Large silver cross marked .925.....is this sterling silver or plated?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy everyone! I was hunting this afternoon and not having much success. The place kept teasing me first with a 1965 Roosevelt dime followed by a 1967 Roosevelt dime..........so close! Finally I turned up an old Tootsietoy in nice shape. A short time later I got a very strong 93-94 on my XP Deus which would normally be a silver quarter. Out popped this silver cross. I poured a little water on it and gently wiped it with my towel and it cleaned right up beautifully which made me think it was silver. With my loupe I was able to read .925 on the back. There appear to be a couple letters before the .925 but I am unable to accurately read them even with magnification. I'm of course hoping it's Sterling silver. It is not magnetic. What do you guys think? It measures 2 1/4" tall x 1 15/16" wide.

Sorry for the bad photos. Not shot in natural light so they have a yellow/gold hue but it is bright silver.

001.JPG
002.JPG

This is a slightly better picture I took a bit ago with natural light. At least now it looks silver.
001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize you are old, but the focus on the pic is bad , or you are just shaking like a kid who just saw his first set of boobies. guess the spoon, cross and silver coins are reward for your abysmal performance this month in the Empire state. you done kicked butt. melt on the cross around $16, jewelry value about 1 crispy C NOTE. tell Steve he can have his toasted LC's, you hit paydirt !!!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beez, I don't know how accurate this is, but supposedly you can wet the cross with plain tap water and crumple aluminum foil around it. If it is silver you will hear a crackling sound and smell a sulfur smell. This is supposedly a form of electrolysis. Good luck in finding out.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize you are old, but the focus on the pic is bad , or you are just shaking like a kid who just saw his first set of boobies. guess the spoon, cross and silver coins are reward for your abysmal performance this month in the Empire state. you done kicked butt. melt on the cross around $16, jewelry value about 1 crispy C NOTE. tell Steve he can have his toasted LC's, you hit paydirt !!!!

Now, now Rich! Just because Smittyman kicked your butt while we were up in NY there is no need to say stuff like that....LOL Steve is a super nice guy who wouldn't hurt a fly so I have to defend him. Hope you and Frank have some good finds soon. You're both due.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, :laughing7:

Rest assured you can stop testing that cross.. :laughing9: If it has the marks "Sterling" or .925 and comes out looking like that. You can most likely bet its silver ! :thumbsup:
Congratulations !! :icon_thumright:
Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread