Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first man's ring

I probably swung my coil over this spot in Caraway Park a dozen times over the last four years. But this morning I took a chance and dug this low tone signal (which are usually pull tabs because of the way I normally keep my settings). When I turned the plug of sod over on the ground this pretty shiny ring was staring at me. This was about 4 inches down and the first man's ring I've found. It fits me too on my little pinky. It's strange though that there are no hallmark, maker mark or any indication of the metal content. Can anyone explain this? Would appreciate any ideas. It's silver in color, could it be white gold? As I said above, it gave off a low tone.
100_7370.JPG 141021_0000 Ring.jpg

Here's one more pic and the first selfie I've posted on treasurenet. I hope it doesn't scare anyone; being so close to Halloween and all. :tongue3: I'm wearing the ring on my right pinky. HH!
100_7378.JPG

Upvote 8

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my best rings has no hallmarks. I often find that rings that have been repaired or re-sized lose their hallmarks in the process. You just gotta get em tested sometimes. nice ring!

OP
OP
Yard Digger

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best rings has no hallmarks. I often find that rings that have been repaired or re-sized lose their hallmarks in the process. You just gotta get em tested sometimes. nice ring!
Thanks swolfe. I thought that could be the case. I need to get me a test kit I reckon.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a stainless steel ring that looks like it's twin, my future son -in -law now wears it. A little side note when I tested that ring it came up as 18k + but it turns out stainless gives a + reading for gold had me going until I had it checked by a jeweler.It looks good where it is now on your pinkie.

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Congrats on the ring! I hope it turns out to be gold!

OP
OP
Yard Digger

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve and jcobb.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of reasons a ring won't be marked... :icon_scratch: One its rubbed off, two its custom made, three its from another country, four its not made of any precious metals, five its from before 1906 and then some. I'm guessing yours is SS (Stainless Steal) but won't know until you have it tested or get a kit yourself. Congratulations on the ring, a ring is a ring it still counts !! All the best !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on neat ring! :icon_thumright: Could be stainless steel or silver, or if it shows no scratches it could be tungsten carbide. Tungsten carbide can shatter when dropped but doesn't get scratched like silver does. Also looks like maybe it's a spinner ring? I can't tell from the pics. Let us know what you find out -- and enjoy your new ring! Andi

OP
OP
Yard Digger

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MUD(S.W.A.T)

OP
OP
Yard Digger

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on neat ring! :icon_thumright: Could be stainless steel or silver, or if it shows no scratches it could be tungsten carbide. Tungsten carbide can shatter when dropped but doesn't get scratched like silver does. Also looks like maybe it's a spinner ring? I can't tell from the pics. Let us know what you find out -- and enjoy your new ring! Andi

Use a magnet and see if it sticks. I think i see a scratch on it though. Finally take it to a jeweler or scrap place and have them test it with UV spectrometer.
Thanks Andi and Perses. It does haves scratches on the outside of the band but not deep and no discoloration. The inside is very smooth with a brilliant shine. A magnet doesn't stick to it either. What is a spinner ring? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing stainless or titanium. This is where knowledge in testing with an acid kit comes in useful. Most precious metals are very soft compared to stainless or titanium. Having a feel for what your rubbing on the stone when testing often times tells me whether it's good or bad just by the feeling of the rub. It's an acquired feeling that comes with time. Not something your going to pick up the 1st 100 or even 300 times you test a piece.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing tungsten carbide as I found 3 this summer that look almost identical to yours. TC seems to be the current metal of choice for rings due to its inexpensive price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread