a trip back in time

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Just like the good old days! Today me and Iron Patch hit the trail and headed to an area we used to frequent from time to time and come back with some pretty good finds; with IP doing some research, he put us on a field that we've never tried before and the results were good since we found a new site to dig on with some pretty good age to it. Really it was a couple of sites in the same field really close to one another. It was reminiscent of our hunting days of the early 2000s when we were hitting new sites of this age on a fairly regular basis; finding this one today brought us back to those times and the finds were quite similar to what we were getting then. Our site today was active from the late 1700s or early 1800s to about 1830 or so, but there were a few finds from later times that showed up there that weren't from the site when it was active.
Lots of nice early flat buttons, plenty of tokens from the era (1812- 1820) although I did find a worn out George lll half penny, and some bits a pieces of some cool old relics; I'm sure we will get another crack at it again and probably find more of the same. Conditions were fair at best since the field was recently turned by the plough, but next summer it will be flat and better conditions for detecting.
Got a small handful of buttons and a decent thimble. One neat button was one that reminded me of a steering wheel from a car that was once silvered and come out intact! The relics were ok; a cool square buckle, a few musket balls and enfield bullets ( a three ringer and an iron core, which we don't see too often), a brass chain link or fastener, which I intially thought was from a snake buckle, but wasn't:-\, and what I figure are some old pistol pieces! the lock plate is made of brass and is smallish and the ramrod thimble is also small and would have held a small diameter ramrod. Lots of coins; many of which were Maritime Canada tokens, Tiffins, Halifax, and Wellingtons, and of course, some which were just east coast toast! Oh, the silver 25 cents was one of my first targets which I found near where I parked my car a couple fields over and not part of the site finds.
All in all it was a great day for detecting and it was great to get back on a old virgin site with lots of targets to dig. Great to see the old stuff is still out there waiting for us!

Attachments

• bt1.JPG
    bt1.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 134
  • bt3.JPG
    bt3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 121
  • bt2.JPG
    bt2.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 8

Top Member Reactions