My Nicest Old Lock Yet! Any help with age appreciated

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a small window this morning and I wanted to hike in to an area to see what it looked like. The path in is close to rr tracks and on the hike I got a big loud signal and out came this old lock. I know it's not super old but I've always wanted to find a nice looking old lock and this baby fits that description. Amazingly I took my thumb and was able to easily push the lock cover over. Amazing that it still works so easily. We just don't make big rugged items like this anymore. I'd love to know the age and any info about it. Thanks guys. I'm guessing mid 1800s
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 12
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great looking locks guys and great info as well. I appreciate it. Good luck out there

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! It looks like a similar design to my B&O Railroad Box Car Lock! I found this one close to a railroad too... the B&O Railroad! ha Solid brass and heavy duty... also looks about the same size as yours.

View attachment 1070005 View attachment 1070006

The date on this one is 1920's to 1930's, made by Fraim-Slaymaker Hardware Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania
looks older than that to me....:dontknow:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks older than that to me....:dontknow:

You know... I thought so too. It just looks old! Since Ahab8's appeared to be a RR lock, I thought it might help with dating. I don't know much about locks (except they're awesome to dig). but I would assume that its not necessarily the style of them, but rather how they were made and the mechanism they used, which would better determine date. A similar B&O lock was dated Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine - Ask Mark Parker here (second item down). So I concluded my research when I saw that link! It's too bad there are not any markings on Ahab8's which could help with the date.

My favorite and oldest lock is one I dug years ago and I believe dates to the early to mid 1800's. Parts of it appear hand forged. The copper\brass had an amazing emerald green patina.... that I had to ruin when I stabilized the iron with electrolysis. (It was slowly flaking away over the years before i zapped it)
IMG_20141023_072342_824.jpg IMG_20141023_072419_503.jpg IMG_20141023_072434_558.jpg

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very similar padlocks to Ahad's can have a pat. date of atleast back to the 1870's, but agree that the style was used up until atleast the 20's. I'm sure bigger companies kept a large stash and continued using them even later.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous lock Abe! stunning condition as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread