Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A couple of days ago I received an email from a man asking me to help him better understand his Teknetics 4000 detector. He had been detecting the stone foundation of an 1820 homestead in a heavily wooded area on his property, but had only been able to find square nails and a horseshoe. He wasn't able to meet me until noon so I decided to hit the front yard of a 1925 school for a few hours first. This building has been sitting empty for a number of years and is likely to be torn down soon. :dontknow:

I hunted here for 2 hours and only covered a third of the yard, as I was being careful not to miss anything. My first find was a 1962 Panama Silver Quarter Balboa, at first I thought it might be a 'school coin' of some sort, but it felt too heavy. It was only when I got home and researched it that I found its .900 silver, weights .20oz and was minted in Philadelphia, PA! :thumbsup: At noon, I headed over to meet my new friend Todd and we proceeded to hike a mile into the dense woods behind his house to the stone foundation site. He told me that through his own research, he had found there had been farmhouse located here before 1820 and it was gone by 1900. The area was heavily forested and had a large swampy area close to it, consequently, swinging was a real challenge here. To make matters worse, the foundation was located on the side of a hill; there were mounds of dirt and very few flat areas near the house. I detected here for a little over an hour and feel fortunate for what I did find here... unfortunately Todd only found more square nails and trash! :laughing7:

My first find was the large pendant / brooch, next came the brass saddle shield or rosette, lastly I found the iron horse buckle. After making these finds I didn't find anything else, so I decided to call it a day!

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC10133.JPG
    SDC10133.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 143
  • SDC10137.JPG
    SDC10137.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 171
  • SDC10135.JPG
    SDC10135.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 147
  • SDC10136.JPG
    SDC10136.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2102.jpg
    IMG_2102.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 139
  • SDC10132.JPG
    SDC10132.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 147
  • SDC10139.JPG
    SDC10139.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 151
  • SDC10131.JPG
    SDC10131.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 155
  • SDC10141.JPG
    SDC10141.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 139
  • SDC10206.JPG
    SDC10206.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 137
  • SDC10229.JPG
    SDC10229.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 155
  • SDC10225.JPG
    SDC10225.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 166
  • SDC10219.JPG
    SDC10219.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 132
  • SDC10218.JPG
    SDC10218.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 135
  • SDC10208.JPG
    SDC10208.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 15

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The building has a familiar ring to it, but many of them have the same looking facade to them. Nice going to the silver!, a different find for sure.
Some of the remote cellar holes are so overgrown that swinging a coil isn't much fun, more like lift and place the coil between the saplings. That and the folks were so dirt poor that there was little lost in the first place as every cent counted in life.
You managed a few finds and it might be worth a return hunt in the early spring before the undergrowth has a chance to grow.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job in giving your friend his first lesson in detecting ~ your partner will get the good stuff, no matter that the site is yours, lol! I like the Balboa cause 1962 was such a good year. It produced me!
Very good finds Dave.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good man, cool balboa.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Balboa is really nice. Relics are good also. Congrats. GL&HH!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, I love the big silver coin and the rosette is really cool too!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Dave on sniffin out the goodies! Looks like you really were out in the middle of nowhere.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin Dave, funny how some of those old CHs just don't produce. I guess that these people were not that wealthy and very careful with what little money they did have.
ZDD

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice on the Balboa - really a nice sight coming out of the ground no doubt ! Makes you wonder how hard that school yard has been worked ?

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice finds, big chunk of silver,

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice of you for helping him learn how to use his detector. I once saw a 1967 Panama quarter in my coin shop's foreign coins, it had a clad edge the same as an american clad quarter's. Congrats on the silver. It appears that Panama followed america in 1966, and minted clad dimes, and quarters, and 40% silver half dollars and dollars.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on a great looking silver coin and other goodies! Congrats!
So did you at lest give him a few pointers? There should be more rusty relics there. They may not have had a lot of coins back in the day but they did have a lot of metal items.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. My favorite kind of detecting is in the middle of no where. Those old farmers picked some strange places to live.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some nice finds! Love the "Balboa"!

Thanks IA and it's heavy too! :laughing7:
I like the fact that these were minted in PA!
Dave

The building has a familiar ring to it, but many of them have the same looking facade to them. Nice going to the silver!, a different find for sure.
Some of the remote cellar holes are so overgrown that swinging a coil isn't much fun, more like lift and place the coil between the saplings. That and the folks were so dirt poor that there was little lost in the first place as every cent counted in life.
You managed a few finds and it might be worth a return hunt in the early spring before the undergrowth has a chance to grow.
Thanks for your post J, I'm heading down your way next week! :occasion14:
I love hunting old school sites like this, you never know what's going to show up.
I found the silver on the hill in front of the school, I figured that's where the kids would've sat before class. :icon_scratch:

I'd definitely like to make a return trip to the stone foundation in the spring... with lots of Muskol! :laughing7:
Dave

Great job in giving your friend his first lesson in detecting ~ your partner will get the good stuff, no matter that the site is yours, lol! I like the Balboa cause 1962 was such a good year. It produced me!
Very good finds Dave.

Thanks for your post Dave!
He's only had his detector for a month and wants to find silver RIGHT NOW!! :laughing7:
As we all know, this isn't how it works, you have to put in the time to learn your machine.

Take care buddy,
Dave

Nice digs.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Looking good man, cool balboa.
Thanks buddy! :occasion14:
Dave

The Balboa is really nice. Relics are good also. Congrats. GL&HH!

Thanks very much Tom, best of luck to you as well! :thumbsup:

Nice finds!

Thank you! :icon_thumright:

Nice finds!

Thank you Sir! :icon_salut:

Dave, I love the big silver coin and the rosette is really cool too!

Thanks very much Steve... only a couple of weeks left till the 'big freeze'! :laughing7:
Dave

WTG Dave on sniffin out the goodies! Looks like you really were out in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for your post Rebel! :occasion14:
It just amazes me why people would choose to live in a remote location like this.
But back then maybe it was part of a now long gone community. :dontknow:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

You're very welcome, thanks for your post! :thumbsup:
Dave

Awesome coin Dave, funny how some of those old CHs just don't produce. I guess that these people were not that wealthy and very careful with what little money they did have.
ZDD

As you well know Dave, we all want to find an old silver or copper coin when we get the opportunity to detect a spot like this.
But the reality is, "that we get what we get and we don't get upset"! :laughing7:

Take care buddy,
Dave

Very nice on the Balboa - really a nice sight coming out of the ground no doubt ! Makes you wonder how hard that school yard has been worked ?

As always, I'm grateful for your post and insight Arg!
I think most of these old school sites have all been heavily detected over the years.
All I can hope for is that they missed something... like this quarter Balboa! :thumbsup:
Dave

Those are some nice finds, big chunk of silver,
Thanks very much RJ! :occasion14:
Dave

Awesome finds!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Nice of you for helping him learn how to use his detector. I once saw a 1967 Panama quarter in my coin shop's foreign coins, it had a clad edge the same as an american clad quarter's. Congrats on the silver. It appears that Panama followed america in 1966, and minted clad dimes, and quarters, and 40% silver half dollars and dollars.

Thanks for your post and for the information coinman! :icon_thumright:
I thought it was so cool when I found out this coin had been minted in Philadelphia!

Glad I found it dating before 1966! :laughing7:
Dave

Nice score on a great looking silver coin and other goodies! Congrats!
So did you at lest give him a few pointers? There should be more rusty relics there. They may not have had a lot of coins back in the day but they did have a lot of metal items.

Thanks for your post BB! :thumbsup:
I gave Todd the same advice given me when I started detecting 4 years ago... dig everything!
This is the only way you're going to learn what's under your coil!

He's going to do just fine, he's been bitten by the same detecting bug that got us! :laughing7:
Dave

Nice finds. My favorite kind of detecting is in the middle of no where. Those old farmers picked some strange places to live.

I love detecting in the woods too GL, it's quiet and you never know what you'll find at an undetected site.
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread