a trip back in time

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Just like the good old days! Today me and Iron Patch hit the trail and headed to an area we used to frequent from time to time and come back with some pretty good finds; with IP doing some research, he put us on a field that we've never tried before and the results were good since we found a new site to dig on with some pretty good age to it. Really it was a couple of sites in the same field really close to one another. It was reminiscent of our hunting days of the early 2000s when we were hitting new sites of this age on a fairly regular basis; finding this one today brought us back to those times and the finds were quite similar to what we were getting then. Our site today was active from the late 1700s or early 1800s to about 1830 or so, but there were a few finds from later times that showed up there that weren't from the site when it was active.
Lots of nice early flat buttons, plenty of tokens from the era (1812- 1820) although I did find a worn out George lll half penny, and some bits a pieces of some cool old relics; I'm sure we will get another crack at it again and probably find more of the same. Conditions were fair at best since the field was recently turned by the plough, but next summer it will be flat and better conditions for detecting.
Got a small handful of buttons and a decent thimble. One neat button was one that reminded me of a steering wheel from a car that was once silvered and come out intact! The relics were ok; a cool square buckle, a few musket balls and enfield bullets ( a three ringer and an iron core, which we don't see too often), a brass chain link or fastener, which I intially thought was from a snake buckle, but wasn't:-\, and what I figure are some old pistol pieces! the lock plate is made of brass and is smallish and the ramrod thimble is also small and would have held a small diameter ramrod. Lots of coins; many of which were Maritime Canada tokens, Tiffins, Halifax, and Wellingtons, and of course, some which were just east coast toast! Oh, the silver 25 cents was one of my first targets which I found near where I parked my car a couple fields over and not part of the site finds.
All in all it was a great day for detecting and it was great to get back on a old virgin site with lots of targets to dig. Great to see the old stuff is still out there waiting for us!

Attachments

• bt1.JPG
    bt1.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 134
  • bt3.JPG
    bt3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 121
  • bt2.JPG
    bt2.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 8

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic finds there....nice to get on a great site again where the finds are plentiful...research pays off again!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that was a great day of relic finds my friend! :occasion14:
You don't often see finds in that quantity and quality very often in Canada anymore!

Congrats,
Dave

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG ! a dozen or so coppers i one hunt is crazy. Yeah I did it a couple of times last year, but that was a lifetime away, and this year...my total is not much more than that.

Just seeing that makes me excited.

I'll start peddaling tomorrow...see if anyone gets that. (smiley face)

Good hunt looks like great fun. As every copper in the hole has potential.

Wow again, that's a lot of targets, and a silver on top. Fantastic.

Now we wait for the rain to end...or do we ?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
fantastic finds there....nice to get on a great site again where the finds are plentiful...research pays off again!

Yep, of it wasn't for IP rocking the quality research, that site would still be left untouched, he's got it down with the finding fields we've not tried

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now that was a great day of relic finds my friend! :occasion14:
You don't often see finds in that quantity and quality very often in Canada anymore!

Congrats,
Dave

nailing the old sites with that much to find doesn't happen that much anymore, but it does happen on occasion
I've been lucky enough to catch a few from time to time and today was one of those times

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP just PM me and I thought of it too, but reminds me of the Shipyard sight we hit when I was there but that was a few years ago...

Yep, of it wasn't for IP rocking the quality research, that site would still be left untouched, he's got it down with the finding fields we've not tried

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
OMG ! a dozen or so coppers i one hunt is crazy. Yeah I did it a couple of times last year, but that was a lifetime away, and this year...my total is not much more than that.

It always fun to hit a new spot and the adrenaline flows pretty good when the old finds are being made
the rain is going to slow things down a bit but that's the fall weather we must endure
yeah, lol, start pedalling , there might be a chance for you to get your coil over a signal or two, if I don't get to them first ha!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
IP just PM me and I thought of it too, but reminds me of the Shipyard sight we hit when I was there but that was a few years ago...

That's right! I remember us doing alright that day on the coppers

we missed seeing some old silver, but we feel it could still happen if we look more!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably don't have to post, because what you got, I got... and that's the truth because I can not find what I was pretty sure was a Marines button, or that nice silvered one I dig. I've never lost stuff while hunting, so the only thing i can think of is when I put some finds into the plastic bag they fell out on the seat, or somewhere in your car! I guess from now on even the so so keepers I will protect the same way as the good stuff. That said, discovering the missing buttons was not a big deal as a short time later I heard an old high school friend killed himself. I have not seen him in many many years, but it was quite a surprise as I did not think he was that type of person, or anywhere close... but I guess 23 years in the military can change ya.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We're really due for early silver so it's going to happen soon! :headbang:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I probably don't have to post, because what you got, I got... and that's the truth because I can not find what I was pretty sure was a Marines button, or that nice silvered one I dig. I've never lost stuff while hunting, so the only thing i can think of is when I put some finds into the plastic bag they fell out on the seat, or somewhere in your car! I guess from now on even the so so keepers I will protect the same way as the good stuff. That said, discovering the missing buttons was not a big deal as a short time later I heard an old high school friend killed himself. I have not seen him in many many years, but it was quite a surprise as I did not think he was that type of person, or anywhere close... but I guess 23 years in the military can change ya.

I'll take a look in the car for some stray finds that I didn't make

sorry to hear about your friend
it's hard to imagine what his life's problems were

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a look in the car for some stray finds that I didn't make

sorry to hear about your friend
it's hard to imagine what his life's problems were

If you find them, you can keep the silver button for your effort. :laughing7: In my mind they are either there. or back in the field, just weird they are gone.

I don't understand how someone can't just reach deep down and find a way to save their self, but you can't judge someone without walking in their shoes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention... I also got a piece of the puzzle!

Attachments

• pu1.jpg
    pu1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 74

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow when you guys do it you do it big! Great hunt bud! Great assortment and a ton of targets. Nice post as well

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Been thru that and it's very hard to understand. But like you said, we have no idea what circumstances lead to theses awful decisions. All we can do is be thankful that our lives are good and try to help touch others lives in a positive way. All the best bud, Abe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread