Msyterious Underground Structure

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting at my Second Seminole War fort a few days ago and i picked up an enormous iron signal on a 20 ft diameter mound. I dug through some limestone rocks and crumbly bricks and i could see a grate of some sort. Since i couldnt tell how big it was, I decided to leave it. Though I didnt fill in the hole. I went back today with Dad and brought along my detecting gear and an extra shovel for Dad. I showed Dad the mound and grate and he decided that I would go look for relics while he began excavating the grate area. I returned about 65-70 minutes later and he had done an incredible job uncovering the grate. He had a massive pile of limestone and broken bricks that he said were scattered throughout the dirt covering the grate. I got back just as he was getting ready to remove the massive grate; which turned out to be circular. I sat down and began to help remove dirt, loose rocks and broken bricks. After a while we decided it was time to call it a day, but that we would come back and take pictures. As we were about to leave he noticed writing on one of the only 6 compete bricks he had removed from the hole. We took it, along with two others home. After cleaning all three we realized they all bore the inscription T. Anderson. Later he dropped me back off at the place with several tools. I removed a lot more dirt and broken brick and then brushed off the brick structure. I also brought home the three other complete bricks, two of which said T. Anderson. and another that said T A & Sons. The excavated area measures 3' by 4'. Do you guys have any idea what this struture was? As i said before, the mound is about 20 feet across and has a ton of brick throughout it. Also, does anyone happen to know anything about the two bricks i posted? I'll let y'all know when we are able to go back and dig more! Thanks for looking!

HH

~Donney

P.S. The first thing Dad said to me when we realized we had an awesome structure was "Will we make banner this time?!?" I told him probably not but its worth a go :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 9

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue what it is but it's interesting and ill be waiting to hear more.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, either but it looks like some kind of catch basin and drain. Was the grate over the large part of the teardrop shaped brick part? Very neat.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water in it and see if it drains. If it does, follow the water. My first thought was cistern but dosen't appear deep enough. Sewer or storm water drain?
I like the bricks as I am a T. Anderson. Good luck.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
found this

Not Just Another Brick in the Wall: An Introduction to the Firebrick industry in the Upper
Ohio Valley and its impact on the Louisiana sugar industry.
Since 2008, Coastal Environments, Inc., (CEI) has conducted several phase 1 – 3 projects
involving sugarhouses. The most common artifacts found at sugarhouses are bricks of various
types, which include marked firebricks. Some of the bricks include marks that can be traced to
the St. Louis, Missouri area. Others have marks that have yet to be sourced. The unsourced
marks include: S.P. & Co., T.ANDERSON, FREEMAN, T.FREEMAN, PORTER&CO, T.A. &
Sons, and etc. If these bricks can be sourced and dated, then they would prove useful in helping
date phases of construction of sugar houses. The firebrick manufacturers of the Upper Ohio
River Valley were the first west of the Appalachian Mountains. These firebrick manufacturers
are possible candidates for a few of the unidentified firebricks.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this

Not Just Another Brick in the Wall: An Introduction to the Firebrick industry in the Upper
Since 2008, Coastal Environments, Inc., (CEI) has conducted several phase 1 – 3 projects
involving sugarhouses. The most common artifacts found at sugarhouses are bricks of various
types, which include marked firebricks. Some of the bricks include marks that can be traced to
the St. Louis, Missouri area. Others have marks that have yet to be sourced. The unsourced
Sons, and etc. If these bricks can be sourced and dated, then they would prove useful in helping
date phases of construction of sugar houses. The firebrick manufacturers of the Upper Ohio
River Valley were the first west of the Appalachian Mountains. These firebrick manufacturers

Good find!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a brick furnace.. :icon_scratch: Someone posted one here years ago !! :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know, either but it looks like some kind of catch basin and drain. Was the grate over the large part of the teardrop shaped brick part? Very neat.

yep, it was over the teardrop shape. So far thats one of the possibilities we are now considering. we'll know for sure once we are able to excavate more.

Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water in it and see if it drains. If it does, follow the water. My first thought was cistern but dosen't appear deep enough. Sewer or storm water drain?
I like the bricks as I am a T. Anderson. Good luck.

thanks man. Unfortunately, there's dirt all in it so it wouldn't have anywhere to drain, yet. its not a sewer or storm water drain because of where it is (out in the middle of a forest) I got a kick out of the fact that you're a T Anderson! :D

Cool! that could be what it is, definitely a possibility!

found this

Wow, thanks man! Interesting read, hopefully we'll be able to identify they're maker but i guess its not looking to hot.

E36graduate

Aug 27, 2014
Dighton, MA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350. Garrett AT Pro (new 3/26/16)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can u post some pics of the general landscape? It will help to get an idea of the terrain! I'm in. Massachusetts so I'm not looking to come steal your find!

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking it was used for cold smoking meat, fire was built in the center and was channeled underground to the smoke house.

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Can u post some pics of the general landscape? It will help to get an idea of the terrain! I'm in. Massachusetts so I'm not looking to come steal your find!

I wont be able to get back for a few days unfortunately (trust me though, i'm gonna try to go as soon as possible. Darn schoolwork) I cant really post pictures of the terrain because there is a good chance some locals on here may recognize it. But, i will tell you that it is mostly palmettos, and a few trees.

I'm thinking it was used for cold smoking meat, fire was built in the center and was channeled underground to the smoke house.

maybe a smokehouse, its hard to say for sure though if it is.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
QUOTE]

Not knowing how thick the bricks are around this, I would think that using a bottle probe would help you locate the end of it for a secondary exploratory dig hole to see where it goes. If the brick and rock is too thick then I would do a couple exploratory holes in line with where it appears to be heading. If a cistern then a house site should be near by.

One has to wonder why on top of a mound where the rain would drain off naturally? :icon_scratch:

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its the hatch from "Lost"

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 95% sure its a brick furnace.... :dontknow: There are many examples of these just do a Google search. A few different designs but this one is typical of a colonial brick furnace used to make the bricks you have posted. :thumbsup:

Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

Attachments

• brickfurnace.jpg
    brickfurnace.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 186

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
keep in mind that round iron grate too.

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
My Dad was able to get out there today and as you can see he cleared off more dirt behind the bricks. He was able to reveal solid limestone behind the bricks and he even dug down behind the limestone about 18 inches and never hit bottom. We're 99.99% sure he hit the old cistern from the Seminole War fort!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
also someone on another forum sent me this BRICK BLOG: H or M and T A and Sons So at least we now know the bricks date pre-1867! These specific bricks could also have been tossed on later because Dad said that when he originally found them they appeared to be tossed on. Either way, the bricks, along with the cistern, are super old!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread