🥇 BANNER Dream find realized...and it tells a story!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some of you out there were like me back when I was a kid...a dreamer! In my preteens I absolutely loved watching the old western movies and even those swashbucklers having those great adventures. I always dreamed of finding buried treasure or a gun that someone lost in a gunfight!! I would literally have these dreams in my early teens of a shootout on a hill or cliff with the bad guy being shot off his horse and his gun that was in his hand ends up going over the side too. Well after getting into the hobby in 1975 and graduating from coinshooting to my passion of relic hunting in 1987, one of my dreams has been fulfilled...not buried treasure, but finding a complete revolver!! Not only finding, but eyeballing it!!!

Here is the story - I decided to break away from my norm of relic hunting and hunt a local route used by emigrants, trappers, miners, soldiers, etc. After pretty much exhausting the day with some occasional lead & Henry shell casings being found and a friendly wave to the rancher and his dog as they pass by on his ATV, I change my strategy. I noticed some high rock outcroppings away from the normal area traveled and on a whim started up a wash to go hunt them. Some more fired round balls were found along with various caliber fired bullets. Then, there...about 15 feet ahead, on the side of the wash, under a bush, I thought I saw a cylinder of a gun peaking out through the grass! Upon getting closer to it I knew I wasn't dreaming, it was a cylinder. My immediate thought went back to my childhood days and the countless dreams of finding a complete gun. As I slowly bent down to check it out and the closer I got, I could barely see the grip under the grass!! My heart really started racing then and I was so hoping that it was in a whole state. After setting down my detector and taking the "as found" pictures, I gently pull it from it's resting place and immediately see that it is not a whole gun. It was missing part of the barrel. I turned it over and then saw the big picture! In the lower part of the barrel were round balls all compressed together still fused together attached to the barrel. No wonder the barrel blew apart! I then noticed that half of the main spring was missing and there was one round ball still in the cylinder! After some pics. were taken of the revolver my main focus was now on finding the blown apart barrel, even if it took me until dark! Fortunately for me, it only took me about 20 seconds!! There about 1 foot away was the barrel, the other half of the main spring and a conical bullet!!! You can just imagine how ecstatic I was in finding the rest of the revolver!!!! It may not be a whole gun but it is a whole gun pieced together and what a story it tells!!!!! Because, in the blown off barrel piece I find another bullet wedged in it as well! I have spun so many scenarios in my mind as to just how this happened and what was going on that I think I could write the screenplay for a movie!!!!! What do you guys & gals think?

Research - Upon researching it I believe what I have is an 1851 Model Colt Navy Revolver. The serial number is 134083 and my hunting partner CC Hunter researched it to have been manufactured in 1863. Right in the middle of the Civil War!!!!!!! Also upon researching, found that it was a popular gun used by such guys as Wild Bill Hickok, Doc Holliday, Robert E. Lee, Quantrill's Raiders to name just a few.

I hope you can appreciate one of my personal dream finds becoming a reality! I would even go on to say that I am placing it right up there with one of my "top 10 finds" I have ever found!! Yes, even more so than some of my gold coins I have found! (and I have found two more since my last time posting)

Okay enough of the dialogue...here are the pics.!!

IM

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 987
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 985
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 875
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 922
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 993
Upvote 95

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! That is one incredible find, I've heard of them being found before will bullets lodged in the barrel, and the theory is that under pressure people didn't get them loaded with enough powder or accidentally spilled it out because they were shaking too badly to get it loaded right....

However it happened I'm sure there is a great story behind it that we will probably never know. You may want to do some research and see if there are any reports of gunfights in that area in old papers, or any outlaws that went through there.

Also you might want to check the brush a bit and make sure the guy who dropped it isn't still there as well :tongue3:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finally finding your gun Larry. I know you have fount plenty of parts over the years. That one sure is bizarre with all lead in the barrel.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Ironman , finding an antique revolver is Second on my Bucket list after detecting a fist sized Gold nugget , way!!! Cool ..cheers Mick

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice find! Congratulations!

Steve

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find, and the insitu pic is priceless. Like stepping back in time. Just don't get any better than that.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that's something you don't see everyday,.the poor soul who fired that thing back in the day likely suffered some serious injuries, look at the size of that massive revolver! talk about a story indeed!!

Put that baby in a display case, congrats!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The vote has gone in on this amazing recovery, lots of parts have been posted, lead, casings, but to get a whole Colt showing the lead stuck in the broken barrel is a first class find that would make any display case owner proud.:notworthy:

Southern loyalist

Jun 6, 2011
Great find! I found a fully loaded and capped 1861 Colt Navy over 20 years ago. Still my prized find - ever! Take your time with the restoration process, electrolysis etc. Also, contact Colt and see if you can get a letter on this revolver. Many of their records were destroyed by fire but they can tell you if yours is one that they can pull. Spending the money on the letter is great for your display and will show you where your revolver was originally shipped to from the Colt factory, original finish, etc. Again, fantastic find!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dreams do come true! Congrat's on yours becoming reality. I'd like to sit down with that Colt Revolver and listen to a story or two it has to tell.

^^^This! Grats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find.

I guess that Conical was cast too big or maybe it was a 'Squib' fire' In-Sufficient powder charge.'

Who ever blew it up was likely Firing in a hurry. "One Can Only Imagine"
BANNER

Davers

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that fantastic eye find !!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a spectacular relic!Congratulations

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super super cool find!! Congrats on truly a find of a lifetime and on making banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread