Help with a recent find - new member Thank you!

Cmjordan77

Oct 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
First off, I am a new member, thanks for having me.
I am from South Carolina.
I have a Tesoro Cibola,I havent used much, but I am starting to.
Also, I am wanting to give a start to panning here in SC. I Know there are some good spots.
But the reason I am posting here today is help identifying if I found some gold.
I found this rock above ground near my home. My home is built around Alot of Quartz on the told of a hill, Rusty looking quartz. I know very LITTLE about gold, I am trying to learn more. This rock has alot of Fools gold but there is another Gold looking part, its definately 2 toned, and the more gold color has what looks like Rust or something on it. I tried to wash it off last night and its not coming off, I thought it might be dirt.
can you all tell from the photos if I found real gold? I think it might be but I am not certain.
If you see in the photos, you can see the Pyrite, and then you can see the more yellow Gold color.

I tried to get some good photos, but these were the best my phone could take. I read about trying to get some off and see if it flaked and I tried to scratch some of it off but I couldnt get any off the rock.
Like I mentioned this definately has Fools gold in the rock, but it looks like Yellow gold in 2 areas.
Any help is MUCH, MUCH Appreciated!!!
Any good panning spots in the Upper Greenville/Spartanburg area is also appreciated :-)

I look forward to being on here much more

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Gold1.jpg
    Gold1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Gold2.jpg
    Gold2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Gold3.jpg
    Gold3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 3
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to be pyrite.But the yellow could be gold,scrape some off if possible and press down on what you scraped off with a pointed object.If it crumbles or shatters its pyrite.Or hit the pieces with a hammer,if its gold it will just flatten out if its pyrite it will shatter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cmjordan77

Oct 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The 1 section is definately pyrite.
But the 2nd Golden section in the 2 areas, I was thinking might be gold.
I tried to scrape pieces off and I couldnt get any pieces off of the Golden Pieces.
The Pyrite I was able to scrape off and it cumbled, but I couldnt get any of the golden piece to scrape off.
I added an additional photos. I color coded it. The BLUE Area I circled is what I found to be pyrite, and the RED areas is what I think could possibly be gold.

thanks

Attachments

• GOLD5.PNG
    GOLD5.PNG
    145.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off it is a nice mineral specimen regardless.
Gold is often associated with the different pyrites, Iron pyrite, chalcopyrite (sp) arsenopyrite etc, so there "could" be some gold in that sample. If gold is known in your area, chances even better.

If your interested in gold, and intent to persue it, then you are going to have to get some kind of testing equipment. Although the already mentioned test is simple and effective. Go ahead and crush some up , and pan it. Nitric acid (if you can get your hands on some...since 9-11...not so easy) will disolve most everything. A gold pan, and a hammer are must haves, and easy / cheap to get. Get one.

Usually what I tell people "if you have to ask, it's probably not gold" because once you see the real stuff, you will know it.

One question I guess, does the spots you think are gold look gold from all angles, or just certain angles ? Do the gold areas look like a nugget would look...IE rough, and irregular ? With a loupe, if you see flat surfaces, and nice angles, bad sign.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Cmjordan77

Oct 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi thanks for the info. I don't see any angles in the gold area at all. Honestly to me it looks like gold. I have never held a nugget, that's why I'm not too sure.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece. Try poking it with a pin or something sharp and pointed see if it make a dent. Looks good, hope it's the real deal and you find a lot more!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the board. These guys are all very knowledgeable, take there advice, they won't steer you wrong. Good luck!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! :icon_thumright: Hope it's gold. Maybe one experienced guy in your area could help you with testing that beautiful rock & also give you a lot of tips. Have Fun! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread