Powder Horn Top and a Stiver

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Rick and I were turning up new turf yesterday in search for the elusive 17th century cellar hole, and I think we are on the right track. On our first stop I picked up an 1838 One Stiver copper from British Guiana. This is the second one of these I have found.
20141020_065401.jpg 20141020_070753.jpg

Token - 1 Stiver, Guyana, 1838 - Museum Victoria

Next, we tried to get permission for a large area we noticed during an earlier scouting mission, but the farmer wasn't home and his wife didn't want to give us the go-ahead. So it was off to the next site. Got permission right away and started weed wacking through the tall grass. I found some cool items there including what I believe is a top to a powder horn. It's made of pewter and has a high lead content which gives it a white patina.

20141020_065834.jpg 20141020_065758.jpg

Near the end of our hunt the farmer that we had tried to contact earlier drove up to us in the field and said he had just disc harrowed a couple of fields and lost one of the discs and wanted to know if we could detect them for him and hopefully find his disc. These are the fields we wanted to hunt in the first place.....Yee haw:headbang:
so rick and I have our work cut out for us.

Some of the other finds were a crotal bell, broken in the back :sadsmiley:, two pieces of a shoe buckle some musked balls, one was flattened out like a coin, I presume it was used as a caming piece. I also found an aluminum ferry token that was a real heart stopper when I flipped the plug, and some other do-dads.

20141020_065102.jpg

Thanks for tuning in, HH everyone.
ZDD

Upvote 10

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff ZDD! I will be watching for you boys posts. Hope you hit the early stuff buddy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds for sure, the one Stiver is very nice. Did you find the disc?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find, and pretty cool how that worked out.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt Dave, and now you have a new site waiting for you next time. Love that stiver - never found (or even heard of) one of those.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dave ! I have managed one of those Stivers here in Portland ! ! There was another one posted on here late summer ! I don;t renember by whom ? Those Stivers did circulate here on the Eastern seaboard of North America ! Rarely found very far Inland from the Atlantic Maritime Pronince"s .of Canada and the far Northeast coast of the U.S. Sailors coppers I like the powderhorn cap as well ! ? Alaways age to your sites ! Keep at the good finds and a great one is right around the next signal ! MaineRelic

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great how that permission worked out for you. Hopefully the area to search for the disc isn't so big you don't find it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dave ! I have managed one of those Stivers here in Portland ! ! There was another one posted on here late summer ! I don;t renember by whom ? Those Stivers did circulate here on the Eastern seaboard of North America ! Rarely found very far Inland from the Atlantic Maritime Pronince"s .of Canada and the far Northeast coast of the U.S. Sailors coppers I like the powderhorn cap as well ! ? Alaways age to your sites ! Keep at the good finds and a great one is right around the next signal ! MaineRelic

I dug one a couple weeks back. They are around for sure.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds for sure, the one Stiver is very nice. Did you find the disc?
Thanks PJ. No we didn't find the disc yet, it was at the end of the day so we only could put 15 min. into looking for it. As soon as we start getting good weather again we will begin to grid off the 2 fields. Each field is at least 20 acres so it's going to take a little while.
ZDD

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one a couple weeks back. They are around for sure.
You guys dig more of these than we do further down the coast ! The research on the early 19th C. foundation site where I found the Stiver showed that the site founder had shipping ties in Nova Scotia . You guys dig more of these than we do so I always figured mine was brought to Maine from Nova Scotia !

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. That's a nice old coin.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool and you didn't even have to squeeze into your wet suit! I can't wait until you get to return a disc!

Great finds!

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool and you didn't even have to squeeze into your wet suit! I can't wait until you get to return a disc!

Great finds!
Thanks Treblehunter, I think that disc is going to get us onto some really nice turf but now I have to wait out the 3 days of rain that's forecast to hit us. Oh well maybe I will be able to get out diving instead.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread