Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Have hammered a spot on 6 different days. I got (wheat cents) 12, 10, 5, 8 after a rain, 4, and 8 with a new coil after another rain, respectively. Dates range from 1919-1953. Most are in the 30's.

That's 47 wheats! This is only a 20x15 foot area. No other denominations and tragically no silv. I've picked all iffy signals but I'm out of gas. I hit it often since it's 2 minutes from my house and it's a corner of a park. It makes me wonder what used to be back there

Ever have this problem?

Upvote 7

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting an area in a baseball field... Good silver signal every 4 inches all around, I dug like 30 wheat's and nothing else.. I was very disappointed, I thought for sure I would find a silver after finding all those wheat's... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back again and go r-e-e-e-a-a-a-l-l-l-y slow, I bet there's more deep ones there.

Tuggerman

Jan 1, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a spot that I've pulled 30 pennies. Mostly 20s and older and 6 Indians thrown in. Hardly any trash so I dig everything and have no nickels or silver to show for it (not counting clad which is sparse but present). Boggles my mind!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems strange to me that earlier generations of detectorists would have cherry picked the silver , and left all those wheats , cause some of them could have been
silver dimes or Indian Head cents .

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember what a dime would've bought back then, I do.
If someone dropped a dime back then, bigger deal than today.
Pennies, not so much.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lest your coin spill is wheats! Congrats! Two weeks back I dug a zinc coin spill 18x18" area 1-2" deep. 106 of the little boogers! And there's still more! I had to give up because my back was hurting.
Well now you have the wheats out of the way there maybe silver there too.:icon_thumleft:
Possible a corner newspaper stand or where the ice cream truck used to stop?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments -great insights around this forum. Ok I'm pumped, once again, to go back in the wheat pit and find some more. Here's a pendant I found over there. About the only other thing I found that's of interest

Attachments

• image-1600640887.jpg
    image-1600640887.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 85

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard the saying, "Where there's wheats, there's silver." And it's used to death and as a gospel truth.
But, the rest of that thought is never mentioned. Sure, there's silver! OR, (and this is important), there used to be.

I swear! I do believe that some people actually think that silver coins are a crop that just needs to be harvested every so often. They don't grow in there folks! LOL

Also, that a place can NEVER be hunted out. There's ALWAYS something there. This is close to true but a place is never hunted out UNTIL it's all gone. ;)

As it applies to your situation, if you are finding plentiful wheats, your odds of finding silver is way high! It might take removing the pennies to get to them. Or maybe cleaning out the "trash". Or maybe, even, checking the holes dug very closely for deeper signals.

Anyone who was doing a "cherry picking" excursion, has absolutely missed things. Even if they didn't dig "penny" signals, a lot of deeper silver dimes might ring up as a penny, or less. Keep at it and see where the wheats stop. Pay attention to the iffy signals.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liken wheat pennies while metal detecting to finding black sand in my pan when gold mining. You will NOT always find gold if you are finding black sand BUT your odds are improved. Same with metal detecting. If you're finding wheat pennies then the targets are of an age that silver coins are possible. I happen to love finding wheat pennies for some odd reason. They get me pumped up and anticipating a silver coin signal.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice spot even if no silver, doing good lately to find even one wheat per hunt here !

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a good problem to have

Yeah, first thing that popped into my head, great minds think alike.

Keep hitting that spot, I mean look at that FOB, that is so cool, if you had just said, darn wheats, nothing but wheats here, then you wouldn't have hit on that great FOB.

We all should have these problems, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread