombac buttons, but rather a white metal, possibly lead/tin alloy. Tombac is a different mix of alloy's, but the 17th C date is correct.:thumbsup:

SS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good chance if one was there it would be older because it's much more likely a coin would hang around much longer than a button. Only a very small % of people on here get to hunt 17th century sites, or ever have hunted one.... and I am not one of those people. I'd say 1720-30 is likely the oldest.
Don't want to divert this thread but what age would you think the button I just found is from? I've never found one with such a crude shank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread