ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammered's

Dad & I spent 2 days (7 hours) covering a hill top where there are some springs. We have only had a little bit of everything in the past & no more than about 30 roman coins (no silver). So we were pleased with this better than expected result. (most years we struggle to get 5 Roman coins)

Dad got the Lizzy hammered right at the start of the hunt, I followed with the very poor one, but the story on how I got the rare shortcross is more than lucky;
We had finished gridding the Roman site & decided to explore this large field a little bit more. I detected quickly over the hill & down the other side & I thought I would try a field that we had not hunted. When I got to the ditch I looked down 10 ft to the bottom which had a fair amount of water & thought it maybe safer not to try this one & head for the far entrance. As I was detecting alone the edge towards the entrance, I thought 'stuff this' I'll give it a go. Carefully I went down into the steep ditch, jumped the water, climped out with my detector ready to swing & the first hit I got about 20 paces in was the hammered! Gridded the area, nothing else, tried the rest of the field - nothing.

14 Roman Coins
13th C Annular Buckle
2 Fibula 1st C AD (ones a frag)
Roman Hair Pin - Complete!
Nice Lizzy Halfgroat 1582

Shortcross hammered of bad King John, hard one to ID, it looks to be a Class 5b with the moneyer (easy to read) - RAVF or RAUF. It seems to be an unpublished (can't find any reference to it) spelling of the mint - Winchester; WINCEE:headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 14

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hammy, could only find a reference to WINCE on Richard1st coins, but no RAUF for moneyer. John seems to be spelt just WIN, but as you know most coin makers were illiterate any way...good day.:thumbsup:

SS

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Dad & I spent 2 days (7 hours) covering a hill top where there are some springs. We have only had a little bit of everything in the past & no more than about 30 roman coins (no silver). So we were pleased with this better than expected result. (most years we struggle to get 5 Roman coins)

Dad got the Lizzy hammered right at the start of the hunt, I followed with the very poor one, but the story on how I got the rare shortcross is more than lucky;
We had finished gridding the Roman site & decided to explore this large field a little bit more. I detected quickly over the hill & down the other side & I thought I would try a field that we had not hunted. When I got to the ditch I looked down 10 ft to the bottom which had a fair amount of water & thought it maybe safer not to try this one & head for the far entrance. As I was detecting alone the edge towards the entrance, I thought 'stuff this' I'll give it a go. Carefully I went down into the steep ditch, jumped the water, climped out with my detector ready to swing & the first hit I got about 20 paces in was the hammered! Gridded the area, nothing else, tried the rest of the field - nothing.

14 Roman Coins
13th C Annular Buckle
2 Fibula 1st C AD (ones a frag)
Roman Hair Pin - Complete!
Nice Lizzy Halfgroat 1582

Shortcross hammered of bad King John, hard one to ID, it looks to be a Class 5b with the moneyer (easy to read) - RAVF or RAUF. It seems to be an unpublished (can't find any reference to it) spelling of the mint - Winchester; WINCEE:thumbsup:
Nice Lizzie Cru :thumbsup:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it enough that you find the greatest coins and relics on Earth, now the detecting gods are even carrying you to them. Sheesh!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super GREAT Finds!!
couple thousand years and more, of history to find...!
You truly ARE a lucky guy!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It is strange how sometimes you can just pick out the best item in a 50-100 acre field. Lost count of how many times I have been guided to something real special. The Roman Bronze Bull is right up there in the memory of strange events.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great haul there...love the look of those coins...always look forward to your post...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have missed this. Glad to see the silver's popping for you, and of course the Romans which seem to fill your pouch on every outing. Nice going (again)!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool, so old, funny how things work in the luck department! Congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a real nice short cross you dug, John is that's not dug too often it seems. The Lizzie is also a nice Hammy, as is the hair pin.
I'm always really surprised at the amount of Romans dug by you two, they seem to be a fairly common find in your area of detecting.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real nice short cross you dug, John is that's not dug too often it seems. The Lizzie is also a nice Hammy, as is the hair pin.
I'm always really surprised at the amount of Romans dug by you two, they seem to be a fairly common find in your area of detecting.

Only common relatively speaking, you have to find the right spots.(which in our case means we have found loads & can rotate around them) We tried 3 fields next to this one & they were all blanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions