Need advice on wether i should clean this "Kantslip" belt buckle or not....

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, found this "Kantslip" belt buckle while on break at work last friday. It has the markings "Gold Front" and "Nickel Silver - Patented May 26 1925". As you can see in the pictures there is some tarnish and dirt and what not all over the buckle and im wondering how i can safely clean this relic to make it pop. Obviously i dont want to ruin it but i do want to shine it up if possible. What is the best way to do so? Also, how can i tell if the front which says "Gold Front" is solid gold or gold plated? I was under the impression that gold does not tarnish but obviously on this artifact there is some tarnishing on the front. Thanks, Gavin. IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG

Upvote 3

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cleaning needed, unless you want a shiney new looking buckle, a light coat of OO, or wax.:thumbsup:

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You clean it, you ruin it.

There is nothing on the front to polish or shine, the gold plating is gone, so if you have at it you will be down to the base metal having just wiped the face clean off. It's very nice as is.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. The only thing left to clean is the patina. Unless you want it shiny I would leave it. Looks great the way it is

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everybody else said..especially IP.."U clean it-u ruin it"...It is a beautiful piece in excellent shape for the age. When you said "shine" and "pop"...I just have visions of those dudes on Rick's Restorations leaning into the grinders and polishers with the brass and copper relics...just ERASING centuries of beautiful patina...sure they shine and are pretty...but not very valuable anymore...That's a great find, looks just fine the way it is!! Thanks for sharing, cool stuff..ddf

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For once i agree, don't clean it. Oil it, wipe it off.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would lightly toothbrush the dirt off, wipe it off with a damp cloth and put a coat of Renaissance wax on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions