Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw two high capacity machine gun magazines washed up near the bridge yesterday. Didn't take them home becasue last year they were made illegal - probably why someone tossed them into the ocean. If I had to guess I'd say they're for an AR-15 or M-16 but who knows? I didn't touch them becasue who wants their finger prints on illegal gun parts? Told the park patrol guy about them, he said he'd dispose of them.

At low tide I saw one dried out on the sand and another was still under about 6 inches of water.
DSC00494 2.jpg
DSC00491 2.jpg

Upvote 4

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the Mkb 42 (machine carbine) that was introduced in '42, the MP-43 and STG 44 are both later modified versions of that particular gun. As I remember it was originally called the MP-44 and the term Maschinengewehr was made up because Hitler didn't want to have another Maschinenpistole because he thought they were a waste of ammunition or some such.... They all look very similar on the outside and I doubt I could tell one from the other with out looking closely, and as I remember the only significant differences are all internal.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
MP 36, MP 38, MP 40, MP 40/1, MP 41 were all 9mm parabellum in caliber.Heres where the STG came into its own.It used a brand new cartridge developed specifically for it,the 7.92×33mm Kurz,a shortened version of the 7.92x57mm standard German rifle round.Yup they did hide the true facts from hitler regarding this weapon.It was ahead of its time.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mkb 42 and the MP 43 also were designed around the 7.92x33 Kurz round also. They were just earlier variants of the STG. I got to shoot one at Knob Creek one year, it is a really nice feeling gun. There's a new manufacture semi auto version out that I'd love to have, but they are PRICEY....

Last edited:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even get me started. Below I have included a prime example of how effective gun laws really are. It is a shame you can't keep a rifle magazine where you live.
chicago.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember to keep politics out so thread isn't closed.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent kept on the laws. But depending on which rifle you used those with and what type of bullet. You could have a automatic weapon mag. The point is they fire single fire also. I would have been looking for what they came out of, and checking to see if they had rounds in the clips and what type. I also would not have left them for a child to find.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it should be stated here that most "military grade AR 15 rifles" have a selector switch that allow full fire to empty the magazine with one pull of the trigger. It takes a special fire arms licence for a regular citizen to possess that auto fire weapon. Big money and tough FBI scrutiny. You won't see these types of guns at your average gun shop. So in a way the public is being miss informed on what they are trying to ban.
The weapons sold to the common public have the auto fire feature removed so you get one bullet to fire for each press of the trigger.
Full fire feature is somewhat inaccurate for the purpose of aiming a weapon because the recoil will pull the sights off target.
When the press calls a gun an "automatic weapon" some people think it is a "machine gun". That is not true.
The automatic refers to the action of the gun ejecting a spent casing and loading a fresh bullet after each shot. A bolt action rifle is not an automatic weapon because you have to manually cycle the action to fire the next round.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They passed an idiotic magazine limit law here in MD too. The criminals are still killing each other daily, especially in Baltimore.
Every night on the news there's another story. It never ends. They even had a little celebration a few years back because there were just under 300 murders for the year, a new record at the time. Idiots.

I have a friend who had to shoot a thug in the gut not long ago. The punk snuck up from behind and put a knife to his throat. He warned the punk but he didn't listen cause hey, he's a really cool bad ass.

Got him right in the gut with a hip pocket sized over and under 2 shot .45; point blank. The criminal thug lived but he suffered for a while, as he deserved to. My friend's had a concealed carry permit for decades. He probably couldn't get one now. It's almost impossible here.

That's what happens when people elect idiots who now nothing about firearms and what purpose they are designed to serve.

But, I probably would have left those lie there myself. Gun violations carry extremely stiff penalties. It's just not worth it.
After all, if you possess them you're a threat to society right??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as citizens are willing to tolerate their rights being trampled they will continue to do so...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just a little.. L-R AK47, H&K G3, Colt AR15, FN-FAL :thumbsup:

Nice Guns.
Esp, without all the "Flashy" Accessories ..

Like them all but the FAL Really Floats My boat..

'So many Hobbies/Likes ,So little Money..

Davers

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
TNGUNS makes cents maybe we should ban cold weather. even if it only saved one life. However I like cold weather, gives me a bigger verity of cover up's to where. Easier to carry bigger tools.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNGUNS makes cents maybe we should ban cold weather. even if it only saved one life. However I like cold weather, gives me a bigger verity of cover up's to where. Easier to carry bigger tools.

I'm up for the Ban :thumbsup:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the Mkb 42 (machine carbine) that was introduced in '42, the MP-43 and STG 44 are both later modified versions of that particular gun. As I remember it was originally called the MP-44 and the term Maschinengewehr was made up because Hitler didn't want to have another Maschinenpistole because he thought they were a waste of ammunition or some such.... They all look very similar on the outside and I doubt I could tell one from the other with out looking closely, and as I remember the only significant differences are all internal.

Nearly right. The project was called Machine gun because Hitler didn't wanted a new weapon. He feared more confusion with the different ammo delivered to the front. There was a lot of different ammo needed starting with the small caliber 7.65 for officers Walther PP and PPK, 9mm for the 08 and MP 38/40, 8x57 for the K98 with steel casing, 8x57 for MG34 and 42 with brass casing. Machine guns worked with the steel casing 8x57 too, but had a lot of failure mostly because of sticked casings.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just a little.. L-R AK47, H&K G3, Colt AR15, FN-FAL :thumbsup:

Cool collection!
I personally hated the G3. Way too heavy and difficult to clean, we got lots of pack drill because there was smoke residue left in the gooves of the chamber... We were jealous when we're out with the GIs from AWACS carrying their AR15. We swapped the guns often when we were on the shooting range. They were hot on our MG3. :laughing7:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Cool collection!
I personally hated the G3. Way too heavy and difficult to clean, we got lots of pack drill because there was smoke residue left in the gooves of the chamber... We were jealous when we're out with the GIs from AWACS carrying their AR15. We swapped the guns often when we were on the shooting range. They were hot on our MG3. :laughing7:
Should have stuck with the G1 which was a variant of the FAL. Adjustable gas system makes them a joy to shoot and cleaning isn't as critical. However there was that pesky fact that The Belgians wouldn't license Germany to produce them, only would allow them to buy them complete. Politics over common sense once again. The FAL was also tested against the M14 in the 50s and won in all tests. But the Generals chose a US produced weapon over the FAL. T-48.. The US version of the FAL produced by FN, High Standard & Harrington & Richardson. No it's not for sale..

Attachments

• lt side.jpg
    lt side.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, they were empty so they were no longer any good. :laughing7:

Rep. Diana Degette (D-CO) thinks that once a once a high capacity magazine is used up, it will go away and not be shot again because magazines are ammunition. She thinks a ban will result in attrition because they are not reusable.

CO Democrat Doesn't Understand High-Capacity Magazines Can Be Reloaded | RealClearPolitics

Sorry, not meaning to get political, but this is just too funny. Or maybe it's sad that a person like that is making laws about things in which they have no idea about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread