Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw two high capacity machine gun magazines washed up near the bridge yesterday. Didn't take them home becasue last year they were made illegal - probably why someone tossed them into the ocean. If I had to guess I'd say they're for an AR-15 or M-16 but who knows? I didn't touch them becasue who wants their finger prints on illegal gun parts? Told the park patrol guy about them, he said he'd dispose of them.

At low tide I saw one dried out on the sand and another was still under about 6 inches of water.
DSC00494 2.jpg
DSC00491 2.jpg

Upvote 4

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
They can be rebuilt and blocked to accommodate the round limit. I have 30 round magazines (thank you for calling them magazines and not "clips" by the way) blocked to 15 down here in Jersey.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's about $40 worth of gear. I'd be pretty happy to find those. You are correct, they look to be STANMAGs, or standard capacity magazines for AR15 type rifles.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
They're not "machine gun" magazines. Calling them such just reinforces the hysteria. They are extremely common magazines for the AR15/M16 type rifles and are perfectly legal to own in any of the free states. Worth about 5 bucks each at current prices. I do accept the fact that in NY you can probably be sent to prison just for possession of a picture of them.. lol Not my problem. Move. Here are the same mags for less than 8 bucks brand new. Mag AR-15 5.56 NATO 30 Round ASC Magazine Aluminum Anti-Tilt Follower Gray Finish

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH Bandit is correct, they are same magazines used on ARs, AK47, SKS and other rifles all use same magazine. I have AK47 and SKS and they are not machine guns. .. You have to pull trigger for each bullet..

As far as fingerprints mine would have been all over them as I picked them up and took them home....

Who is to say fingerprints weren't old from touching them at gun show....

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they can be used for a machine gun right? These may have been military or law enforcement for all I know. In fact there is a military base no more than a mile away. Maybe they were dropped from some soldier's ammo belt. No idea.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
But they can be used for a machine gun right? These may have been military or law enforcement for all I know. In fact there is a military base no more than a mile away. Maybe they were dropped from some soldier's ammo belt. No idea.
LoL.. Technically no. The term "machine gun" is generally reserved for heavy weapons like the belt fed Browning 1919A3 and things of that nature. An M16 while capable of full auto fire is a select fire lightweight assault weapon. The media would have you believe however, that anything with a detachable magazine is a machine gun or an assault weapon. Neither of those things are true. Also with reference to whether or not they are military or law enforcement, there is no difference between those and the ones us common citizens can buy. In fact the cheap ones flooding the market these days are military surplus mags sold by the crate full at government surplus auctions.. And for the record.. This is a "machine gun" Hope this helps...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBANDIT is correct again, the M-16 isn't a machine gun nor is the AK-47 or AR-15 used by both military and civilian. .

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Not to stray into the grey area of politics I will reserve my comment to how the media operates. They think that if they call this a Giraffe enough times you will believe it is a Giraffe... This concludes todays lesson... lol

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 722

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why is a Thompson called a sub-machine gun and an M-16 is called an assault weapon. Both are hand held carbine type weapons that can be fired fully automatic

Attachments

• Submachine_gun_M1928_Thompson.jpg
    Submachine_gun_M1928_Thompson.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 89

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Why is a Thompson called a sub-machine gun and an M-16 is called an assault weapon. Both are hand held carbine type weapons that can be fired fully automatic
Good question. The term "Assault weapon" is generally believed to have first been used to describe the WWII German STG44 rifle which was a lightweight stamped steel select fire weapon. It's been used since then to describe similar type weapons. The Thompson is cool but it's old school. Heavy machined steel parts and solid wood furniture. Naturally there are some crossover weapons that fit both categories. German STG44. Considered by many to be the first "assault weapon". In fact Sturmgewehr is the German word for assault rifle.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44

Attachments

• Sturmgewehr_44.jpg
    Sturmgewehr_44.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Assault is for sounding scary or intimidating. Not defensive regardless of the threat. Folks who have questionable plumbing use words to describe things that offend their delicate senses in a way to garner support in giving objects character that can then be assaulted. To define an AR as meaning assault rifle is incorrect. ArmaLite is the AR.
A weapon can be used for offence or defense. Calling it an assault rifle is not going to allow it's use for only such is it?
Assault - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Here is an early assault weapon.
IMG_0068.JPG

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. The term "Assault weapon" is generally believed to have first been used to describe the WWII German STG44 rifle which was a lightweight stamped steel select fire weapon. It's been used since then to describe similar type weapons. The Thompson is cool but it's old school. Heavy machined steel parts and solid wood furniture. Naturally there are some crossover weapons that fit both categories. German STG44. Considered by many to be the first "assault weapon". In fact Sturmgewehr is the German word for assault rifle.. StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know your stuff. :thumbsup:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I call them my Homeland security tools. That goes right along with the 2nd amendment . We are the weapon, rifles, pistol, shotguns are just tools, to protect or have fun target practicing with. But not scary with a properly trained individual . Rant off. Happy Hunting. RJ

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's becasue in Georgia practicing your 2nd Amendment right is still allowed. Any magazine that holds more than 7-15 rounds (or something around that number) has been illegal since 2013. So if I was pulled over on may way home, and I had brought these with me, I could have been fined / jailed (becasue they hold around 30 rounds each I think). That's NYC for ya - where the 2nd amendment only applies to those rich enough to afford the lawyers, licences, tests, etc. to legally own a gun / gun parts / or even a knife over 3 inches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's becasue in Georgia practicing your 2nd Amendment right is still allowed. Any magazine that holds more than 7-15 rounds (or something around that number) has been illegal since 2013. So if I was pulled over on may way home, and I had brought these with me, I could have been fined / jailed (becasue they hold around 30 rounds each I think). That's NYC for ya - where the 2nd amendment only applies to those rich enough to afford the lawyers, licences, tests, etc. to legally own a gun / gun parts / or even a knife over 3 inches.
Personally I would pack up and move.[emoji106]

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find ! But, Illegal or No,
I would have taken them home

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is a Thompson called a sub-machine gun and an M-16 is called an assault weapon. Both are hand held carbine type weapons that can be fired fully automati

Submachine guns use pistol ammo.Assault rifles commonly use intermediate ammo,in between pistol ammo and rifle ammo.Light machine guns as in the Browning .30 caliber uses rifle ammo,the Browning .50 caliber is a heavy machine gun,the cartridge is in a class by itself.Though today there is a rifle made to handle it.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have thought twice about taking those if I saw them. I'll bet the guy you told about them is glad to have them though. To add a bit to the history lesson here, the Thompson, and others of it's era like the Sten, Sterling, PPSH and the German MP-40 (Maschinenpistole-1940) are known as "sub-machine guns" mainly because they are compact weapons capable of full auto fire,and the "machine gun" moniker was all the rage back then. The term stuck and still is used for select fire guns chambered for a pistol round that are too big to be called a "machine pistol". The term "assault rifle" would not come on the scene until much later in 1944. However, some people contend, and I tend to agree that even though it wasn't called one, and while the STG-44 gets the credit the U.S. M-1 Carbine was actually the first practical "assault rifle" Her's a pic of one, and you can see all the "EVIL SCARY BITS" which qualify it as an assault rifle, including a folding stock, pistol grip, detachable box mag, and bayonet lug.... some versions even had those nasty flash hiders as well.

m1.jpg

Back to those mags you found though.... if you find any more, PM me and I'll pay the postage to have them.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The M-2 carbine was a true assault weapon.The select fire feature made it one.The standard M-1 though originally designed to have select fire,but it was rushed into production and the select fire feature was omitted .The standard M-1 carbine is only a carbine,not an assault weapon.The select fire feature makes all the difference.The Sturmgewehr 44 was in service in 1942,the M-2 was in service in 1944.The STG is the true father of the assault weapon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread