🥇 BANNER Dream find realized...and it tells a story!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some of you out there were like me back when I was a kid...a dreamer! In my preteens I absolutely loved watching the old western movies and even those swashbucklers having those great adventures. I always dreamed of finding buried treasure or a gun that someone lost in a gunfight!! I would literally have these dreams in my early teens of a shootout on a hill or cliff with the bad guy being shot off his horse and his gun that was in his hand ends up going over the side too. Well after getting into the hobby in 1975 and graduating from coinshooting to my passion of relic hunting in 1987, one of my dreams has been fulfilled...not buried treasure, but finding a complete revolver!! Not only finding, but eyeballing it!!!

Here is the story - I decided to break away from my norm of relic hunting and hunt a local route used by emigrants, trappers, miners, soldiers, etc. After pretty much exhausting the day with some occasional lead & Henry shell casings being found and a friendly wave to the rancher and his dog as they pass by on his ATV, I change my strategy. I noticed some high rock outcroppings away from the normal area traveled and on a whim started up a wash to go hunt them. Some more fired round balls were found along with various caliber fired bullets. Then, there...about 15 feet ahead, on the side of the wash, under a bush, I thought I saw a cylinder of a gun peaking out through the grass! Upon getting closer to it I knew I wasn't dreaming, it was a cylinder. My immediate thought went back to my childhood days and the countless dreams of finding a complete gun. As I slowly bent down to check it out and the closer I got, I could barely see the grip under the grass!! My heart really started racing then and I was so hoping that it was in a whole state. After setting down my detector and taking the "as found" pictures, I gently pull it from it's resting place and immediately see that it is not a whole gun. It was missing part of the barrel. I turned it over and then saw the big picture! In the lower part of the barrel were round balls all compressed together still fused together attached to the barrel. No wonder the barrel blew apart! I then noticed that half of the main spring was missing and there was one round ball still in the cylinder! After some pics. were taken of the revolver my main focus was now on finding the blown apart barrel, even if it took me until dark! Fortunately for me, it only took me about 20 seconds!! There about 1 foot away was the barrel, the other half of the main spring and a conical bullet!!! You can just imagine how ecstatic I was in finding the rest of the revolver!!!! It may not be a whole gun but it is a whole gun pieced together and what a story it tells!!!!! Because, in the blown off barrel piece I find another bullet wedged in it as well! I have spun so many scenarios in my mind as to just how this happened and what was going on that I think I could write the screenplay for a movie!!!!! What do you guys & gals think?

Research - Upon researching it I believe what I have is an 1851 Model Colt Navy Revolver. The serial number is 134083 and my hunting partner CC Hunter researched it to have been manufactured in 1863. Right in the middle of the Civil War!!!!!!! Also upon researching, found that it was a popular gun used by such guys as Wild Bill Hickok, Doc Holliday, Robert E. Lee, Quantrill's Raiders to name just a few.

I hope you can appreciate one of my personal dream finds becoming a reality! I would even go on to say that I am placing it right up there with one of my "top 10 finds" I have ever found!! Yes, even more so than some of my gold coins I have found! (and I have found two more since my last time posting)

Okay enough of the dialogue...here are the pics.!!

IM

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 985
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 875
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 922
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 993
Upvote 95

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Stupendous find!! I wonder if someone sabotaged someone else's pistol, but the owner should've felt the 'forward heavy' feel with all those bullets in the barrel.

"It's a myst'ry!"

OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote in and couldnt have come to a better friend and person.An epic find and story that will be told for generations

Thanks my friend! And what stories will be told...the imagination can run wild!!

OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA - You're right Steve! As you have seen in the past, I have found literally over a hundred plus gun parts. With some being close to a whole gun. This one will have its own display for sure!! Thanks Steve!!!

ANTIQUARIAN - Thanks Dave! Hope all is well with you!!

Devonrex - Thanks John! Keep up the amazing finds you have a gift for finding!!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! I have been working lately and after being gone from the house for 15 hrs. a day it's tough to get on a computer. I will be posting a followup post of the other side of the gun to prove the theory that the barrel was most definitely blown apart!!

IM

OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream find realized...Part II

I have been totally swamped since posting my revolver and finally have time to post some more pics. I took pics. of the other side of the gun and also the other half of the main spring and loose bullet. When piecing the parts together there is still another piece or pieces missing where the round balls are compressed together. Upon a closer look of the bullet I dug with the broken barrel piece, I am convinced that it was in the barrel as well! If you look at the bullet, you will see some iron fuzed to the lead!! When I looked at it in the field the nose had a blueish green tint to it. The bullet inside the broken barrel has the same colored tint. So I am thinking when I pulled it out of it's resting place the bullet dislodged from the other bullet in the barrel. I am definitely in no shape or form a gun expert so I'll let the speculations continue on just what was going on. I have a friend who thinks that the first shot was a light charge causing the first bullet to not travel very far?

I'll let the pictures tell their own story and maybe someone can help put the story together!!

IM

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 155

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with your friend. And what a stellar find!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still amazed at that find, my grandfather gave me his Model 1858 Remington .44 army before he died he dredged out of Chesapeake bay, sadly it's in worse condition than the gun you found, probably the salt water. The one my grandfather gave me is still loaded in a few chambers.

=dfvr4gfvr5ny65t.jpg

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRONMAN, THAT'S AWESOME, NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT. I WOULD GIVE UP ALL OF THE GOLD I HAVE FOUND TO MAKE A FIND LIKE YOURS.
GREAT STORIES AND THAT CHUNK OF ROCK THAT YOU USED TO DISPLAY IT ON WOULD LOOK AWESOME TO MOUNT AND DISPLAY IT. (USING HOOKS, NOT GLUE) THE PHOTOS TELL ALL OF THE STORY THAT YOU NEED FOR IT.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Bout 150 years ago, someone had a really bad day. 150 years later leads to a really really good day. Time is funny like that.

I keep seeing in my head some civil war soldier pulling the trigger on that gun and then cussing up a storm.

Super find. Congrats.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find Larry! Definitely a Banner, way to go buddy

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on Banner and the find of a lifetime! :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quite odd indeed to have so many rounds stuck in it's barrel like that --wonder if the barrel blew up on the first shot (stay dirt blocked the barrel) but the desperate gun owner kept on firing anyway with the rounds just stacking up --clearly someone or something made the gun owner desperate enough to keep firing with a blown apart barrel...great find --likely there's a set of bones nearby of the owner. if the gun blowing up didn't kill em ,whatever he was shooting at most likely did..

BerntOut

Jan 12, 2010
South West USA
Detector(s) used
Deus, BlissTool V3, CTX, Vallon VCM1, ......forgot the others!
Just saw this post of your Navy Colt. My .02 thoughts are it Looks like the conical might have been jammed in the barrel due to a short load or wrong size bullet. The person shooting the gun was in a running gun battle and probably never knew the bullets were not heading down wind. I bet he was wondering why his targets were not dropping?:dontknow:

What a cool find. Back in the mid 70's and into the mid 80's I spent countless days looking for a cache of guns. According to a newspaper article which listed items purchased by the massacred party one day prior to departure west and items known to have been stashed by the Apaches in a crevasse in the rocks off the trail. Never found them but had a great time and found a lot of other cool things lying on the ground! I had a Rancher tell me the guns had been recovered in the sixties but I kept on looking cuz he had no proof or who had found them.

The bullet jammed .357 picture above is amazing and goes to show how good the steel is in today's modern guns and how stupid some gun owners are!

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting and well told, thanks for shareing. Hutch.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wanted to say congratulations on getting your article published in Western & Eastern Treasures Larry! :thumbsup:

The temps are steadily rising here in the east, so hopefully we'll all be back 'in-the-field' soon! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you this year Larry,
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say congratulations on getting your article published in Western & Eastern Treasures Larry! :thumbsup:

The temps are steadily rising here in the east, so hopefully we'll all be back 'in-the-field' soon! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you this year Larry,
Dave

Thank You Dave! I see we share opposite pages from each other!! Congrats go out to you as well my friend!!!

I hope you are able to get out soon! My latest find is a seated liberty dime made into a rowel for a spur!!

Thanks again Dave,
Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread