*VIDEO* - LIVE HOTCHKISS SHELL RECOVERY FROM RIVER

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 13

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing place to get out and dig. Just beautiful. Made me kind'a nervous for you when you dug up the shell tho. lol
Loved the video...great finds! :)
Nana

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An amazing place to get out and dig. Just beautiful. Made me kind'a nervous for you when you dug up the shell tho. lol
Loved the video...great finds! :)
Nana

Thanks. 2nd one my partner found this year. He also dug part of a Confederate cannonball.

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
Who says that big iron in creeks is not worth digging! Nice shell it will clean up nice.Did your buddy say how dry the powder was? Nice video.

I didn't want to discover its contents in any other form than saturated so the entire process involved a lot of water and soaking. There was hard encrustation in the fuze hole protecting the bursting powder cavity so I don't know the viability of what was removed; likely none, but all the same I didn't want to become the latest casualty of Yankee ordnance. It did have the physical and odiferous properties of black powder. Its previously sealed-off contents drying in the pan:

IMG_2761_zps86f1e5c5.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread